Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
The UK has changed a lot in 8 years? I doubt it. There have always been people who choose to just whine and complain about it.

I don't want to turn this into another UK vs. USA thread, because both have their advantages, but the UK is not the "hell on earth" that people like you make it out to be.

UK's advantages:

- Socialized medicine (I know this one irks you a lot)
- Better public transport
- Close proximity to mainland Europe
- Amazingly diverse scenery for such a small country
- Religion isn't rammed down your throat
- Better regulation and protection from vulture capitalists for the "little guy"
- Far less gun crime
- More annual leave, fewer working hours and longer maternity leave for women
- Same sex marriage is legal
- Deep, rich and varied history
- Great beer
- British comedy (best in the world, IMO)
- The Premier League

I'm sure I can think of more, but you get the gist of it, I hope?
definitely agree about British comedy!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,556,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
When I move to the U.S I will miss the local banter, people say "hi" to you strolling down the street.

I'll also miss our traditional pubs, distance (how everything is pretty close together), my friends and family, the familiarity of things, housing.

I will certainly not miss the neds, weather and the high cost of living.

But Scotland will always be my home.
I"m not advising anyone move to the states, given the current economy... but in Oregon, I've found here what you say you'll miss socially - the banter & people saying hi... Not to be found in southern California where I'm from.

People here actually smile while driving & often we wave to each other in passing on the street, driver to pedestrian (on the road where we live). It's pretty relaxed here in Oregon, for the most part.

.... What's a "ned" ?

warm regards, Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-23-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: ned?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I"m not advising anyone move to the states, given the current economy... but in Oregon, I've found here what you say you'll miss socially - the banter & people saying hi... Not to be found in southern California where I'm from.

People here actually smile while driving & often we wave to each other in passing on the street, driver to pedestrian (on the road where we live). It's pretty relaxed here in Oregon, for the most part.

.... What's a "ned" ?

warm regards, Kate
Like your white trash or hicks.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

615 posts, read 1,694,681 times
I skimmed through these posts too but I think in reality that in some areas both countries are worse than most people realize and in some areas both countries are better than most realize.

I spent four weeks in the UK this past summer and five weeks the summer before that. Much of my time was spent in Nottinghamshire which apparently has some of the worst crime in the country. I never felt unsafe. The US has gangs and antisocial behavior too. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and the same thing applies. Charlotte is supposedly a high crime area as well.

It just seems like some people refuse to face reality and look at things with tunnelvision. It's like they have to pick a side and only look at facts supporting that side.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
A "NED" stands for "Non-Educated Delinquent". It is a term primarily used in Scotland to describe certain types of anti-social delinquents.

This link might be helpful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 AM

139 posts, read 315,148 times
I'm from the US and recently moved to Liverpool. Never in my life have I felt so unsafe walking the streets at night. I have been attacked twice. The first time, a homeless man scared the perp off... the second time, I managed to struggle free. God knows what could have happened.

Of course I reported this to the police and they did absolutely nothing. They claimed I was drunk (FYI I hadn't drank anything that evening, I was simply traumatized) because I couldn't get my words out straight at first. They said they would follow up the next day with a statement. Did they? No. It took THREE WEEKS. I had moved past it. When I told the officer (on the phone) that there was no point in looking for this man, he verbally abused me, called me ignorant and a liar. I have no faith in the Liverpool PD. I'm not one of those people that hates cops. In fact, the complete opposite, however, I feel their department is extremely tactless.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWishedThatItWasABee View Post
I'm from the US and recently moved to Liverpool. Never in my life have I felt so unsafe walking the streets at night. I have been attacked twice. The first time, a homeless man scared the perp off... the second time, I managed to struggle free. God knows what could have happened.

Of course I reported this to the police and they did absolutely nothing. They claimed I was drunk (FYI I hadn't drank anything that evening, I was simply traumatized) because I couldn't get my words out straight at first. They said they would follow up the next day with a statement. Did they? No. It took THREE WEEKS. I had moved past it. When I told the officer (on the phone) that there was no point in looking for this man, he verbally abused me, called me ignorant and a liar. I have no faith in the Liverpool PD. I'm not one of those people that hates cops. In fact, the complete opposite, however, I feel their department is extremely tactless.
Sorry to hear about you travails In my experience, the police in the UK are pretty useless and more interested in managing crime statistics by going after easy targets.

Unfortunately, some cities are safer than others and I certainly consider my own home town of Glasgow to be a lot safer than many English cities .... especially for a woman (which I am not).

Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Unfortunately, some cities are safer than others and I certainly consider my own home town of Glasgow to be a lot safer than many English cities .... especially for a woman (which I am not).
I visit Glasgow once a week for shopping at i've never felt unsafe.

It has changed alot over the years, for the better.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM

161 posts, read 474,687 times
Britain is segregated in terms of crime / vandalism / violence and so on, but the govt. is doing its best to bring us all together in one world of graffitti and vomit. Their method is twofold - one, we have 24 hour drinking which benefits their pals in the booze trade but ruins our towns, and two, there is a big trend towards 'integration' i.e. putting blocks of 'social housing' in amongst family homes. We have one near us, & intend to move before the kids who are now 4 and already vandals, get old enough to be really dangerous.

One simple method to deal with the drinking problem could be to make people who attend A&E drunk, pay for their treatment. The NHS is great but it means that these louts can just keep getting patched up every Friday night.

Schools here are totally segegated by class. We have Grammar schools in leafy suburbs, dominateed by the rich whose parents could pay for them to attend prep school to prepare for the test; private schools which are excellent if you can afford them; and comprehensives which are breeding grounds for criminals. No way would we let our darling girl go to one, so we pay £15,000 a year for her to go private. She loves it. It is worth the money and more to keep her away from the dreaded comprehensive - and I'm a teacher, I know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,927,200 times
It's true there are a lot of kids out of control in the UK, most are from one parent families who mostly live on handouts or two parents who have never held a job and also live on handouts. Teachers are unable to do their job because of litigation should they tap little Johnny on the shoulder these same people cry fowl and the teacher loses their job. The kids have no respect for anyone, even themselves, police trying to do a job in which their hands are tied by Govt. regulations. Govt. that allowed new drink laws knowing full well the UK has always had a problem with drink. The town i originate from has major problems Friday and Sat. nights hords of youth standing room only outside the pubs drinking and generally looking for trouble, half undressed girls falling about in the gutters...i didn't see any of this in the U.S.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom