Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 08:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,978 times

Advertisements

This is an article I see about a UFO "moving 120 times faster than anything else in the sky."

New Zealand UFO Sighting And Flight Tracker Could Be Proof Of Aliens

I cut and pasted the whole article. However. It really does appear to be worldwide. What say you?

For me, personally, yes,

Quote:
UFO Or Glitch In The System? Aircraft 120 Times Faster Than Plane Caught On Tracker
OCTOBER 13, 2016 — By Sarah Gzemski
OMG

It's kind of the eternal question: Are we alone?
Because science has yet to prove the existence of alien life, UFO hunters everywhere hope to be the first to come forward with video that shows alien spacecraft.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 10-15-2016 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Copyright...don't paste the whole article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:50 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
The radar screen is displaying a representation of a plane's position created in software. It's impossible to know whether there's a problem with the positional data being fed into the program, whether there's a defect in the software that's miscalculating a plane's position, or it's an object moving very fast. I don't know where the flight number is coming from, but the fact that it doesn't exist makes it extremely likely in my opinion that what you're seeing is a software bug. It's certainly not an object; it's an image representing a supposed object's position generated from data.

I worked on a fault-tolerant software experiment under a NASA grant back in the 80s when I was a research computer scientist at a think tank in North Carolina, and we had graduate students in computer science writing short software modules to implement a simple flight algorithm. The modules would be fed real flight data, and when a discrepancy was detected (all three versions didn't agree on a calculation) the simulation would halt and the programmers in error (again, grad students in computer scientists) would fix the defects in his/her program and the simulation would be resumed. After a quarter of a million hours of simulated flight time (that's about 85 years simulated flight time), there were still subtle defects being detected and removed from the software -- and these were simple modules with something like 50 lines of code in them.

So the radar screen proves nothing, other than that writing software is difficult and even highly trained programmers make errors when interpreting relatively simple requirements.

The thing in the sky video definitely looks like military jet afterburners to me, as one commenter suggested. And the video makes the claim that this image is the same thing shown on the radar screen but provides no data suggesting this is the case. Besides which, the object in the video doesn't appear to be moving at a high rate of speed.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
So the radar screen proves nothing, other than that writing software is difficult and even highly trained programmers make errors when interpreting relatively simple requirements.
I agree that we need to keep in mind the possible errors in the system, but grad students are NOT highly trained programmers. Programmers who have been working on that kind of system for years ARE highly trained programmers in this context only. Programmers do not know all systems and are not experts in all languages and areas of programming.

We use radar to keep one plane from crashing into another plane all the time and it does not often go wrong. Radar operators learn to know the quirks in the system and if they say there is an anomaly, then they are probably correct.

People who are not trained radar operators should not try to interpret that kind of data and an image of the radar screen does not 'mean' anything to people who dont know what they are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal