Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times

Advertisements

https://psmag.com/education/scientists-are-wrong-a-lot

They are sure wrong about BF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 01:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
I definitely believe there is a specific reason why most 'mainstream' scientists, researchers, etc will not acknowledge the study of Sasquatch, (Im not claiming to know the reason though), I have theories, as we all do, but I cannot think of any way to verify or even check the accuracy. If anyone has an idea on how to do this, please speak up.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:43 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,123,803 times
I don't believe in bigfoot, but to add to the article, there is something called "the observer effect," which, most simply means that people who do "science" and "studies" almost always get the results that they thought that they would get, because their confirmation bias steers the experiment.

I believe greatly in science and its importance, but yes, the biggest and most importance element of science is that is is REPLICABLE. In other words, it is not that one scientist does and experiment, draws the conclusion, and declares what he or she did is correct. Something become a "scientific fact," or, that is to say, what the scientific world accepts as the the model for the moment, when it is heavily confirmed by multiple parties seeing he same thing. Even then it is subject to change when someone else comes up with a better model to explain results.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I don't believe in bigfoot, but to add to the article, there is something called "the observer effect," which, most simply means that people who do "science" and "studies" almost always get the results that they thought that they would get, because their confirmation bias steers the experiment.

I believe greatly in science and its importance, but yes, the biggest and most importance element of science is that is is REPLICABLE. In other words, it is not that one scientist does and experiment, draws the conclusion, and declares what he or she did is correct. Something become a "scientific fact," or, that is to say, what the scientific world accepts as the the model for the moment, when it is heavily confirmed by multiple parties seeing he same thing. Even then it is subject to change when someone else comes up with a better model to explain results.
There is an 'unknown variable' when it comes to cryptids though, (especially Bigfoot and dogman), the two most often seen.

There is 'something' about them or their nature, that explains why and how they are so elusive.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:22 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Well, if the Bigfoot is a descendant of the Nephilim as I've suggested it may be, it may be far more intelligent and able to conceal its presence than if it were a hominid. The dog men, werewolves, they could be supernatural. Same as the skinwalkers. Demonic, even.
I don't buy the missing link theory. I like the stories and find them entertaining and intriguing, but I'm not 100% convinced they exist. Still , all those stories, some going way back make you wonder. And while I dismiss 90% of the bigfoot hunters as phonies, I think some are legitimate and have done some real investigating.
That David Paulides of Missing 411 stands out as one who I do think is honest.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 AM

27,658 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Perhaps this guy, or relatives thereof, didnt go extinct afterall
Gigantopithecus

Old 03-23-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Well, if the Bigfoot is a descendant of the Nephilim as I've suggested it may be, it may be far more intelligent and able to conceal its presence than if it were a hominid. The dog men, werewolves, they could be supernatural. Same as the skinwalkers. Demonic, even.
I don't buy the missing link theory. I like the stories and find them entertaining and intriguing, but I'm not 100% convinced they exist. Still , all those stories, some going way back make you wonder. And while I dismiss 90% of the bigfoot hunters as phonies, I think some are legitimate and have done some real investigating.
That David Paulides of Missing 411 stands out as one who I do think is honest.
If these creatures were 'Nephilim', dont you think they would be harming more people?

And they certainly would not mind being video recorded or photographed, that would be the last concern of theirs.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I definitely believe there is a specific reason why most 'mainstream' scientists, researchers, etc will not acknowledge the study of Sasquatch, (Im not claiming to know the reason though),
There is a reason. Because scientists DID investigate Sasquatch and the Yeti throughout the '60s and '70s. One of my college anthropology teachers was actually on several such trips to the Himalayas.

The reason the serious research stopped: None of the evidence panned out. None of it. Even the supposed yeti bones and fur in Tibet and Nepal all turned out to be from known animals. Scientists who desperately wanted to find evidence of these creatures never turned up a single shred.

So serious science did look into these claims. They concluded there is no there there.

So why have serious scientists stopped investigating Bigfoot and the Yeti? For the same reason scientists don't investigate claims of unicorns and hippogriffs and trolls.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There is a reason. Because scientists DID investigate Sasquatch and the Yeti throughout the '60s and '70s. One of my college anthropology teachers was actually on several such trips to the Himalayas.

The reason the serious research stopped: None of the evidence panned out. None of it. Even the supposed yeti bones and fur in Tibet and Nepal all turned out to be from known animals. Scientists who desperately wanted to find evidence of these creatures never turned up a single shred.

So serious science did look into these claims. They concluded there is no there there.

So why have serious scientists stopped investigating Bigfoot and the Yeti? For the same reason scientists don't investigate claims of unicorns and hippogriffs and trolls.
Question...if people are hoaxing and faking Bigfoot sightings...why are they not also faking 'hippogriffs, unicorns, troll, etc sightings too?

There are PLENTY of pure white horses running around out there, certainly there are people who 'mis-identified' a couple as being 'unicorns'...right?

Old 03-26-2020, 08:24 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Question...if people are hoaxing and faking Bigfoot sightings...why are they not also faking 'hippogriffs, unicorns, troll, etc sightings too?

There are PLENTY of pure white horses running around out there, certainly there are people who 'mis-identified' a couple as being 'unicorns'...right?
I completely agree with the part of the post you bolded by Mark S.

My guess is there is no money in unicorns, trolls, and hippogriffs. There is a boat load of cash in Bigfoot, Dogman, and fortune tellers/psychics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal