Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I actually like EastEnders, but don't watch it very often anymore, and I used to hate it.

Hollyoaks is another secret pleasure of mine - I am ultra snobby about X-Factor, I'm a Celeb, Britain's Got Talent, Dancing on Ice etc yet I actually like watching Hollyoaks. I used to despise this show - but as the acting has gotten progressively worse, I have started to like it!

I think Coronation Street and Emmerdale are rubbish. At the end of the day, I still prefer a good David Attenborough documentary.
Finally a rational opinion. Seems like whenever you criticize anything British, someone comes along with a knee-jerk "at least it's not American!" reaction **** is still ****. What I don't like about Attenborough's documentaries is that he always pushes an opinion at the end of each of his documentaries. I say let the viewer come to their own conclusions instead of peddling something. I swear, ALL of his documentaries always end along the lines of humans being a virus that needs to be cured, hence hwy I don't watch nature documentaries anymore, especially ones narrated by him.

Oh yeah, I forgot Only Fools and Horses is the best show on Earth. Nothing tops it, Kath & Kim come a very close 2nd but that's it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
I'd rather watch the drama gems that the UK makes tons of. Luther, the shadow line, hunted, good cop, top boy etc.

And I agree wholeheartedly that only fools and horses is amazing! Father Ted, I.T. crowd, black books and spaced are some other class comedies.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Television as a whole is poor wherever you live. I've never gotten 'into' the 3 shows mentioned. They're OK I guess, and entertaining for some people but pretty cheaply made. I would go for Easteneers if I had too, probably because I always lived a lot closer to London.

As for the muppet who had to start trashing 'American' shows: try Sopranos, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, West Wing, The Wire, Newsroom, Boston Legal, Dexter, Breaking Bad and I could go on. In fact, anything on HBO is more than likely a well produced show. But I guess if Only Fools and Horses is your thing.. knock yourself out.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
I had ago at American soap operas you muppet! and all soap operas in general, I love boardwalk empire, homeland, The Wire, Newsroom etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Finally a rational opinion. Seems like whenever you criticize anything British, someone comes along with a knee-jerk "at least it's not American!" reaction **** is still ****. What I don't like about Attenborough's documentaries is that he always pushes an opinion at the end of each of his documentaries. I say let the viewer come to their own conclusions instead of peddling something. I swear, ALL of his documentaries always end along the lines of humans being a virus that needs to be cured, hence hwy I don't watch nature documentaries anymore, especially ones narrated by him.

Oh yeah, I forgot Only Fools and Horses is the best show on Earth. Nothing tops it, Kath & Kim come a very close 2nd but that's it
I hate Only Fools and Horses. I think it probably the worst thing man kind has ever invented, narrowly beating the atomic bomb.

My favourite TV show right now is probably the US series Arrested Development, followed by Surbgatory.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
I hate Only Fools and Horses. I think it probably the worst thing man kind has ever invented, narrowly beating the atomic bomb.

My favourite TV show right now is probably the US series Arrested Development, followed by Surbgatory.
Arrested Development is great. I've heard that another season is in the way?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM

No idea - but I sure hope so. Only discovered it recently, and it's a shame no new shows have been aired since 2006.

You're in the US, so if there is a new series, you'll see it first.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:

Do you get ad breaks every 5 minutes when you watch US shows? I can't stand watching American TV anymore especially after British TV for 5 months, the commercials annoy the hell out of me

Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 AM

Never really kept track before, but I think after the show firsts start, there will be an add break around 10 - 14 minutes later.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
I don't watch enough American TV to be able to answer, but I think hour-long British shows generally have three advert breaks now as opposed to two until about 5-10 years ago. When I was a teenager I used to like WWF though () and a two-hour show in the US would last an hour and 50 minutes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom