Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
You should read up on James Randi.
Well I certainly have. I know about cold reading. That's why I didn't give her any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM

There are things a medium can guess, but there are things they could not simply guess. So the idea is to try and figure out if they knew things they could not have guessed. It isn't easy to figure out, and lots of people may get fooled by them.

I never give mediums or psychics information. I just answer yes or no. We should let them know if they are correct or not.

I don't think we can expect them to get everything right, and this one didn't. Maybe some of the very famous ones are usually correct, but they probably have bad days. This is not something that can be easily controlled.

James Randi convinces people that all of this is entirely fake, just because some of it is fake. And even good mediums aren't perfect. Randi has a very simple philosophy -- there is no supernatural, none whatsoever, so anyone who claims to be a medium is lying. I do not believe it is anywhere near that simple. Randi is obsessed with his simple theory of absolute materialism.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Mediums make a living based on the fact that we want to know our departed loved ones are ok, and that we'll be with them again. So they get paid to tell people what they want to hear.

I don't really like that whole idea, and I don't trust them. But I was curious, and my sister loves her medium so I decided to try.

The day before I was talking to my sister and I said "I hope he says that I was the ONE." I didn't think that would happen, and it isn't the kind of thing he would say. Well, towards the end the medium said "He says that you are the ONE."

So what happened? Was he eavesdropping on my conversation the day before?? Or did the medium guess I wanted to hear that?
Interesting that you highlighted these two points because I already know she is ok and I have no doubt we will be together again on the other side.

Just saved myself some $$!

Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM

One thing I distrust about mediums is, as far as I know, they always say everything is just lovely with your departed loved ones. They always say the afterlife is all good, no bad. It's all lots of lovey-dovey stuff that I can't really related to.

I don't want to be consoled and comforted. I want to know what is going on. Where did they go, what are they doing and thinking, are they thinking about me? Etc.

I am not interested in wishful thinking.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
I had a little previous experience with mediums, so I know how they can fool you. I had a couple readings from a friend who did it for free, and she tried to fool me by asking a lot of questions and making vague guesses. I don't think she was conscious of what she was doing. I also go to a spiritualist church occasionally, and was never impressed with the mediums' messages. I definitely believe in spirits, but am skeptical about mediums and psychics.

Recently a close friend of mine died, and my sister made me an appointment to see her medium. I told her to make sure not to say anything about me to the medium. My sister said of course she wouldn't say anything at all about me. So, supposedly, she didn't mention that my friend died while making the appointment. I can't be a hundred percent sure of that, because she could have mentioned it and then forgotten that she did.

The medium got some messages from my mother and her sister, vague stuff she might have just guessed, and some of it was wrong.

But pretty soon she asked if I recently lost a male partner, who I was not married to. Well that is exactly true, and the whole reason I was there. By the way, I am VERY careful not to give stuff away to mediums and psychics. I just answered yes or no to her questions. And my answer to this was YEEEESSSSS!!!!

The medium made some vague comments about his personality, which were true, and not that easy to guess. And those could not have come from my sister, because she didn't know him that well. She said some wrong things about him also though. But she said he wrote his own music, and that was very true, and not something you could guess out of thin air. And I don't think my sister knew that, and even if she did, she would not have mentioned it while just making an appointment. It would only come out in a long in depth conversation. Which I very strongly doubt occurred.

So, there were wrong things and right things. The wrong things were vague easy guesses, that might be true of most people but not of me or him. The right things were not very specific either, but extremely unlikely to be lucky guesses.

So, if I could be sure my sister never mentioned that my boyfriend died while making the appointment, then I would be one hundred percent sure this medium was really talking to him. But I can't be absolutely sure, because my sister is forgetful. But even if she did mention it, there were other things that she would not have mentioned, and some she didn't know.

So, yeah, it seems like it was real. I got chills at one point, and screamed and cried a little. But I didn't feel reassured, for some reason. I didn't feel absolutely sure it was really him. What if it was some other spirit pretending to be him? It's all confusing.

The reason they get a few things "right" is because they are familiar spirits, that were there with that person when x,y,z, happened. This is how you get suckered into believing you are talking to the deceased; you're not. God didn't call these things abominations, and leave a "door" open so men could do it. But you opened a door when you did, a door you should have left shut. Blessings....

Old 09-11-2018, 03:46 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
but im not sure if we are supposed to know some of these things...beyond believing....if the general population knew there was spirits around us...would we spend most too much time on them.....and not live our own lives freely???
You need to read the Missing 411 books by David Paulides about the people who go missing in the National Parks. Some of those true stories are really scary. Many people would not go to the National Parks if they knew or suspected there was something out there taking people, often from nearby others in the party, and leaving no trace behind. If you need a medium, put the thought out there, and you will hear of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth
To the bolded--why? That's quite a leap, to assume that just because our body's electrical functions produce an EM field, that our experiences, our whole history, would be contained in it. How do you explain that? What would be the science behind it? That's the crux of the matter. What's the connection between bio-electro-magnetism and information about our history of experiences?
I never said the bolded part in your quote, you did. I do not believe it is the body's electrical functions which produce this. Obviously, there is nothing science can measure at the moment. You know that, I know that.

From your challenge, I guess you must believe the information is obtained from the Spirit world then? If so, what gives you that impression?

There is no measuring instrument which can measure the 'aura' of the body from a science viewpoint. The 'if' is the important part of what I said the text you bolded from my post. As I said, some people we call mediums can 'see' this energy field. You may not believe that, I do. I believe the energy field holds that information and I believe the mind and subconscious can access it.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Quote:
One thing I distrust about mediums is, as far as I know, they always say everything is just lovely with your departed loved ones. They always say the afterlife is all good, no bad. It's all lots of lovey-dovey stuff that I can't really related to.

I don't want to be consoled and comforted. I want to know what is going on. Where did they go, what are they doing and thinking, are they thinking about me? Etc.

I am not interested in wishful thinking.

Actually this is not always true . More on this later. *

I had 3 readings. The first was a few months after my DH passed. Totally cold, I did not give any info. He came through with several things, first, he said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I had taken care of my DH for a year and a half while he was sick and he was always so grateful for my care. Second, that my DH knew I was there when he passed and that I had helped him (I had wondered about that since he seemed unconscious but I talked to him while he drew his last breath). Third, he said that I was not cooking and baking any more (true) and that my DH missed me doing that (sounded just like him). Fourth, he mentioned June and a boat. I did not make the connection at the time, but I believe he was referring to our scattering his ashes at sea, on a boat with his family present. Last, he told me my DH wanted me to stop thinking about his last days (I had been obsessing over them) and remember happier times.

Second reading was with another medium, nothing.

Third reading was a longer one with the first medium, not very much. He did say, it's not like you can have a continuing conversation with our loved ones who have passed over. In other words, he was NOT encouraging me to keep coming back, and I didn't.

*The third reading, my sister came also for a reading. Our parents came through and the medium could tell that our dad was feeling guilty about something. We have long suspected that he was abusive toward my sister.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 09-11-2018 at 06:56 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
I have and she was on target. I really believe that my mother and aunt came through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal