Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,348 times

Advertisements

I agree..

syracuse.com : Desmond Tutu calls for George W. Bush, Tony Blair to face prosecution for invasion of Iraq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,158,006 times
When you read his original statement it says "face trial" not "face prosecution" but there you go.

I'd agree with there being an international investigation into the reasons behind it and a potential trial if that investigation felt it was warranted but I disagree that a "prosecution" (as you linked and agreed with) would be acceptable without some form of trial but there you go, we all have different views on things.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
When you read his original statement it says "face trial" not "face prosecution" but there you go.

I'd agree with there being an international investigation into the reasons behind it and a potential trial if that investigation felt it was warranted but I disagree that a "prosecution" (as you linked and agreed with) would be acceptable without some form of trial but there you go, we all have different views on things.

That's all very PC. These 2 sent their military to war on fabricated evidence, personal goals and a claim that we were at immediate and deadly risk. There were no WMDs and "regime change" has cost 100s of thousands of lives and trillions of taxpayer dollars. It has also created chaos and destabilization that will last generations.

They should both be in prison.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,158,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
That's all very PC. These 2 sent their military to war on fabricated evidence, personal goals and a claim that we were at immediate and deadly risk. There were no WMDs and "regime change" has cost 100s of thousands of lives and trillions of taxpayer dollars. It has also created chaos and destabilization that will last generations.

They should both be in prison.
I don't see what PC has to do with it, I just feel that before prosecuting or sentencing someone that a trial should be held. Without a form of judiciary process I can't see how you then decide who else was culpable (if anyone) and how to decide on sentencing. I'm not convinced that just because I believe someone is guilty that they then have no right to defence.

Like I said before though, we all have different views on things.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I don't see what PC has to do with it, I just feel that before prosecuting or sentencing someone that a trial should be held. Without a form of judiciary process I can't see how you then decide who else was culpable (if anyone) and how to decide on sentencing. I'm not convinced that just because I believe someone is guilty that they then have no right to defence.

Like I said before though, we all have different views on things.

Oh I totally agree with that - my post sounds like conviction without trial

Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
Good for Desmond Tutu. I would like to see a trial then prosecution but no doubt like all other enquiries of this type it would be a total whitewash. And cost tens of millions just to exonerate him.....

"The War" on terror was a sham from word go, the public knew it, the politicians knew it, the army knew it..... and look where it has led us... Billions in the red, hundreds of thousands dead, including some of our own men, the Middle East no nearer to stability, being mired in Afghanistan one way or another and all this because Bliar had said "how high?" when Bush asked him to jump. Like a well trained poodle. Pathetic.

The chap makes me want to retch every time I see him. I could not believe he became peace envoy to the Middle East... On what planet would this be right ?!? Lies, lies and more lies. And of course he has done very well out of his time in office growing richer on the back of all this. The whole thing turns my stomach.

Funny how Al Qaeda murdering scums are reviled and become the new boogeyman when people like him have far more blood on their hands.

The guy should be sent to Helmand without personal armour, protection of any sort, just dropped there in the middle of the night so he can experience the delights he has engendered through his ridiculous,self agrandissing policies.

Desmond Tutu was right to snub him and right to call him out. Someone needs to stand up for what is right. I would love to see Bliar stand for trial at the Hague like other murdering bastards.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,191 times
George Bush will go on trial right after Robert Mugabe and Jacob Zuma.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,218,362 times
There should be a serious investigation of these people and their inner circles for instigating a war that had such dubious justification(s). They certainly screwed the ME situation up enormously as a result.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
George Bush will go on trial right after Robert Mugabe and Jacob Zuma.

Great. Take this to the world forum.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,238,275 times
Quote:

Don't try to be clever - facing trial is facing prosecution, and the outcome of the trial determines whether or not the prosecution has been successful.

"The proceedings brought in the name of the Crown* to put an accused on trial" - Prosecution | Define Prosecution at Dictionary.com

*of course, this could also be a private individual, or the state prosecutor in countries where it is called that, or some other entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom