Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,057 times

Advertisements

hello, my family is going to be moving from washington dc to the UK at the end of the year for my husbands work. he'll be working outside of southampton so that's the general area of my focus, but i have no idea where to start looking to live. lymington and brockenhurst have been recommended to me as good places to start. one of my children will be starting preschool in the fall, so i also have questions about school as it relates to where we will live.
we'd like to live in a house and prefer neighborhoods with places for the kids to play outside (as opposed to city living).
any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. i have never been to the UK before!
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
This is a good place to start your research Brockenhurst house prices, property, crime rate, local neighbourhood & schools | UpMyStreet

Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Southampton is like the curate's egg- good in parts. There are some none too great parts and some very desirable parts with lots in between- same as many places.

The areas of Brockenhurst and Lymington in the New Forest, where I live, are very expensive and bear in mind that house prices in the UK are pretty high anyway. That said they are none too far from the west side of Southampton.

Southampton is not alone in being a busy place to commute through, so an indication of where your husband's workplace is might help us and help you.

I rarely go into the town, as I'm not a town person, but my wife is dragging me along to the large shopping area called West Quay on Friday. It's a popular destination which includes a good upmarket store, part of a national chain, called John Lewis.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,747 times
On the east side of town, Netley and nearby villages are OK, and connected to rail.

OFTSED school reports can be found by clicking on a property's map on Rightmove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom