Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 PM

403 posts, read 363,945 times

Advertisements

Not sure how to explain it but it happened again this morning, and this is the 3rd time it has happened in the past 2 months (which I'm finding odd).
Have you ever had a dream that is pitch black but somehow your mind knows that you're "falling" and you jerk your eyes open and then you're just fully awake, just like that, after getting into deep, heavy sleep?
I'm not sure how to explain it.. but it's been happening to me at roughly the same time in the morning for me (usually around 8am when I have to get up for work).
I've had similar dreams like this before.. but it's typically when I'm drifting off to sleep and I *dream* and actually visually see that I am falling, so I would jerk awake and then fall back asleep shortly after. I feel like that is somewhat more normal as I've discussed with friends and they had experience similar.

But this one as I said is usually after a night's sleep already, and in the morning during a really, REALLY deep sleep. And in the dream I don't see myself falling, it's just pure black but somehow my mind thinks I'm falling. When I jerk my eyes open, I don't sense the grogginess at all. It's like I've been up for an hour already, totally oriented and awake, ready to start my day. And for some reason, I truly believe if I didn't wake up from that black hole then I would never wake up.. scary :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 05:39 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
You are returning to your body after astral traveling. Nothing to worry about.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
You are returning to your body after astral traveling. Nothing to worry about.
Nope; it happens when they are falling asleep, before reaching REM state, as well as after a whole nights sleep, after REM.

This is a body to brain to body thing. It's an issue with relaxation and tension.

The body will 'hold on to' mental stress and other things with muscle tension. The body relaxes while in a semi-unconscious state and the brain goes with a 'falling' scenario. For some it is a floating sensation.
That is the falling asleep part.

The waking up part... Is the stress and tension of getting up. OP did you happen to miss a very important meeting due to not waking up in time?
You are subconsciously 'jolting' yourself to awaken.

In a nutshell... I'd take a look at what is your biggest worry/stress is currently, and one that is relatively new.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Hypnic jerk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Not sure how to explain it but it happened again this morning, and this is the 3rd time it has happened in the past 2 months (which I'm finding odd).
Have you ever had a dream that is pitch black but somehow your mind knows that you're "falling" and you jerk your eyes open and then you're just fully awake, just like that, after getting into deep, heavy sleep?
I'm not sure how to explain it.. but it's been happening to me at roughly the same time in the morning for me (usually around 8am when I have to get up for work).
I've had similar dreams like this before.. but it's typically when I'm drifting off to sleep and I *dream* and actually visually see that I am falling, so I would jerk awake and then fall back asleep shortly after. I feel like that is somewhat more normal as I've discussed with friends and they had experience similar.

But this one as I said is usually after a night's sleep already, and in the morning during a really, REALLY deep sleep. And in the dream I don't see myself falling, it's just pure black but somehow my mind thinks I'm falling. When I jerk my eyes open, I don't sense the grogginess at all. It's like I've been up for an hour already, totally oriented and awake, ready to start my day. And for some reason, I truly believe if I didn't wake up from that black hole then I would never wake up.. scary :/
Happened more often when I was younger and very tired...if I couldn't pull myself out of the "fall" then I
would feel paralyzed for a few minutes.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
I think it is a falling dream and a thing that happens when you are sleeping...Probably that hypnic jerk thread explains it or something like it.

I am a believer in many things but I also believe in ordinary things and this sounds like a typical sleeping thing.

I have had the falling dreams and the jerking thing and sleep paralysis and etc...I don't think are extremely notable.

Sleep itself is kind of weird, the way we dream but we accept that as normal. I would say that is a typical variation.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 PM

566 posts, read 678,011 times
A Question For OP; Has anything very stressful happened to you in your life situation that you could not or cannot control from happening? Have you been taking any medication, or raised the dosage on current medication? Did you also hear a metallic or static-like noise in your ears? I have had a type of dream like yours, and it took strong willpower to jerk myself back. Not a good experience.

Last edited by glenninindy; 02-12-2017 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I have experienced the Hypnic Jerk very often. I usually just lay there and fall back to sleep. It's very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal