Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:33 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The reason many people discount astrology is because they are basing it on their sun sign. If it doesn't fit, astrology is bunk. The daily horoscopes are bunk. But the placement of your planets in the different signs and houses give you a more accurate interpretation. There's quite a bit to astrology and most people (especially the ones discounting it) know only the basic "what's your sign"? They have too little information to judge whether astrology is valid or not.
Read the last column and a half of the last page of the article I linked. The methodology used n the experiment was developed and approved with input from astrologers ... And it demonstrated that natal charts were no better than chance at predicting personality traits. In short, natal charts appear to have as much reliability and validity as reading the entrails of chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM

101 posts, read 100,098 times
Default Astrology Cold Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
My natal chart is so accurate it's almost disturbing to me.
Ah; but how can you be sure it is accurate?
Are you an "astrologer" or just the the "victim" of cold reading and confirmation bias.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The Chinese has been using astrology for Thousands of years and they didn't create these funny characters like Cancer, Leo, and Sagittarius. They use the stars pattern to forecast luck and chance just like weather forecast. They never pinned a person's personality using the stars they can use stars to determine your luck or future. Which is why the Chinese use the year that you are born and the natal charts to determine your personality.

For instance Obama's Chinese zodiac is Ox and his astrological symbol is Leo. Ox/Leo personality really accurately paints a good picture of who he is.

I think in general most Astrology today is for entertainment purposes.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Yep! I'm quite the Aries chick. Kate Gosselin is also an Aries and acts like it (same goes for her ex-husband, Jon).

Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Then by all means present what we are missing and the substantiation behind it. It helps little to declare people are missing out on facts, without offering them any of them. That makes it come across merely as rhetoric then, which I doubt was your intention or desire.
That information would fill a 400 page book.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:00 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
I wonder how many of the believers here understand what "no better than chance" means?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM

412 posts, read 545,900 times
No. I've noticed that a lot of those astrology readings come up with things everyone can relate to and go "yeah that's me!". Like they'll say things that most people don't like (liars, moochers, violence) and gear it towards you (Scorpios don't like people up in their business and hate liars or Virgos are independent and avoid moochers).

I do like to read them for fun though.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Then by all means present what we are missing and the substantiation behind it. It helps little to declare people are missing out on facts, without offering them any of them. That makes it come across merely as rhetoric then, which I doubt was your intention or desire.
The study of astrology takes years and is much too complex to explain in a public forum. In a nutshell:

The placement and signs of planets at your exact time of birth offer a much more detailed description of a person than just their sun sign. Lots of info on the web if you are truly interested.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
Zodiac signs only look like themselves from our position here on earth. From any other vantage point, they wouldn't look the same. The moon affects tide because it's only a quarter million miles away. The notion that stars (many of which are already burnt out by the time their light reaches earth) have some mysterious effect on human personality/behavior is understandable in a primitive culture, but from a modern scientific standpoint makes absolutely no sense.
Most of the people I know personally who buy into it use it as a crutch to explain away their own shortcomings. "I screwed that up because my Mercury's in retrograde, I never should have taken on that task at this time."

Naw, you screwed up because you're a screwup.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:26 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
There will always be ignorant people that say that anything you can't measure with a yardstick doesn't exist, but the sign traits coincide much too well much too often to ignore. I'm exactly what my sign says I am. My wife was exactly what her sign said that she was.
I agree with this. I'm a Gemini; there is no way I can read the traits of a Leo or a Pisces and think that sounds anything like me. And for what it's worth, I don't think the placement of stars/planets necessarily has anything to do with it. I just think there is a personality cycle, for some reason we don't really know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal