Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 10:17 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If there once was a horse with a horn/s, why would you think it was not a unicorn?

`
I do think its possible certain animals existed in biblical times (that do not exist today), dragons are one of those animals...I dont believe the bible (and many other books) were referring to alligators, crocs, Komodo dragon, etc...the 'dragons' mentioned are too large and do not fit the overall descriptions,one example would be breathing smoke/fire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 01:27 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do think its possible certain animals existed in biblical times (that do not exist today), dragons are one of those animals...I dont believe the bible (and many other books) were referring to alligators, crocs, Komodo dragon, etc...the 'dragons' mentioned are too large and do not fit the overall descriptions,one example would be breathing smoke/fire
The link Mark S posted in post #2 explained why the bible mentioned unicorns. Chances were they were talking about the Indian rhinoceros. Just one more misidentification like most of the fictional stories you post.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:37 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Don't interpret Apocalyptic Literature literally. These are visions with dragons and monsters that would give a Kaiju flick good ideas. Monsters with multiple heads, ten horns, lots of eyes. Angels like burning wheels, covered in eyes and wings. It's symbolic. It's a vision. They aren't talking about real animals.

Imagine two thousand years from now, someone watching THE AVENGERS movie. I'm sure in some far-future forum, someone will come along and say, "See! Here is proof that people in the 21st century still believe in Norse gods who flew around with magic hammers, and they obviously had contact with extra-terrestrial tyrants. Why else would they make such a story?"

Old 09-10-2021, 03:02 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Imagine two thousand years from now, someone watching THE AVENGERS movie. I'm sure in some far-future forum, someone will come along and say, "See! Here is proof that people in the 21st century still believe in Norse gods who flew around with magic hammers, and they obviously had contact with extra-terrestrial tyrants. Why else would they make such a story?"
More like "Wow, they sure had to endure some bad cinema then!"

Old 09-10-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Don't interpret Apocalyptic Literature literally. These are visions with dragons and monsters that would give a Kaiju flick good ideas. Monsters with multiple heads, ten horns, lots of eyes. Angels like burning wheels, covered in eyes and wings. It's symbolic. It's a vision. They aren't talking about real animals.

Depends on the literary source, some are symbolic/metaphorical and others are meant to be literal, I can provide examples of this relating to Dragons (not so much Unicorns though), there isnt much historically on Unicorns that Ive come across, (mostly fiction), I cannot think of any example of someone trying to claim Unicorns are real.

As far as Angels go...if they are the type of being I think they are, they can take on any form they like...so its possible they took on a form that was covered in eyes and precious jewels, wings, etc..They may have a 'default form' that they usually take on, IDK, anything is possible when it comes to the spiritual/supernatural realm.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The link Mark S posted in post #2 explained why the bible mentioned unicorns. Chances were they were talking about the Indian rhinoceros. Just one more misidentification like most of the fictional stories you post.
Not really a misidentification...Its possible the word 'Rhinoceros' was not yet coined...IDK, Ive not checked that, it would be interesting to look at some other historical references to Unicorns and just see if they are using to to describe Rhinos as well.

The descriptions and context certainly sound like it could be a Rhinoceros!

Old 09-12-2021, 04:16 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Unicorns mentioned in the Bible can also be attributed to the translation. Often times, there is no direct equivalent to a word and the translator just uses the closest word that, in his mind, that comes closest.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Unicorns mentioned in the Bible can also be attributed to the translation. Often times, there is no direct equivalent to a word and the translator just uses the closest word that, in his mind, that comes closest.
It does not take 2, 3, or 4 thousand years for people to think differently than we thought before. Take Harvey Weinstein. In 2016 the term 'casting couch' was a joke. One year later as the allegations against Weinstein surfaced; nobody thought it was a joke anymore. Even recently a Governor was forced out of office because of the allegations against him. Those are not the only examples of how our thinking has changed over the years; look at the terms 'politically correct', 'WOKE', and 'BLM'.

What I am saying is that it is almost impossible to do role reversal with anybody that lived thousands of years ago; their thinking was so much different than ours. Yes, they did respond to the external pressures of the day. Sometimes they could not speak or write the truth because of fear of death or imprisonment. Sometimes they took literary license to enhance their own position. Today we have people that also try to use translations to bolster their beliefs and position. I just have this feeling that it is impossible for us to ever know the truth about ancient transcripts.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:52 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I used to have a book about strange and wonderful animals from the middle ages. It explained that since there were no photographs and paper was scarce, descriptions of far-off places and creatures were passed along by word of mouth and got quite fantastic.

Among others, the book covered unicorns/rhinoceri,
Dragons (which may have been an attempt to explain dinosaur bones),
The Camelopard, a cross between a camel and a leopard (we now call it a giraffe), and
Vegetable lamb, which had a charming medieval illustration of tiny sheep growing on a bush. That was the "telephone game" version of cotton.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I used to have a book about strange and wonderful animals from the middle ages. It explained that since there were no photographs and paper was scarce, descriptions of far-off places and creatures were passed along by word of mouth and got quite fantastic.

Among others, the book covered unicorns/rhinoceri,
Dragons (which may have been an attempt to explain dinosaur bones),
The Camelopard, a cross between a camel and a leopard (we now call it a giraffe), and
Vegetable lamb, which had a charming medieval illustration of tiny sheep growing on a bush. That was the "telephone game" version of cotton.
Here in the US, if we go back 200 years into our past, most of our poll takers traveled by horse. Many of them did not take field notes and only wrote down, what they remembered when they got back to the home/office. That is why so many of us have similar last names that are not spelled the same way. It is also what happened centuries past when people passed down information word of mouth until somebody finally wrote it down.

Today our courts are even questioning eyewitness testimony because too many times people have wrongly accused the innocent. Now we also have the technology to alter video and pictures so it gets harder to determine what is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal