Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 05:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Oh my goodness! Thank you to the poster who mentioned the purse/wallet.
My s.i.l. sends me thrift finds. And she often stuffs coins in the wallet or purse. Never knew til now it was her kind gesture (superstition).

- recently each time I see this bunny in my yard...it never fails...bad things happen in my life. I know they are suppose to bring good luck. But this bunny shows up to warn me.

- I believe in pennies from heaven.
But will not pick up a found coin if it's heads down. I must give it to a charity or leave it be.
My parents never ever ever gave a wallet or a purse as a gift unless there was cash in it. That’s a must. I once made a purse for a friend of mine who was paying me. When she opened it up she found a dollar in it and she told me this must be yours! I said no that goes with the purse and I explained why. My parents had that superstition and that I was carrying on the tradition. I don’t believe in the superstition, but I found it charming to do.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:46 PM

365 posts, read 216,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Just the few that ive conjured up myself such as, keep it to yourself or you'll be sorry.

And to what kind of situations does this apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 06:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I have quite a few, although I don't fret if I can't do them.
  • I do the knock on wood thing too--and if wood isn't available, I knock on my head.
  • If I spill salt, I throw a bit of it over my left shoulder.
  • If I give someone a purse or wallet, I like to put a coin in it, so it will never be empty as long as they have it
I go along with the above. I'm careful not to jinx myself. I was once riding in my car and remarked how well it had been running. I regretted saying it immediately, and the same day the car broke down.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Nope. I began abandoning superstitions when I was about 10 years old, and figured out that 'Santa Claus' couldn't possibly be real. 'Tooth Fairy', 'Easter Bunny', 'Leprechauns' and 'Gods' died soon thereafter. It took a little longer and more education in Physics to kill off 'ghosts', 'ESP' and 'flying saucers', but eventually they were buried as well.

Nowadays if anyone wants to convince me of anything extraordinary, they had better have some convincing evidence.
You can't convince anyone who doesn't believe in the paranormal that it happened, and if you believe it happened to you, no one can convince you otherwise.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:05 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
There's a phenom in astrology known as 'Mercury Retrograde', usually a few weeks during the year when doing stuff like signing contracts, major purchases, and generally starting new endeavors, is considered 'inauspicious'. And personally think there might be enough to it worth the occasional 're-scheduling', but even at worst, I figure it's just a harmless 'superstition'.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
When I want something positive to happen in my life I go out into the woods, dance naked around a fire and sacrifice small animals.

Seriously, though. I do the knock on wood thing, more out of habit than superstition.

I do have one big superstition but it's based in reality. I avoid investing in the stock market because, whenever I do, I lose money.

I freak out superstitious people when I give out my phone number. It's got 666 in the middle.

Oh, and one thing I will not do is stand in front of a mirror and say Bl--dy M-ry 3 times. Best not to take chances on that one.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:20 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
It's psychologically healthy to abide by a few superstitions apparently

You know, OP, when you include a statement like that ^^^ in your first post in a thread, it would be good to include a couple of legitimate sources. Perhaps you could do that?

Old 07-02-2021, 12:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
My thoughts on this which you may not believe:

Energy flows towards wherever you direct your thoughts. This is the basis for The Secret, Creative Visualization, prayer, spells, rituals and all kinds of religious & occult practices. I believe this is a Universal Law.

So, if you think positive thoughts then you will attract positive things. The more we fear and think of bad circumstances, the more they are likely to happen.This is mainly because we create our reality in the level/dimension above this one and it manifests by slowing down down into material things in our 3D world.

I cannot tell you how many positive things which have happened in my life and out of the blue too. Sometimes I sit and wonder what I have done to deserve it, but I am still grateful they happen.

Maybe the folks who are superstitious are generally afraid and do not believe that the Universe will provide for them?

Old 07-02-2021, 10:53 AM

365 posts, read 216,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You know, OP, when you include a statement like that ^^^ in your first post in a thread, it would be good to include a couple of legitimate sources. Perhaps you could do that?
Google it.

Plus, isn't it obvious that it's psychologically healthy because it's reassuring? I realised it as soon as I read the title of whichever article it was that I learned this from...and I had probably known this in the back of my mind even prior.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Google it.

Plus, isn't it obvious that it's psychologically healthy because it's reassuring? I realised it as soon as I read the title of whichever article it was that I learned this from...and I had probably known this in the back of my mind even prior.
Well, it’s actually a double edged sword.

It can be a little boost for people on one hand on the other hand if you have something like OCD it could actually create more havoc in your life.

Pretty much like most things in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal