Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM

135 posts, read 85,502 times

Advertisements

We had a investigation at a haunted jail in South Carolina Saturday. I wasn’t in the spot when this was taken but what do y’all think?

And here’s a story the Charlotte Observer did on the jail a few years back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cha...le9225980.html

https://ibb.co/RYxjb72

https://ibb.co/C7rX8cg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:00 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
we think it is Smells like Teen Spirit.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I dont understand how she and so many others seem to be convinced they know what these things are (ghosts)....how do they know its 'people' that lived once? There is no way of knowing this.

It sounds to me, like the real interest is creating lucrative 'paranormal hotspots', to attract paying thrill seekers.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:59 PM

135 posts, read 85,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont understand how she and so many others seem to be convinced they know what these things are (ghosts)....how do they know its 'people' that lived once? There is no way of knowing this.

It sounds to me, like the real interest is creating lucrative 'paranormal hotspots', to attract paying thrill seekers.
We didn’t pay anything. The jail does have paying tours now but not for “ghost” their for the historical aspect of the jail.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:14 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
The first photo - what do YOU see and what do YOU think? Please offer some of your thoughts and/or the opinion of your ghost hunting group. Did they try and debunk it? what does the jail cell look like in a photo taken from the same position without this 'child ghost' ?

Surely, you have to come from a skeptical point of view and then whatever you cannot debunk is more likely to be anomalous.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:48 AM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
Sensationalist ghost hunting programs and easy manipulation
of digital photos have brought photos purported to show
ghosts under heavy clouds of doubt. They are too easy to fake.
I have studied such photos made within the past 20 years
and only a handful seemed to have something that was there
(or not) when the button was pressed. Then you have to
consider dust, camera straps, reflections and such.

One of the very few ghost photos that has not been debunked
by experts was snapped in the mid-1960's. The Tulip Staircase
photo. It was made by a couple from Canada vacationing in
England.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:37 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
We had a investigation at a haunted jail in South Carolina Saturday. I wasn’t in the spot when this was taken but what do y’all think?
'Tis the season' for these stories to come out of the woodwork! I do believe in ghosts & I don't see anything wrong with historical places hosting 'ghost tours' & the like. They are FUN & can help raise money for preservation & such.

It is interesting how there is always a 'child' apparition involved. Is it reasonable to assume that they are actually a 'child spirit'?

Or something more sinister taking the form of innocence as a lure?

Old 10-03-2019, 11:18 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
There's a great short novel by Paul Gallico, "Too Many Ghosts", about a party of ghost-hunters staying at a stately home in England which is purported to be haunted. I highly recommend this book, which is very entertaining - and educational as well, as it includes info about how various convincing hauntings can be faked and how natural phenomena can play roles in apparently supernatural happenings.

The book is out of print, but can be obtained by interlibrary loan from your public library.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
'Tis the season' for these stories to come out of the woodwork! I do believe in ghosts & I don't see anything wrong with historical places hosting 'ghost tours' & the like. They are FUN & can help raise money for preservation & such.

It is interesting how there is always a 'child' apparition involved. Is it reasonable to assume that they are actually a 'child spirit'?

Or something more sinister taking the form of innocence as a lure?
To be fair, kids can and do die from all sorts of reasons around the world. The problem with the photo is that what's been thought might be a ghost of a child, might be something else that's rather mundane. What the photo shows of the "child" ghost, only shows part of it. The rest of it is hidden behind a metal bar. For all we know, it could be a piece of paper or fabric in the background, or even a reflection. Ideally, taking an additional photo from the same position and same time of day could help determine if anything was there or not. Presumably, no one saw the object until later. Regardless, why would the spirit of a child be in a jail?

Old 10-03-2019, 02:44 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post

And here’s a story the Charlotte Observer did on the jail a few years back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cha...le9225980.html

https://ibb.co/RYxjb72

https://ibb.co/C7rX8cg

The first picture looks like it COULD be the profile of a child's face. Sure.

The second photo, compared to the lady's head...that child ghost is awfully tiny. It looks like it's about the size of the lady's head, or smaller. If you'd told me it was a sprite or a fairy, I'd be more inclined to believe THAT than a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal