Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 04:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
How nobody took any pictures in that birthday party?
Depending on when this was (sounds like when OP was a child), people didn't constantly videotape and take a bazillion pictures of every event for Facebook and Instagram to the exclusion of actually participating in/enjoying said events.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-09-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 05:27 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Depending on what this was (sounds like when OP was a child), people didn't constantly videotape and take a bazillion pictures of every event for Facebook and Instagram to the exclusion of actually participating in/enjoying said events.
I grew up in the 1950s. My parents would get a roll of film and flashbulbs before a party. Sometimes the flashbulbs failed, and you lost a shot. You had to pop the flashbulb out and put a new one in. There were no smart phones, no digital cameras, and many families didn't have a home movie camera (we did have a wind-up 8mm one). You had to pay to get a roll of film developed and printed, and hope that at least some of them turned out OK. And there were no social media or internet to post them on; if you wanted someone to have a print, you'd have to have a print made and mail it to them via the USPS.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I grew up in the 1950s. My parents would get a roll of film and flashbulbs before a party. Sometimes the flashbulbs failed, and you lost a shot. You had to pop the flashbulb out and put a new one in. There were no smart phones, no digital cameras, and many families didn't have a home movie camera (we did have a wind-up 8mm one). You had to pay to get a roll of film developed and printed, and hope that at least some of them turned out OK. And there were no social media or internet to post them on; if you wanted someone to have a print, you'd have to have a print made and mail it to them via the USPS.
Yup! Taking pictures was quite an occasion in itself. It's kind of sad how FEW photos I have of my childhood. On the other hand, we were fully present in our experiences (not distracted by technology), and I have my memories!

Old 12-10-2020, 06:27 PM

777 posts, read 881,870 times
Gregory House - Haunted Houses

Cahill Mansion makes my top 5 list of the
most haunted houses I have ever read about.
I first learned about the case through the book
Ghosts Around the House which has been out
of print for a long time. This article provides
details about the haunting there. I thought
about this case because the previous posters
(including myself) mentioned casual photography
of family events. The Gregory family occupied this
house for 10 years + and what is scary is that
they used cameras for holidays and birthdays
but none of the photos they took inside the
house would show a proper image. They would
always show fog or be very blurry so their are
no photos of the interior of the house.
There are exterior shots only.

One particularly striking incident is the ghost of
a U.S. military sergeant who ran an illegal gambling
and prostitution operation in the house during
WW2. A housekeeper reported him exiting a
bathroom and looking her "squarely in the face"
before he continued walking further into the house.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:49 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Ghosts are energy, so I guess it's possible they can materialize and move objects. This thread reminds me of a lady I worked with in rescue. She suddenly passed and we stopped by her house with a meal for her husband a couple of weeks after it happened.

He mentioned the desk chair she used to sit in would be moved at night. He said when he was asleep, he'd be awakened by the dogs barking, come into the living room and find her desk chair sitting in the middle of the room. He said this happened frequently.

Not sure what was causing this, but it was an interesting story.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:36 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Ghosts are energy,
This would explain a lot, but I'd like to know how they're energy. Without a physical body generating an electro-magnetic field, where does their energy come from? What does it stick to? A physicist I spoke to a few years ago said, that life on Earth acquires electro-magnetic energy from the positively-charged particles emitted by the sun, and the negative charge emitted by the Earth and its molten iron core. But ghosts aren't a form of life. How would those atmospheric positive and negative charges affect them?

Research is needed.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:53 AM

Well, PEOPLE are (have) energy, and energy cannot be created or destroyed; only transferred.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:51 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This would explain a lot, but I'd like to know how they're energy. Without a physical body generating an electro-magnetic field, where does their energy come from? What does it stick to? A physicist I spoke to a few years ago said, that life on Earth acquires electro-magnetic energy from the positively-charged particles emitted by the sun, and the negative charge emitted by the Earth and its molten iron core. But ghosts aren't a form of life. How would those atmospheric positive and negative charges affect them?

Research is needed.
Humans are energy, when we die, our energy is transferred. I don't know if you watch Ghost Adventures, but the guys often go to places where they believe energy from the earth attracts spiritual energy.That atmospheric energy you mention is more noticeable near water, in a cave or in a mining town.

According to different people as well as ghost hunters, spirits are able to move things, slam doors, make lights flicker. This might be more frequent or stronger if it happened in a mining town, for instance.

There is a lot we don't know and yes, more research is needed.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:26 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
I like this thread.

Many talk of sensing presences, but it's the feeling them as a solid, that interests me, even when they can't be seen.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, PEOPLE are (have) energy, and energy cannot be created or destroyed; only transferred.
Yes, I know the rule. But I'd like to know, when the heart's electric ticker stops beating, and the brain's electrical synapses stop generating, why wouldn't the body's energy just flicker out, like a light switch being turned off? Living things aren't connected to anything, like the light is connected to a wire (are they??), so when the energy source dies, the energy doesn't just hang out in the wire until someone flips the switch again (does it?).

But most rocks have EM fields, and they're not alive. But they have mass. Ghosts don't have mass. So what would their "energy" be based on?

We can quote these scientific principles, like matter is just a form of dense energy, but how do they really work, in the nitty-gritty detail?

Cool thread, OP.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-19-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal