Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
So seems that there were plenty of complaints over the years, with police involved and nothing was ever done. This becomes less and less about dragging out the past of a dead man and more about the shocking lapses by authorities over the years and a culture of celebrity (very topical today) that allows people to bend and break the law. If the early cases had been handled properly and people hadn't turned a blind eye, none of the later girls would have been victims.

Jimmy Savile: police officers repeatedly failed sex victims - Telegraph

"Sir Jimmy Savile was investigated by police during a series of sex abuse inquiries spanning six decades – but each time he evaded justice.

...first investigated by police “for interfering with young girls” when a nightclub manager in Leeds as long ago as 1958.

...An inquiry into underage sex taking place in the Top of the Pops changing rooms in the late 1960s, according to the show’s then producer.

...allegation in 1971 that Savile was involved with a 15-year-old dancer on Top of the Pops, who committed suicide

...Claims that Savile was abusing patients at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in the late 1970s. John Lindsay, a detective constable at the time, reported the allegations – made by a nurse

...Scotland Yard said yesterday that the number of likely victims had reached 60 with 340 lines of inquiry pursued by 14 forces. The NSPCC has received more than 100 complaints.
Peter Watt, the head of the NSPCC’s helpline, said: “The number of incidents reported have reached treble figures making him a hugely prolific sex offender – one of the worst I’ve ever heard of.”"

it appears that police in the uk are very similar to the police in ireland

how willing they are to act often depends on who is complaining and more importantly , who is being complained about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I fear it'll all go away and be swept under the rug in due time..I can't for the life of me understand British law..How can a girl or boy at age 13 or 14 give consent to anything like sex? They can't comprehend the whole idea and can't even fathom reprocussions to many of their daily actions, let alone consent to sex with an old man. Still, I'm sure it happens all the time and all over the world, that people take advantage of their position.
And what does Clinton have to do with all this?
Maggie, not sure what you don't understand about British law. It is a criminal offence to engage in sexual activity with a person under the age of 16. That is a fact. Now, if your lack of understanding is how British institutions such as the police aand Crown Prosecution Service can fail to take action against scum bags, well, I'm with you on that one!

I agree that kids of 13 or 14 are to young to consent, particularly if it involves an older person, but different cultures have different ages for consent - France is 15 (according to what I understand from the recent teacher and pupil case) and in Spain it is, worryingly, 13.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I fear it'll all go away and be swept under the rug in due time..I can't for the life of me understand British law..How can a girl or boy at age 13 or 14 give consent to anything like sex? They can't comprehend the whole idea and can't even fathom reprocussions to many of their daily actions, let alone consent to sex with an old man. Still, I'm sure it happens all the time and all over the world, that people take advantage of their position.
And what does Clinton have to do with all this?

It probably won't go away, but the question remains as to whether they'll be able to amass any kind of actual evidence to support the claims.

Girls of 13 or 14 can't legally consent to sex.
As I said in a post earlier, if they're under 13 it's rape. Over 13, it does become incredibly complex, but the charge is "unlawful sex".
The onus is on the older partner to take responsibility.
In the case of, for example, two 14 year olds having sex, it's pretty complicated, but in this case, Savile was a grown man, so legal responsibility lay with him. If he thought the girls were underage, he should not have had sex.
There is also the added complication that if they "appeared old enough" then the perpetrator may not have known. Obviously with a 13 year old, we'd all probably know, but when you see some teenagers, it's very hard to tell, especially if they are all dolled up.
i'd imagine the prosecution would have to prove that the perp knew the victim was underage. Something which will be difficult if the perp is decomposing at trial.

As for laws, laws don't change as fast a society does, many laws the world over are outdated and not really fit for purpose.
For example, it's only within the last 20 years or so that it's become a crime for a man to have sex with his wife if she does not consent.
Prior to that, marital rape did not exist, and it was presumed that the ring on the finger meant that the man had the right to penetrate at any time he wanted.
For a first world country, you have to agree that's pretty barbaric.
In many states of the USA, marital rape is still not a crime.

We all know laws are outdated, hence all the little gems which crop up from time to time.
An MP may not wear armour in the Houses of Parliament, A taxi driver must ask passengers if they are suffering from plague or smallpox....................................

Often it takes a lot of lobbying, or a high profile case, maybe such as this one, to bring about a change in the law.
this may be the best obtainable scenario here, is that laws and procedures are changed to ensure that any similar cases from the time are fully investigated while any alleged offenders are alive, and steps put in place to ensure they never can happen again.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Your right Bob when you say a high profile case.. It makes me sad and angry, that when an MP is looking for votes and proclaiming what they ll do for the general public that abuse of kids in care etc is never mentioned.. for some reason they either dont think its important enough or some of the public shun away from this sort of taboo subject... good post Bob.. Savile used his position on TV to lure kids into his web, being seen as some kind of saintly uncle.. sick old perv..

Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 AM

Latest on the Savile Sleaze is that police were paid off by him to keep quiet.. and some allegations that he had keys to the morgue in the hospital where he worked as a volunteer, it seems everthing this evil man did was for his own gain and purpose..How low did this man go.... http://www.tntmagazine.com/news/uk/s...sits-to-morgue

Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 AM

670 posts, read 905,600 times
I suppose it won't come as a surprise that he molested family members too.

Jimmy Savile: How Savile even abused his own sister's grandchild: His great niece reveals the scandal's most sickening twist yet - and how he bribed his sister to cover it up | Mail Online

Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 AM

would be funny if not so serious a subject... Savile had a book out in 1985 and wait for it..... Stranger Danger..with Benjamin Rabbit telling kids not to go with strangers... of course Jimmy must have seen himself as a dirty old uncle or friend.....for sale on ebay just now. Savile also bragged of his association with the IRA and how they would pass judgement on anyone who stepped on his toes.. nice friends.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Freddie Starr has been arrested.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Freddie Starr has been arrested.
Rumour has it that he won't be the last. There are a few 'sweeps' going around on who will be next. My money is on DLT.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM

170 posts, read 198,947 times
My blood boils when they keep showing him prancing around with his cigar.

It's all a load of hypocrisy really because the top stars of that era were all doing the same thing, one of the Stones married a girl he had since she was 13...and he got knighted I think. I suppose the worse of Savile is that he used charities and hospitals to prey upon the most vulnerable. Heyy not all of those girls were innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom