Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A Chinese takeaway was ordered to shut down after two live mice were found in a box of noodles.

Environmental health inspectors found the rodents in a gnawed box of dried noodles in the store room of the Dragon Palace Chinese Takeaway on London Road in Westcliff, Southend, Essex.

'Live mice in noodles' shuts Chinese takeaway - Features, Music - The Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Mice-A-Roni.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:10 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
The staff probably misheard the order.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Look ... everyone knows that "chicken" in a chinese takeaway can mean anything . They are cheap for a reason

Old 12-04-2010, 01:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
What is it about Chinese restaurants?

Where I live, there used to be about 4 Chinese restaurants, 3 of them eventually closed because of repeated health violations.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Heh, I went to a fish and chips place in Essex a month or so ago run by Chinese people and there was a Environmental Health guy in there, so all the workers were doing their best to pretend they couldn't understand a word of English and had no idea who he was or what he wanted. It was pretty funny watching them just walk away while he was asking to inspect the kitchen and have these panicked conversations in Chinese amongst themselves. I was the only actual customer in there and it still took them about 20 minutes to get my order right I'd love to know what kind of visa they had to get into the country.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM

174 posts, read 372,984 times
I've always found Chinese people to be personally very clean. The trouble is that the restaurants are businesses and the owners business people - they pay and provide as little as possible and charge as much as they can get away with, unsurprisingly, given the attitude of some of their customers. I find Indian restaurants much more sympathetic, I must say, though I can still order in Chinese if I've a couple of beers down me!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
One word of cautionary advice. Beware any Takeaway that reveals to its customers nothing but a tiny square hatch and a mini television on the wall to distract from the clattering pans and the excrutiating wails of what can only be described as the equivalent sound to that of a stampeding elepant being slowly disembowelled and polluting the aural ambience for a 3 mile radius. Never a good sign.

I used to eat at such a place from time to time, usually when not too fussed about gourmet cuisine, seven sheets to the wind and lured by the enticing waft of anything resembling food and usually by the fact that it was only two doors away from my favoured local pub of the time.

It was actually on my way out of said pub after a lock in, down a dark, dank and grimy alleyway that I suddenly became aware of how much the back of the aforementioned establishment resembled a Sweeney Todd barber shop shrine that had been redecorated by a tsunami of rotting garbage and was laden with discarded rodent and lice riddled containers.

Made me wonder where the prawn balls could have come from. Smothered in enough sweet and sour sauce, could've been from just about anywhere I suppose. All I know is this, ominous chopping block and infestation of a very large local rodent population in the immediate vicinity.

You don't need to be Einstein to do the equation.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 12-08-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom