Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 PM

413 posts, read 789,481 times

Advertisements

London is by far the UK's largest city and its unquestioned economic, cultural and political capital. It's arguably the most cosmopolitan city in the world. But what about the other major cities in the UK? I never hear anything about them. Surely some of them are rather nice too?

In your opinion, which UK city (other than London) is the most cosmopolitan? By cosmopolitan, I mean that the city possesses several of the following traits: a robust creative class economy, great architecture (either historic or ultra-modern), a noteworthy culinary scene, good shopping, an extensive calendar of arts events and outdoor recreation opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,674 times
Edinbugh (Scotland) would have to come second in terms of historically beautiful architecture and a thriving economy. It has beautiful historic sites nearby, picturesque scenery and has the highest GVA (gross value added) per employee of any UK city outside of London. Unemployment stands currently at 3.6%, and is consistently below the 4.5% Scottish average.It is a tourist hub and has a higher proportion of 16-24 year olds than the rest of Scotland, reflecting perhaps Edinburgh's colossal reputation as a City very popular with students. It is, however, relatively British in nationality and white in ethnic make-up by UK standards (95% in fact) and not as diverse as other UK cities which is probably a factor that would count against Edinburgh in terms of being a truly cosmopolitan global City to rival London.

Manchester probably fits the description of England's second most vibrant city and is phenomenally well known for much of the attributes you describe. It's an extremely diverse place, well known for its legendary music scene, nightlife and thriving economy, and in all these aspects it is undoubtedly the second major City in England. The Smiths came from Manchester as did other musical titans such as New Order and Joy Division and the city has been a major contributor to changing trends and cultural reference points such as the Madchester and rave scenes of the early 90's. It is also well known for its canals, shopping precincts and student, arts and gay scenes. The Charles Dickens novel 'Hard Times' was said to have been set in the city and Manchester is home to the BBC philarmonic orchestra and has classical music venues such as the Bridgewater Hall, countless museums and is home to the biggest (Manchester United) and the richest (Manchester City) football clubs in the UK. The BBC's headquarters in Oxford Road is the corporation's second biggest broadcasting facility outside London, again perhaps a huge indicator of its largely undisputed status as England's (arguably the UK's) second city.

Liverpool would contest Manchester's second city status but Liverpool in contrast has suffered in the shadows (economically at least) to its local rival. However, I prefer Liverpool personally. It has soul, is the home of the Beatles, legendary historic landmarks, the river Mersey which crashes relentlessly against the rocks and is just a short journey across the Irish sea to my beloved Ireland. This docks of Liverpool were where many Irish and English sailed to America during the heyday of huge European immigration to the US and there is still an Irish American bar near the docks as a historic reminder of this fact. The area resonates with its rich architecture that has real character and the whole of Liverpool simply oozes with colour and a gritty authenticity that pips Manchester in my opinion. If only in terms of nightlife and personality. Liverpool has more public sculptures than any UK city outside London and the historic waterfront of the city was major port central to Liverpool's pivotal role as Britain's second major city (according to prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli) during the Empire era. For periods of the 19th century, the wealth of Liverpool actually surpassed that of London. William Brown street id the city's cultural quarter, home as it is to St. George's Hall and a host of other neo-classical architecture.

The people of Liverpool certainly know how to enjoy themselves and the nightclubs and bars of Liverpool are legendary. Liverpudlians are virtually a breed apart but that's what gives Liverpool its vitality, charm and brilliant humour. Both cities are a must to visit however, though it must be remembered that the realignment of the UK economy in the 1980's towards outsourcing and the financial and services industries of London destroyed Manchester's textile industrustry and if Manchester was hit hard as a result, Liverpool was completely annihilated as unemployment hit both regions very hard, but Liverpool much harder. This is why neither region could claim to seriously compete wih London though Manchester comes closer than any other region in the UK along with Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland. In Liverpool especially though, just don't mention Margaret Thatcher.

Birmigham is probably the third major city and is certainly one of the most diverse in the UK. However, it's not as popular a tourist destination as the other two major cities mentioned above and Newcastle in the North East probably represents more of an attractive proposition in terms of an enjoyable tourist destination.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 07-23-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Manchester is now considered the UK's second city by most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_city_of_the_United_Kingdom#Current

Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM

242 posts, read 315,441 times
I would say Manchester too having been there. It even has a Chinatown and I heard a multitude of different languages on the trains and trams. Nice city too....different buzz from London, but highly enjoyable.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,526 times
I can't quibble with a single thing Fear&Whiskey says about Liverpool and Manchester, even though I lived in Manchester for 20 years and loved it dearly.

There is something very special about Liverpudlians (and their city).

Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,006 times
Well Cambridge has the creative community, interesting architecture (both old and modern), not sure about the culinary scene, loads of every kind of shop, the folk festival and strawberry fair and arts cinema, with large city parks and an active river, and most important of all, a population receptive to interesting ideas. Not to lessen other cities, but Cambridge really is an interesting and unusual kind of place.

Last edited by Hengist; 07-23-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,674 times
Leeds, Nottingham and Bristol are probably the three other major cities of England with Cardiff, the capital of Wales obviously having alot to offer too as the biggest and most cosmopolitan part of Wales with Swansea not too far behind. It is true to also point out that some of the most attractive, historic and pleasurable cities to visit in the UK aren't always the most populated and vibrant locations. Neither are they necessarily cities either. Some of the most attractive destinations in the UK certainly lie elsewhere.

Cambridge is an interesting city (not somewhere I know well, but I have attended the folk festival and really enjoyed it)and Bath is another historically facinating part of the UK. Oxford too has a great deal to offer. Personally, I've always loved parts of the UK away from the main cities like the coastal town of Bournemouth, situated as it is between the New Forest and a beautiful beach, with a vibrant night life, immense range of historical and cultural sites in the nearby vicinity, ranging from Christchurch's range of ancient churches and Roman remnants to Dorchester where if you're a fan of Thomas Hardy you'll have a field day.

It depends what you're after really, but if you're young and looking for the frantic vibrancy that the vicerally enthralling pull of city life has to offer then every region of the UK has a main city of a comparable size and stature. If you're looking for a cosmopolitan city that ebbs and flows with everything that encapsulates excitement, diversity and a never-ending eange of activities, choice of music and cultrural activity then apart from London, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinbirgh and Glasgow would be the next on the list in terms of a cosmopolitan city competing on some level with the colosally imposing magnitude of a global centre ofcommerce such as London.

And if you were deciding based on size and stature, after the above mentioned I'd say (in no particular order) Cardiff, Nottingham, Newcastle, Birmingham, Bristol and Leeds would most likely be your next port of call.There are many more intersting towns and villages that are more attractive in terms of architecture and culture away from the city that can also be places that contain much of the activity and diversity found in a major city. There are also more vibrantly economic places that aren't cities in the South East, very urban in composition, alot more mini-London in structure without the unique architecture, Londonlite (i.e Watford) but also alot more unromantic than many less economically thriving but more charimatic and appealing places of interest. elsewhere. But the cities I've mentioned above are basically the main cosmopolitan cities of the UK (in my opinion).

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 07-23-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 08:17 PM

507 posts, read 878,727 times
Obviously , Glasgow .

Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Isn't Birmingham actually like one third South Asian by ancestry? A fact that kind of surprised me.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Isn't Birmingham actually like one third South Asian by ancestry? A fact that kind of surprised me.
They do have a high percentage (21%) but it's not that high according to this: Lead View Table

Of course that's 3 years old but I suppose it's the latest data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom