Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 25,532 times

Advertisements

For years now I have been dreaming of a town that is so familiar to me yet I've never even been to it. I can't understand why I continue to dream of this place or why I seem to know it so well. It's down an old dirt road and has a very large structure that seems to be an old wooden tower. Behind this structure is an old carnival ride. It's rusted and has overgrown weeds surrounding it. When I walk past the structure and carnival ride an old playground is still standing. It has swings and a merry go round. The town is small and has white wooden houses that are falling apart. It is covered in overgrown weeds and a corn field.

I have never been there or heard of a town like this yet I dream of it every few months.
Anyone else dream of a place they have never been?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
For quite a while I have given what I believe are the reasons for each and every dream we have.
If one has a better, more comprehensive explanation, I would like to see it.
I believe dreams are spirit originated, and when we sleep, this is he time the spirit within each of us take leave of their human bondage and return to places they enjoy, and are content with.
There they get to meet and greet other spirits they may have know from past lives, and have made eternal bonds with.
When we are able to recall a dream upon waking, our spirit has returned, and we recall those dream through the eyes of the spirit.
The small town you stated that you have never been to, obviously is a place near and dear to your spirit.
Perhaps in a past life this town meant a great deal to your spirit, which would explain the frequency of the dream.
Now, I am not saying this is the absolute way it is, but until I hear a better explanation for dreams, this is what I believe.
Bob.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:18 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
That sounds fascinating. When you dream of it, it sounds as though you are experiencing it as an already-old town -- is that how it feels to you in the dream? Already a ghost town of sorts? Are there ever any people around? What is your sense of mood, or how does it make you feel? Are you sorry to leave, or do you feel nothing in particular other than you recognize it?

Do you feel it's in America? Are you "yourself," as far as you can tell, or a younger or older self, or another person? Is there anything you see there or experience that you can relate to your present life? I'd wonder about present-life connections before I'd go into a past-life self-inquiry, but that's just how I'd manage it -- does it "feel" past life-related?

Sorry I don't have any answers to add to this, only questions!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCO View Post
For years now I have been dreaming of a town that is so familiar to me yet I've never even been to it. I can't understand why I continue to dream of this place or why I seem to know it so well. It's down an old dirt road and has a very large structure that seems to be an old wooden tower. Behind this structure is an old carnival ride. It's rusted and has overgrown weeds surrounding it. When I walk past the structure and carnival ride an old playground is still standing. It has swings and a merry go round. The town is small and has white wooden houses that are falling apart. It is covered in overgrown weeds and a corn field.

I have never been there or heard of a town like this yet I dream of it every few months.
Anyone else dream of a place they have never been?
Could have been a scene in a movie you saw 40 years ago.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I used to have dreams that were the same house on the same street. Different scenarios in each dream, and sometimes the house looked different inside or out. But it was our house in every dream, and always the second house from the corner. Sometimes the dream would take place inside the house, sometimes outside. Actually, in "talking" about this I am realizing that I still do dream of that house because I am remembering dreams I have had recently. I don't know what the significance is of that street or that second house from the corner. It's weird! This is over many years that I have dreamed of that same house, second from the corner. It's not any house I have ever lived in before.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
I started dreaming of places I've never been at the age of six or so. I'm still dreaming of places I've never been, sixty years later. Some of these places I've dreamt of dozens of times over the years, in great detail that's consistent from dream to dream.

Almost always I can relate these dream places to places i've been in waking life, but transformed in strange ways; and sometimes two different places will be merged together to make the dream landscape ... Places I've been, places I've seen or read about in movies or books, and places I've imagined. I remember a dream when I was young of pulling into some place in the trees with a lot of lights ... Years later, I realized this was very possibly a memory from a trip my parents made from Virginia to Illinois when I was two years old.

It appears dreams are the way we integrate our memories into the narrative of our lives ... They're highly associative, and full of symbolism. And there are dreams I've had that I knew were important to me in some deep or spiritual sense, that I should pay attention to. But that could be explained as a "note to self" rather than as something coming from outside me ... I don't believe in past lives or in our spirits leaving our bodies when we sleep ... Though I do believe people have precognitive content in some dreams. But the precognition I've experienced was outside the context of dreaming.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I started dreaming of places I've never been at the age of six or so. I'm still dreaming of places I've never been, sixty years later. Some of these places I've dreamt of dozens of times over the years, in great detail that's consistent from dream to dream.

Almost always I can relate these dream places to places i've been in waking life, but transformed in strange ways; and sometimes two different places will be merged together to make the dream landscape ... Places I've been, places I've seen or read about in movies or books, and places I've imagined. I remember a dream when I was young of pulling into some place in the trees with a lot of lights ... Years later, I realized this was very possibly a memory from a trip my parents made from Virginia to Illinois when I was two years old.

It appears dreams are the way we integrate our memories into the narrative of our lives ... They're highly associative, and full of symbolism. And there are dreams I've had that I knew were important to me in some deep or spiritual sense, that I should pay attention to. But that could be explained as a "note to self" rather than as something coming from outside me ... I don't believe in past lives or in our spirits leaving our bodies when we sleep ... Though I do believe people have precognitive content in some dreams. But the precognition I've experienced was outside the context of dreaming.
Vasily, you describe it well. I've also had places that recurred through my dreams especially during my childhood. When you said the bit about being transformed in strange ways, that is how I would describe my dreams and these places too. I always think of my dreams as the psychedelic version of what's happened in real life but all mixed up. Sometimes, I dream I'm in a real town or city but I'm actually not in that town or city (eg in my dreams, one of my dreams places was supposed in central Auckland NZ but is nothing like that place (funnily enough that particular dream place is very much like where I live now))

Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
That sounds fascinating. When you dream of it, it sounds as though you are experiencing it as an already-old town -- is that how it feels to you in the dream? Already a ghost town of sorts? Are there ever any people around? What is your sense of mood, or how does it make you feel? Are you sorry to leave, or do you feel nothing in particular other than you recognize it?

Do you feel it's in America? Are you "yourself," as far as you can tell, or a younger or older self, or another person? Is there anything you see there or experience that you can relate to your present life? I'd wonder about present-life connections before I'd go into a past-life self-inquiry, but that's just how I'd manage it -- does it "feel" past life-related?

Sorry I don't have any answers to add to this, only questions!
Those are excellent questions!

OP- it is likely that this place exists only in your dreams.
The majority of my dreams happen in a non-location. Several dreams occur in the same non-locations.
I have a dreamscape that is in a small cove, feels like it is an island, but could be just a remote area of land's end. I don't know because my dream never takes me out of that area.

In dreams we have locations that are built by our subconscious that are symbolic reflections of the things in our lives.
I wonder, do you feel abandoned?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
I dream of property. It is property I own but on a larger scale meaning there are no houses next to mine or in back. I own all the land around my house in dreams

Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Some of these dream towns are places we have been to and perhaps forgotten. But our imagination has enhanced them. Idealized them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal