Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:35 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Such things quite fascinate me. Possibly new species, and, perhaps, a resurrected old one, tbat, thought extinct. This Hissin' Critter has truly captivated me. There is more than sufficient evidence of its existence, and it is quite an interesting animal. The photos of intact skeletons and conceptual drawings show a large, powerful canid, with a build similar, but even more formidable than a hyena. I lean towards this being some kind of hybrid, but hybrids seldom vet to the stage of a viable, breeding, population in the wild.

That begs the question of origin. While horse backing in a remote area Southeast of where I live, I saw an animal similar to this, so my interest is quite high. The one I saw had the large shoulder and head mass depicted in concept drawings of the Hissin' Critter, but its head, ears and fur were different. My thoughts had it pegged as a cross twixt a large , mongrel dog, possibly with Rott in its makeup, and coyote. Since this area borders on a large Reservation, and wild mongrels of ...odd..makeup are common, that's a distinct possibility. But the Hissin Critter? I cant even think where to begin.

Firstly, there's the issue of numbers. They seem to be widespread, and growing. So, a viable breeding population is on hand. This was quite unlikely to have happened by chance. So, the thought that they here a result of husbandry and escaped, or were released, is more likely. Who would do such a thing. Mongrel breeders of dogs for fighting animals, perhaps? What it is that's been created is the bigger question. What unholy union did they create? Pictures of large livestock, said to have been attacked, and completely torn apart, speak to a VERY formidable animal. Some sort of large, domestic, dog and hyena, crossed, is suggested. But to have created such in the numbers we're looking at would mean a very large operation.

I would like to make an expedition to look for these animals. I certainly wouldn't go alone. Thinking at least ten, experienced, people. Kling, or better yet, capturing one being the goal. Lol, not that it will happen, but the thought sparks my sense of adventure. Any thoughts on these, or other such animals? I'm not looking to get into Bigfoot or other such primates. The focus here is quadrapedal canids and maybe felids. Predators. Let's toss some things around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Hissin' Critter sounds like the Shunka Warak'in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunka_Warakin

As far as four-legged cryptids go, there are occasional reports from Australia and Tasmania of thylacine sightings. I would like to think that the thylacine's still around, very canny, and very good at avoiding people. Those who are fans of the thylacine might enjoy this movie about a mercenary's hunt to take down the last one of the species:

The Hunter (2011) - IMDb

Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I think there is a very good possibility for there to be canine species that have yet to be "identified" to be in existence.

What is equally fascinating (to me, at least) is that humans always think everything is already "known" about the animal world & then something comes along to upset it.

"New" species are identified every year. Lately the most common are fish & bird but there it is also now known that there are "Coy-Dogs" & "Coy-Wolfs" when it was previously not thought to be possible.

I would think this may offer explanations into the Chupacabra also.

My cryptid sighting was the Thunderbird, in 2006.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
No one can say what exotic cross breeds been done and set loose.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I think there is a very good possibility for there to be canine species that have yet to be "identified" to be in existence.

What is equally fascinating (to me, at least) is that humans always think everything is already "known" about the animal world & then something comes along to upset it.

"New" species are identified every year. Lately the most common are fish & bird but there it is also now known that there are "Coy-Dogs" & "Coy-Wolfs" when it was previously not thought to be possible.

I saw a "chupacabra" run down my street in the middle of the day a few years ago- I live in a large suburban area. Actually I thought it was a mangey coyote but a neighbor followed it and when he described it to Animal Control they said it was a Texas Blue Dog. Mix of Mexican Hairless dog and a coyote. Looked like the thing that biologist froze down south of San Antonio so it was what people have been seeing and calling the chupacabra. They're not especially harmful to humans so they wouldn't do anything about it although I did lock up the stray cat and kittens who adopted our yard. What's funny is I told my friend when we saw it that it was a chupacabra. She's from up north and had no clue what that was. Who would have known I was kinda right! I would not be at all surprised if more hybrids aren't out there...

I too am hopeful that the thylacine is out there somewhere avoiding us 😊

Old 10-13-2016, 09:07 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:

I had a coydog. There's a pjc of him in my profile. I've seen quite a few others as well. The coywolf was a surprise to me. That was something I didn't think could happen. But, there it is. The saying that life finds a way surely applies. So.e reports have come out of sightings, in remote areas of Alaska and such, describing animals right of of the Pleistocene. Things matching Dire wolves. It would be quite cool if there were to.be some ice age mega fauna hiding out there somewhere.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:12 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
There are so many unexplained sightings and creatures out there that I think it will need a rich person who takes an interest in the subject. He/she will get a team together and get out there and give us some answers.

All the TV producers are only interested in making money and stringing out the suspense rather than getting to the bottom of the Bigfoot/cryptids issue. Sad but only to be expected in this greedy world.

I am absolutely sure anyone who really wanted to, could get to the bottom of this and probably other issues in a week or two of wilderness-watching with the right people.

Science or governments have no feeling and do not care how they pull apart a body. I cannot see them being content without killing and cutting up just to document the physical internals and systems.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:35 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There are so many unexplained sightings and creatures out there that I think it will need a rich person who takes an interest in the subject. He/she will get a team together and get out there and give us some answers.

All the TV producers are only interested in making money and stringing out the suspense rather than getting to the bottom of the Bigfoot/cryptids issue. Sad but only to be expected in this greedy world.

I am absolutely sure anyone who really wanted to, could get to the bottom of this and probably other issues in a week or two of wilderness-watching with the right people.

Science or governments have no feeling and do not care how they pull apart a body. I cannot see them being content without killing and cutting up just to document the physical internals and systems.

I tend to think you have no idea of what it takes to get out and doing this stuff 24/7. With that said why should we ASSUME that it has not already been done?

Why should any of us feel we are privy to research done by others and paid for by others.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
Because exporing is fun

Old 10-26-2016, 12:15 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:

What is equally fascinating (to me, at least) is that humans always think everything is already "known" about the animal world...

I know of no one in my RL who thinks that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal