Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 02:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,160 times

Advertisements

So me and my wife woke up right now from a dead sleep because we heard what sounded like howling coming from directly next to our ears, and it sounded like a human doing it. It didn't persist after waking.

She works at night, so this has happened to me before, but never really to her. The last time it happened to me it could almost be described as a howl, but it sounded a bit more melodic and persisted for a split second after I woke up. A time before that it was just a noise in my ear. No way to describe it. But it woke me up, and didn't persist. It seems to be about 2 am each time.

She has, however, once heard someone arguing down the hallway.

Anybody know what could be causing this or how to fix it? We've only been in this house 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 07:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have had enough unexplainable experiences that I'm open to the possibility of the paranormal, same for my wife. I would definitely do some research into the house, if you can. How old is it, how many families have lived in it, and has anyone died there? Most of the experiences we have had were in hotels over 100 years old, and later research always revealed multiple deaths there over the years. When something happens while sleeping there is a gray area between dreaming and waking, and since it didn't persist after waking up it could have been dreamt. If it is a spirit, being about the same time would suggest a residual haunting.

https://publish.uwo.ca/~hpower2/the-...residuals.html

Old 03-05-2024, 09:58 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counciler View Post
So me and my wife woke up right now from a dead sleep because we heard what sounded like howling coming from directly next to our ears, and it sounded like a human doing it. It didn't persist after waking.

She works at night, so this has happened to me before, but never really to her. The last time it happened to me it could almost be described as a howl, but it sounded a bit more melodic and persisted for a split second after I woke up. A time before that it was just a noise in my ear. No way to describe it. But it woke me up, and didn't persist. It seems to be about 2 am each time.

She has, however, once heard someone arguing down the hallway.

Anybody know what could be causing this or how to fix it? We've only been in this house 2 years.
Do you live in a house or an apartment?

Old 03-05-2024, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,160 times
There was once it seemed to persist for a second after waking. This most recent time it was a shared experience. The first couple of times I blamed on the fact that I suddenly woke from REM sleep, since it was just me and it didn't persist. So I don't believe it to be related to sleep.

I live in a house. I suppose I'll have to do some research into the history of it. I don't know much about the previous owner, she just bailed suddenly to Mexico to be with some guy. Even left a good chunk of her stuff here. Some really nice curio cabinets and stuff. So at least I know she didn't die. Thanks for the resource about residuals and smudging the sage, I'll try that as well.

I did hear that the general area was built on some old native American ground. Is that a legitimate source of haunting or is that just a myth?

Old 03-05-2024, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counciler View Post
There was once it seemed to persist for a second after waking. This most recent time it was a shared experience. The first couple of times I blamed on the fact that I suddenly woke from REM sleep, since it was just me and it didn't persist. So I don't believe it to be related to sleep.

I live in a house. I suppose I'll have to do some research into the history of it. I don't know much about the previous owner, she just bailed suddenly to Mexico to be with some guy. Even left a good chunk of her stuff here. Some really nice curio cabinets and stuff. So at least I know she didn't die. Thanks for the resource about residuals and smudging the sage, I'll try that as well.

I did hear that the general area was built on some old native American ground. Is that a legitimate source of haunting or is that just a myth?
Any building on top of a graveyard is more likely to exhibit unexplained phenomena. That's more so when the deceased are people that have strong beliefs in the afterlife, such as the native Americans.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:50 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Any chance you just have a really obnoxious neighbor?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bria...XpbAwgrJA,st:0

Old 03-05-2024, 03:51 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Any chance you just have a really obnoxious neighbor?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bria...XpbAwgrJA,st:0

Or maybe a couple of feuding tomcats outside your window?

Old 03-05-2024, 05:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Or maybe a couple of feuding tomcats outside your window?
Or — as my mother-in-law used to say maybe it’s a male and a female cat “he-ing and she-ing”.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:27 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I'm always amazed that people stay where these scary things happen. I would be out of there so fast my shadow would have to run to catch up!

Old 03-05-2024, 06:51 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm always amazed that people stay where these scary things happen. I would be out of there so fast my shadow would have to run to catch up!
I lived in a haunted house for two years.

I had a baby four months before moving in and a two year old. My husband lost his job after the first year. Thankfully, he found another right away. He worked from home for two days a week and at the company's headquarters three days a week - about 300 miles from home. We weren't sure if it would work out - this was in the mid-90's before WFH became a thing. It was a chaotic two years.

I asked my neighbor about the past tenants and she told me about the guy who committed suicide. I said to myself "well, that's who it is!" Then she told me that no one stayed in the townhouse for more than a year! Wonder why?

The haunting freaked me for a decade afterwards. I was still scared in my new home. Obviously, it's been awhile but every time I hear a noise - like my new house settling, I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal