Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Things like that have happened to me many, many times over the years. Sometime I've decided to wait before leaving the house, take a different train, eat in a different restaurant. In some instances, I may have avoided disaster. In others, I have no idea. I may have just changed my mind, but I'm not so sure. I had a feeling that I just shouldn't do what I had intended.

Once in a while, my brain, or something else, was trying to send a message. I would stop whatever I was doing and lapse into a 1,000 yard stare. I didn't voluntarily stop what I was doing; it just happened. I probably looked like someone having a petit mal seizure. I never saw a crisp picture or heard any words of warning--I just knew that something bad was going to happen. I never knew when, where, or to whom. I really disliked when that happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Thank you to all who are sharing their stories.

There are times when I'm driving and I will get a feeling to take another route. Later on, after returning home, I would notice that nothing bad happened along my regular route. However---who knows?---maybe if I didn't pay attention to that feeling that had me go a different way, something might have happened on the regular route.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you to all who are sharing their stories.

There are times when I'm driving and I will get a feeling to take another route. Later on, after returning home, I would notice that nothing bad happened along my regular route. However---who knows?---maybe if I didn't pay attention to that feeling that had me go a different way, something might have happened on the regular route.
I had a book about practicing using your intuition. It was pretty simple...ask the questions, wait for the answers, telling you to do it in everyday life. It was amazing to me how often the answer seemed "wrong" at first, but when I followed it (or didn't) it turned out to be the right thing to do.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a book about practicing using your intuition. It was pretty simple...ask the questions, wait for the answers, telling you to do it in everyday life. It was amazing to me how often the answer seemed "wrong" at first, but when I followed it (or didn't) it turned out to be the right thing to do.
I'm going to try this!^

Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
I had a premonition once. It came out of nowhere, lasted about a split second, I saw one scene, and it was gone.

Well, try as I might, I can't really figure out how to word this without just freaking saying what it was...

I was sitting at my computer talking to a friend...not the friend I'll be talking about in this story. For a split second, I saw a still scene. It came out of nowhere and had nothing to do at all with anything I was talking about. The scene was the front of a hospital I had never been to. The screen name of an online friend, one who lived in that city I had moved to but I had not yet met, flashed in red three times, and then the scene was gone.

Three days later I broke my ankle. The E/R where I went was the hospital I saw in that scene. I had never been to that hospital, and had only been in that city for 6 months.

Ended up that I needed a metal plate and pins put in. The person who came to pick me up after surgery was the online friend I had not yet met in real life. I did not ask them to pick me up, because my brother would have been the first choice, and was going to do that. My brother eventually did because it turned out that when I tried to get up after the surgery, I started to black out, and my blood pressure dropped pretty low so they made me stay overnight.

Of course people want to try to explain that away, make up some excuse to say it wasn't what I thought it was, whatever. It's the only time that I know of, or can remember, that I had a premonition come true.

What I think the OP is referring to is more like gut feeling, or intuition. In that case, heck yes, I get those all the time. I had a friend in college who was introducing me and our other friend to her new boyfriend. We drove to his house, he greeted us at the door, and the second that door opened, I felt, with an overwhelming feeling I'd never had before, that he was not a good person.

Everyone likes to pretend they know and say, "Oh he must have given you some clues, that's how you knew", no, he didn't. All he had done at that moment was open the front door and say, "Hi!" to us. I knew, right then.

We went in, he was cordial, he was respectful, everyone (except me) had a good time, and then we three friends all left for the evening. My friend who was dating this guy asked us what we thought as she drove us home. I stayed quiet and made the other girl answer, hoping that my friend would forget that she had asked me. Hoped that they would get distracted and I'd be home before she got my opinion.

Nope. She really wanted my opinion. The feeling was so strong, there was no way for me to lie. I tried to avoid answering, "It doesn't really matter what I think". She insisted. I said, "As long as you're happy, that's what matters". She pressed. "It's your life, you should do what you want to do". She got upset and demanded to know why I wouldn't answer her.

I finally told her that I didn't like him.

That didn't go over well, I knew it wouldn't go over well, but again, the feeling was way too strong to lie to her about it. This actually started the deterioration of our friendship.

Fast forward a few years later:

I was in a restaurant, with my unit, and I saw someone that looked like my friend from the back. I hadn't seen her in three years. I walked up to her, said her name, she turned around, saw it was me and started shaking.

She said, "OMG. OMG. OMG. You were right, he tried to kill me."

As I said, our friendship started to deteriorate after that night of me telling her I didn't like him and could not tell her why. And I couldn't, I had no idea why I didn't like him, but it was a very, very strong bad feeling. "I don't know WHY" is not a good enough answer for some people.

I saw her less and less, and eventually found out he was a control freak, and would park outside her job, waiting for her to get off shift..not as a ride home, the ENTIRE shift. I found out she had left town. I didn't know why. And I didn't see her again for three years. Until that day in the restaurant when she told me that my gut feeling, from the second he opened the front door, that I was right.

Am I glad I listened to them? What good did that do me? She didn't listen to me, and I couldn't explain to her WHY I had those strong feelings. There were no words to explain it. It sure as hell didn't make me happy that I was right.

She didn't lose her life, thankfully, but I did lose my friend.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 PM

^You're right. I should have used "gut feeling". Too bad I can't change the title now

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post, ThreeWolves.

I've had gut feelings about people and situations.

The 2 worst jobs I ever had, both times I had a gut feeling that things weren't going well. My head was telling me that things were going well---never heard a complaint from the bosses. Yet my gut was telling me otherwise. Sure enough, evaluation time came around and I was blind-sided. A lot of the things they complained about in the review were things that when they occurred, nothing was said. If something had been said, the problem either could have been corrected or any misunderstandings could have been cleared up. Sometimes, I would explain what was going on and figured all was well but instead, someone was still not happy. I couldn't win.

I once had a friend who had a whirlwind courtship. They knew each other because they volunteered in the same place. One day, they got to talking --- and within 2 weeks they were engaged. My gut told me that she was moving too fast. He was about to go work overseas for a year and hadn't seen his family in a long time. She suggested that they both move to the other end of the country where his family lived. That way when his job was over, he could come back to that area. I told her that she should just stay where she was because this was where her friends were and her family was a short drive away. She dismissed this.

Sure enough while he was away, he ended their relationship via email. She was stuck on the opposite side of the country. The whole time she was there she had only worked sporadically so she didn't have much money. What a mess!

I have long since learned to listen to my gut.

It's too bad that your friend ended your friendship due to your honesty with her.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:07 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
I had similar thing happen to me. I went to a party given by some friends and someone brought this guy. People flocked to him. When I got near him, my heart would pound. I now know that's my internal "crazy" alarm. When someone is really unhinged my flight or fight response kicks into overdrive and flight is pretty much my choice for everything.

A few months later I had lunch with one my friends who threw the party. He asked me if I remembered "Jake" -- not his real name, because I can't remember it -- and I said yeah. And that he sent my creep-o-meter off the charts.

My friend said "I can see that. Jake was always 'on'... and severely depressed." Soon after the party, Jake decided to embrace his dark side, started dabbling in Satanism, and when that didn't work either, committed suicide.

Which is sad.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 12-11-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 08:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Just dreams.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^You're right. I should have used "gut feeling". Too bad I can't change the title now

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post, ThreeWolves.

I've had gut feelings about people and situations.

The 2 worst jobs I ever had, both times I had a gut feeling that things weren't going well. My head was telling me that things were going well---never heard a complaint from the bosses. Yet my gut was telling me otherwise. Sure enough, evaluation time came around and I was blind-sided. A lot of the things they complained about in the review were things that when they occurred, nothing was said. If something had been said, the problem either could have been corrected or any misunderstandings could have been cleared up. Sometimes, I would explain what was going on and figured all was well but instead, someone was still not happy. I couldn't win.

I once had a friend who had a whirlwind courtship. They knew each other because they volunteered in the same place. One day, they got to talking --- and within 2 weeks they were engaged. My gut told me that she was moving too fast. He was about to go work overseas for a year and hadn't seen his family in a long time. She suggested that they both move to the other end of the country where his family lived. That way when his job was over, he could come back to that area. I told her that she should just stay where she was because this was where her friends were and her family was a short drive away. She dismissed this.

Sure enough while he was away, he ended their relationship via email. She was stuck on the opposite side of the country. The whole time she was there she had only worked sporadically so she didn't have much money. What a mess!

I have long since learned to listen to my gut.

It's too bad that your friend ended your friendship due to your honesty with her.
It wasn't necessarily because I was honest, it was because it freaked her out because she knew I had some good instincts, I've never been able to explain HOW I know things when those types of things happen. How can I? I don't even understand them, sometimes I just know things...but I guess she never thought any of them would pertain to her.

When I saw her three years later, all she could do was shake when she saw me, and the only words she said to me were the ones I wrote above. She didn't say, "hi", she didn't say "how have you been", nothing. It was obvious to me that I would be a constant reminder to her of all of it, and that whatever happened, (I still don't know the story), she was still dealing with, and it was still extremely upsetting to her. Me being a reminder to her every day was not what she needed at that time. So I let her go.

Here's another one that illustrates how it freaks people out:

I was at work one day, and was using the facilities. I walked out of the stall and a co-worker I knew was staring at herself in the giant mirror over the sinks. She looked at me through the mirror and said, "You will never guess what I just did".

Without even possibly being able to explain HOW I knew, I instantly said, without even really knowing I was going to say it, "You put your cigarette out in your eye, didn't you?"

She freaked out, started backing away from me with her hands up towards me and said, "How did you know that? How did you know that? Were you there? Were you outside?"

I hadn't been outside. I had been at my desk before I went in to the restroom. Her eye wasn't even red. There were no ash marks on her face, she looked perfectly normal. Even if she had been looking at her eye, and it was red, how the hell would I have known THAT?

Apparently her hand got stuck on the cigarette and she raised her hand towards her face and the cigarette went in to her eye. No major damage...well, except the fact that I freaked her out and she avoided me after that.

That happens to me a lot. I'm not trying to freak anyone out, sometimes, like I said, I just know and it makes people very uncomfortable.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,591,156 times
I've not had a premonition as such but two particular occasions strike me as more than coincidental, probably just intuition as it wasn't as if I knew what was going to happen rather I just said/felt something that I just felt like expressing without any necessary expectation at the time.

The first is when I was 13, my estranged Dad had throat cancer and my Mum was saying that she was too tired to visit him. I had not seen him at all during his illness. I told her that she better go and visit him as he could go anytime. She went to visit him that night and he died the next morning.

The second was when I visited London in 2009. I remember thinking to myself how weird it would be if I bumped into someone I knew while I was so far away from home, 5 minutes later my sister's friend called out my name in Covent Garden, when I had no idea she was overseas.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 12-26-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal