Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,144 times

Advertisements

Alright, I've heard quite a few people complaining about the perceived population density in the U.K, and how it's "overcrowded" and what not. Someone also said immigration has to be slowed down because it's getting "too much".
In contrast, 73% of Japan is not inhabitable and they have 127 million people at 377,00 km^2. Now, of course the U.K. is smaller. It's 244,000 km^2. But, again, 73% of Japan is inhabitable (see wikipedia ), and it seems like they are doing just fine. The U.K. could probably hit the 120 million mark and it would still be ok. Especially now that the architecture is much better than it was 200 years ago, and adding 4-5 more Londons would not take away a lot of space. It's 1,500 km^2 out of 244,000.
So, I think it's kind of funny when people say this. And, yes, I do know and realize that the U.K. can, technically, get "full", but probably not until they get north of 160 million or so. Needless to say that's not gonna happen any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Jobs, healthcare, welfare, house prices, housing quality (already dire in the UK) The more people keep pilling in the bigger drain on the country. The UK has a huge population for the size of it. France is already looking to do something about the amount of illegal immigrants.

Sarkozy wants EU to do more about illegal immigrants - Daily News | News | IOL.co.za

Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Jobs, healthcare, welfare, house prices, housing quality (already dire in the UK) The more people keep pilling in the bigger drain on the country. The UK has a huge population for the size of it. France is already looking to do something about the amount of illegal immigrants.
This dosen't mean anything. That dosen't have anything to do with the size of the population. Unless you are adding millions of people in one year. Then, perhaps, I could see where this is coming from.. but that's not happening. I don't think those are valid arguments, because if this was true, it has something to do with bad planning, which could easily be fixed, and I don't think you can't fault immigrants for this.. or a growing population.

French election populism more rhetoric than reality | Reuters

Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
This dosen't mean anything. That dosen't have anything to do with the size of the population.
Ok then whatever you say. I firmly believe it has, it isn't rocket science to figger it out. London - astronomical house prices and large population, the UK has some of the worst housing in the developed world and will only get worse the larger the population gets. There is already record breaking unemployment which will also get worse the larger the population gets leading to a larger welfare bill.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Ok then whatever you say. I firmly believe it has, it isn't rocket science to figger it out. London - astronomical house prices and large population, the UK has some of the worst housing in the developed world and will only get worse the larger the population gets. There is already record breaking unemployment which will also get worse the larger the population gets leading to a larger welfare bill.

Welfare isnt the problem. Immigration can bring many benefits and the UK should be doing a better job of attracting and retaining talent, and investing in future growth.

It's funny that people are always quick to talk about welfare, benefits or housing but never ever speak of corporate welfare. If you're worried about lack of jobs, why aren't you blaming deregulation or spending cuts??

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
London is a city. Not comparable. This will always be the same in a big city.

The U.K. had higher unemployment in the 90's - until the mid 90's, actually. You assume the people who come in won't work. That's not a reasonable assumption.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM

86 posts, read 222,315 times
London has astronomical housing prices because of stupid green belt laws. These laws are favored by land owners, because it drives up the price of their main asset. If the country invested in high quality public transportation and eased up on restrictive zoning housing would be a lot more affordable.

If UK actually built a decent high speed rail network the whole country could be one giant suburb of London. The latest Chinese HSR from Beijing to Shanghai can do London to Liverpool in under an hour, which is less time it took me to commute from Queens to Manhattan in NYC using the subway.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
"the UK could hit the 120 million mark and be still OK"
I believe you lack ambition : 200 million would be better, the more the fools, the more fun (I'm kidding of course, even 100 million would be a nightmare).

Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 AM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Many parts of the country are struggling with simple basics like water at the moment.

Environment Agency - Current water status

I'm glad I won't be around to see this country more over run than it is.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
"Gonna get" full? *&^%$, I couldn't imagine being cooped up on that island with 60 million other people.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-14-2012 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom