Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...6011&tid=ss_fb

Old 07-01-2016, 07:22 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
https://www.amazon.com/People-Lie-Ho.../dp/0684848597
Fascinating subject....
Psychciatrist M. Scott Peck M.D. published his book linked above in 1983; covers witnessing demonic possession, exorcisms, case studies as well as discussion of mental illness verses evil.
Good read.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
https://www.amazon.com/People-Lie-Ho.../dp/0684848597
Fascinating subject....
Psychciatrist M. Scott Peck M.D. published his book linked above in 1983; covers witnessing demonic possession, exorcisms, case studies as well as discussion of mental illness verses evil.
Good read.
I highly recommend the late Dr.Peck's seminal work.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:11 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
In a way, it is sad that he comes from a religious viewpoint as it places a bias on the situation, however if it gets the job done...

Personally, I feel that much of this phenomena is squeezed into the various disciplines and their beliefs and explained in terms of what is familiar to their teachings.

There are probably both positive and negative uses of energy and there maybe plenty of similar crackpots who are religious or new agey figures who could also be deemed to be "possessed" but in a 'good' way although nothing is done about them. Wonder why not? Someone who is 'possessed' is ill or imbalanced, whether it is deemed as positive or negative energy doing the possession.

As conjecture, there is probably a lot more in the Vatican library which can be made public about this subject. I realise that they are making many documents freely available to the public but those which are not in alignment with the teachings are never likely to be made public and those may have some interesting and useful information. Basically, if the content is useful but does not go along with the Catholic beliefs, the information is kept hidden and the people who might benefit from it are left untreated. Not sure I agree with that.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In a way, it is sad that he comes from a religious viewpoint as it places a bias on the situation,
There is no such thing as an unbiased viewpoint. We are all influenced by our background, education, genes, what we had for breakfast ... you name it.

But this is one of those areas that if you want to get to the truth of the matter, don't approach it ad hominem. You should always consider the source, of course. But in the end, it's all about the evidence. If I pass an inebriated clown on the street making balloon animals and he tells me, "The sky is blue," I'm going to agree with him. Not because I share his views, but because the evidence holds up to scrutiny. If he tells me, "The sky is blue because sky fairies paint it every morning," he's going to have to put up some evidence before I even begin to believe him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
As conjecture, there is probably a lot more in the Vatican library which can be made public about this subject. I realise that they are making many documents freely available to the public but those which are not in alignment with the teachings are never likely to be made public and those may have some interesting and useful information. Basically, if the content is useful but does not go along with the Catholic beliefs, the information is kept hidden and the people who might benefit from it are left untreated. Not sure I agree with that.
That's certainly a popular urban legend. But there isn't any evidence to back it up.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
If you have ever been in the presence of evil, even one time, you will know it with certainty and never forget it.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If you have ever been in the presence of evil, even one time, you will know it with certainty and never forget it.
Now THAT'S the truth. And no one can tell you it was your imagination, the pizza you had before bed, or anything other frivolous reason to try to explain it away. It is real, it exists and it has personality.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 AM

706 posts, read 758,181 times
I think it's great that more professionals are recognizing that there is much more to mental health issues than modern medicine can explain. One doesn't even need to be "possessed" to be manipulated and controlled by neggies, but the more serious cases do probably involve attachments of some sort (providing it's not actually a medical condition). I have a feeling that most "crazy" people are indeed just being manipulated and controlled by unseen entities. In some cases, they simply see and hear things that others can't see or hear. That doesn't make them crazy; it means they are sensitive to the unseen world. But because not everyone can do that, the people are labeled as "nutso" or whatever. And guess what? That's just what these entities want. The more that people refuse to accept that there are unseen forces in this world, the more it will happen. It's actually quite convenient for these beings.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
That's also very true. If you've ever actually had to deal with possessed people as I have, no one can tell you they are not. I have had people levitate off the floor, and/or crawl like a snake with no bones, not using their hands or legs to propel themselves. It's something you never forget.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:24 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
That's certainly a popular urban legend. But there isn't any evidence to back it up.
Thats why I said as conjecture...
As I am almost positive you have used this argument before so I will remind you that you cannot prove a negative. You also cannot prove they are releasing all the documents they have, so this point it is not worth arguing over. Whether you describe it as Urban legend or not, urban legends are often correct. As with many organisations, the Vatican is certainly too large and powerful to risk losing its position in the world over the publication of documents which show it is based on false or incorrect information. I dont think anyone will deny there is a huge cover up going on in other areas where there are skeletons in its cupboard, so it is not beyond possibility.

I would say that denying there are negative entities is rather like saying there are no human psychopaths or murderers. There are going to be entities which are far out of our 'norm' and act in a way which to us is 'unacceptable' but... they are just being themselves as far as they know existence.

I have a feeling that when we finally come face to face with some types of aliens we will find they are very similar but with more advanced technology and with more development than humans. You guys doing the exorcism may be the front line troops when that time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal