Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

First off, I KNOW the difference between the two, so no need for a geography lesson...my question is, how comes sometimes the nation is called 'Great Britain' and sometimes 'the United Kingdom'? Is it just me or did it seem more popular to call it GB in the 90s? Is it simply done interchangeable, or when GB is used, it specifically excludes Northern Ireland? Just as England competes as it's own country in sporting events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
I defer you to this thread,

UK-England - Ireland ....??

more specifically, this post

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18086192-post12.html

Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 AM

No as I indicated I'm just wondering why it's sometimes called the UK and sometimes GB. Is it because they deliberate want to exclude Northern Ireland or do many view the terms as interchangeable?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Great Britain is used by the ignorant (or British-bashers) who don't know (or don't accept) that Northern Ireland is part of the country, as well as the Channel islands, Isle of Man, and the British overseas territories (Gibraltar, Akrotiri-Dekhelia in Cyprus, Bermuda, Turks and Caicos islands, Cayman islands, British Virgin islands, Montserrat, Anguilla, Ascension/St Helen/Tristan Da Cunha, Falkland islands, South Georgia, South Sandwich islands, Chagos archipelago, Oeno/Ducie/Pitcairn).

Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Nowadays I actually think that many here don't actually know the difference between the UK and Great Britain.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Great Britain is used by the ignorant (or British-bashers) who don't know (or don't accept) that Northern Ireland is part of the country, as well as the Channel islands, Isle of Man, and the British overseas territories (Gibraltar, Akrotiri-Dekhelia in Cyprus, Bermuda, Turks and Caicos islands, Cayman islands, British Virgin islands, Montserrat, Anguilla, Ascension/St Helen/Tristan Da Cunha, Falkland islands, South Georgia, South Sandwich islands, Chagos archipelago, Oeno/Ducie/Pitcairn).
Ignorant seems to be your favorite word on this site! It is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland So people cut it down to Great Britain, the United Kingdom or the UK just like the United States of America cuts it down to the USA, the US, America or the United States.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ignorant seems to be your favorite word on this site! It is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland So people cut it down to Great Britain, the United Kingdom or the UK just like the United States of America cuts it down to the USA, the US, America or the United States.
Thanks Paul, most logical answer so far! Although Great Britain technically does exclude Northern Ireland, which I'm sure is usually not their intention.

Nowadays 'United Kingdom' sounds a wee bit more official.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:39 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
First off, I KNOW the difference between the two, so no need for a geography lesson...my question is, how comes sometimes the nation is called 'Great Britain' and sometimes 'the United Kingdom'? Is it just me or did it seem more popular to call it GB in the 90s? Is it simply done interchangeable, or when GB is used, it specifically excludes Northern Ireland? Just as England competes as it's own country in sporting events?
I rarely hear it called Great Britain. I think Jezer and Paul's comments are most applicable. A lot of people don't differentiate and it has nothing to do with maliciousness (e.g. intentionally wanting to exclude NI). They just use the terms interchangeably (albeit incorrectly).

A lot of people just aren't great on geography. The other night Graham Norton introduced Salma Hayek as a "sexy South American" - last time I checked Mexico was still in North America (and yes he knew she was from Mexico). And you wouldn't believe how many people think Bermuda is a Caribbean island.

Geographical knowledge is simply not what it should be. IMHO it's nothing more sinister than that.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thanks Paul, most logical answer so far! Although Great Britain technically does exclude Northern Ireland, which I'm sure is usually not their intention.

Nowadays 'United Kingdom' sounds a wee bit more official.
Most people will refer to it as the 'UK" although the country sticker is 'GB'. Also, people will refer to themselves as 'British' (yep, including many in N. Ireland) rather than 'UKish'. No real reason why people use one or the other. Its more force of habit than anything else.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I defer you to this thread,

UK-England - Ireland ....??

more specifically, this post

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18086192-post12.html
I love the UTube clip !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom