Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times

Advertisements

I wanna be a ghoul. Where can I find a ghoul school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Default yes, they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
No they do not exist. As a matter of fact, these "things" have been investigated by scientists for a long time. Did you know you can create the same kind of images and halllucinations of ghosts etc by being exposed to highly charged magnetic fields, or to signifcant emotional stress. Moreover, some people are lots more prone to these images than others.

But I did enjoy the Twilight series of books....it was a very good story.
not vampires and goblins, as far as i know, but ghosts/spirits - definitely.

I saw a ghost. This was when I was 6 or 7 years old, so it would have been like 1981 or 82. I grew up in a very small town in Southwestern Oregon called Sunny Valley. It's known for having the only covered bridge that is visible from the interstate (I-5). It was a different time and a small town, so as small children my sister and i used to walk or hitch-hike five or six miles to visit our two best friends, another brother and sister named Red, my sister's friend, and Don, my friend, Red's younger brother. They lived with their grandmother who had a couple of horses that we used to ride. As a small child I used to ride horses like a wild Indian - no saddle, no reigns - and I was pretty good at it. keep in mind, this was a rural area, so most houses were kind of in the woods or in the hills, no 'neighborhoods' as such.

So one day the four of us were riding the horses (Sugar)Cane and Chico, right in front of their grandmother's house, and Red points to a small mountain in the distance and says calmly, like it was nothing particularly special, "look, there's 'Ghost Mountain'". And all four of us saw it, and we all knew it saw us, even though it was far away and on top of a distant hill (it appeared to be very big so as to be seen from a distance). It looked like the shape of a person wearing a sheet, acting like a ghost, but it was like a cloud of dust. When we looked at it, it raised both arms - like a person acting like a ghost. "Did you see it? It went like this [raised it's arms]," we all said to each other. Unafraid, we continued to go about our business...kept on playing.

I didn't think about it much growing up, but I always remembered it.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Just because we don't understand it does not make it paranormal or supernatural. Those words imply "magic" or something outside the realm of physics/science/mathematics et cetera. Something for which there is NO physical evidence, logic, or factual explanation.

My contention is that if something exists, it is not paranormal or supernatural, but can and will eventually be explained and understood through one of the scientific disciplines.
I more or less agree with that last statement. It, of course, assumes that we continue to grow our knowledge of science and trim off the excesses. Some of the stuff that Randi does in his attempts to debunk everything are just as excessive as some of the claims being made.

Do I believe in ghosts? I don't know, and it doesn't matter. If there are such manifestations then there are. If there are not, then they don't. Whether or not my ego thinks one way or the other has no apparent bearing on that.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Do I believe in ghosts? I don't know, and it doesn't matter. If there are such manifestations then there are. If there are not, then they don't. Whether or not my ego thinks one way or the other has no apparent bearing on that.
I disbelieve in ghosts, demons, et cetera for the simple reason that there is not one bit of evidence proving their existence. If that changes, and someone shows me solid scientific proof...well, then I reserve the right to change my opinion on the subject, as any logical thinking person would do.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I disbelieve in ghosts, demons, et cetera for the simple reason that there is not one bit of evidence proving their existence. If that changes, and someone shows me solid scientific proof...well, then I reserve the right to change my opinion on the subject, as any logical thinking person would do.
....but there is just as much evidence about ghosts etc as there is about angels and god....

....so how is it lots of people beleive in angles, and not in ghosts?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM

17 posts, read 43,880 times
What would constitute "solid scientific proof" in your eyes? It's just a general question because up until now, science has not been able to find a way to measure or document similar 'paranormal' occurrences. Some people have pictures. Some have EMF readings. Some have video footage. Some have recordings on voice recorders. More often, people are getting 'stuff' at the same time or more than one piece of equipment. To that end, I think that eventually, science will be able to come up with a way of measuring 'paranormal activity' in order to study it, and therefore 'prove' that it exists or debunk it and explain what really is occurring. In the meantime, on a personal level, I do believe that residual hauntings exist, that ghosts and intelligent hauntings exist, that there are energy anomalies that cause people to hallucinate and/or trigger emotional responses and that there are 'psychic' vampires out there....as for werewolves and vampires....no

Old 02-06-2009, 03:09 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
....but there is just as much evidence about ghosts etc as there is about angels and god....

....so how is it lots of people beleive in angles, and not in ghosts?
There's no evidence for any of those things, and I don't believe in angels either.

Angles, though...I always did like geometry.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmansBiach View Post
What would constitute "solid scientific proof" in your eyes?
I didn't use the words "solid scientific proof", I used the words "evidence." Thereby leaving open any evidence of the occult, or the godly as one may choose.

So, I repeat my question....

Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I think ghosts exist, I have seen the paranormal shows enough that something exists. but the rest are pretty much fiction. I wish they did exist, but they scare the everliving heck out of me.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,462 times
Yes. I've seen them personally, up close. Those vile little fiends call themselves "IRS agents". They're thieves, but they have weird paranormal powers into brainwashing their victims into obedience. Scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal