Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:25 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I prefer the separate taps over one 'mixer tap' I was the victim of - the water came out looking like a single stream but it was boiling hot on one side and cold on the other - my left hand got royally scalded.

On closer examination it was a "mixer tap" that had a metal separator in the centre of the fawcett spout so while the water appeared to be coming out in a single stream, just inside the spout was still separate! OUCH!
I KNOW! And only in the UK. I can't understand why they can't manage a proper tap.

Still can't stand the two - I find I turn both on in the winter, so I can rinse off the soap properly (and warm my hands) while using the cold water to cool the skin enough to take the heat of the hot water. It's nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
Electric heating is cheaper to install,normally you'll have total control or what used to be economy 7. In our first house we installed electric because it was cheaper, we didn't have mains gas and coal is generally not a good choice because a; expense b; polluting c; hard work for obvious reasons and ironically when we moved to Scotland we ended up with coal powered central heating (house is 100yrs) which is inadequate. As for the temperatures up here (far north of Scotland) they are often in winter below zero, in fact we had minus 20 last winter.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,107 times
You are unfortunate in the extreme or just a bad selector of accommodation. I don't know of many flats for rent which don't have double glazing AND central heating. If I were in your shoes, I'ld move.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
Quote:
I prefer the separate taps over one 'mixer tap' I was the victim of - the water came out looking like a single stream but it was boiling hot on one side and cold on the other - my left hand got royally scalded.

On closer examination it was a "mixer tap" that had a metal separator in the centre of the fawcett spout so while the water appeared to be coming out in a single stream, just inside the spout was still separate! OUCH!
Who came up with that idea. I wouldn't dream of having seperate taps.

Last edited by Crystal is a mess; 10-02-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 08:35 AM

174 posts, read 372,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Who came up with that idea. I wouldn't drean of having seperate taps.
De gustibus non est disputandum, a the Romans used to sing in the bath. What is the point of a single tap, I always wonder. It seems to guarantee the wrong temperature.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolo View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum, a the Romans used to sing in the bath. What is the point of a single tap, I always wonder. It seems to guarantee the wrong temperature.
What I meant was a single tap with a seperator.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Just an observation on central heating......

When I lived in New York my apt had single paned windows and steam heat.
Now I live in San Antonio, Tx and have central heat and AC.

I will take the steam heat over central heating any day of the week. This central heat dries me up bad. Keep a couple of pots full of water to keep the humidity up and the static electricity down.

Steam heat does have some drawbacks one I experienced first hand, came home from work, opened the front door and water was basically streaming down all my walls.. why? The valve on the radiator broke and (well you get the rest)

Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 AM

433 posts, read 459,911 times
Quote:

The only place I've seen this method is in the UK- I was amazed to see the hot & cold supply were two separate pipes within the spout. All of the mixer taps I've encountered elsewhere actually mix the water within the faucet before it gets to the spout.
Any plumbers here that know why it's done this way?

Dano

Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think they're electric but I'm no expert. There is something that looks like a boiler in our hallway closet but I think that's for our water, I don't think it has to do with the radiators.

Yeah I hate that but luckily, that's one thing our apartment does have!
You mean you don't know whether it's a gas or electric system?
If it's a fairly new appartment block then it may be all electric, as the regs for putting gas in appt blocks are very stringent

I think maybe what you have is a dry (rather than water filled radiators) electric heating system similar to the old night storage heaters or economy 7.
Do you get gas bills or just electric?

Any of these are classed as central heating.

We had a wet radiator system with no central thermostat. Just adjusted the thermostats on the radiators for different rooms.
In another house we had the central thermostat was in the living room where it was warmer as it got more winter sun. SO the heating used to click off, but the rest of the house, especially the bathroom which had 2 outside walls was cold!

If you have a wet electric heating system you would know about it.
We bought an investment property (new build) and people were getting electric bills for 400 GBP per month for 700 sq ft appartments, and they were out at work all day with no heating on.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 AM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
The only place I've seen this method is in the UK- I was amazed to see the hot & cold supply were two separate pipes within the spout. All of the mixer taps I've encountered elsewhere actually mix the water within the faucet before it gets to the spout.
Any plumbers here that know why it's done this way?

Dano
Ware to start Two separate pipes in tap so the hot water will not mix with the cold supply, most hot water in the UK is stored in tanks in the attic before it gets heated in the hot water cylinder so not safe to drink.

With the heating system without the room thermostat there should be one it has been code for longer than five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom