Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
That's why most of Europe is in decline. The more unbiblical and unGodly a nation turns into, the more problems and issues will be caused.
You have got to be kidding.. the most religious nations in Europe, such as Greece and Spain, are up sh*t creek, while secular Norway is prospering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
As I said before fox news spreads lies and slander, it is hilarious to watch sometimes because it is that comical but I wouldn't believe a word. One of the comments on this video was -

" Fox news................turning America into paranoid schitzophrenics.....one citizen at a time.... "

I agree lol.

Fox and Friends Ignorance exposed regarding coca and cocain. Dumb americans? - YouTube

Fox News Bill Oreilly Gets Owned by Jim Fetzer !! - YouTube

And that Bill o' Reily makes my blood boil every time I hear him ignorant pri*k.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM

554 posts, read 736,370 times
Quote:
That's why most of Europe is in decline. The more unbiblical and unGodly a nation turns into, the more problems and issues will be caused.

At least in the UK they celebrate all Christian holidays in the public, including Good Friday and Easter Monday with no controversies as we have here in the U.S.
I'm an atheist but I'm not interested in criticising religious people or religion except where it's called for. I've been through that phase of angst. However your claim that the less religious a nation is, the more problems it will face is completely unsubstantiated and contrary to the facts. Social studies repeatedly show a correlation between religiousness and social problems, and on the contrary, between irreligiousness and fewer social problems. I'm not saying (and nor do the studies say) that religion is the fundamental cause of these social problems (although I'm sure we can all identify several it directly causes.) What seems intuitively likely is that increased religiosity is the result of social problems.

If you have a mis-carriage, or otherwise lose someone close to you in dreadful circumstances, you are on the highway to religion. Which developed country has the highest infant mortality and murder rate in the developed world? I don't need to tell you.

If you suffer from a serious a medical condition, and as a result are in great mental or physical pain without sufficient recourse to medical treatment, again you're on the highway to religion. I don't need to tell you which developed country has the greatest proportion of its population in this situation.

If you find yourself at the bottom of the social ladder with little opportunity to advance yourself monetarily, you're on the highway to religion. I don't need to tell you which country has the lowest social mobility in the developed world.

If you find yourself and your family being evicted from your home and effectively homeless, in need of the charity of others in the absence of adequate Government support, then you're on the highway to religion. Which developed country has the highest proportion of its population in this situation, and the least comprehensive Government support? I don't need to tell you.

Social problems such as the above and others like them increase the 'pressure' on society to become more religious. By contrast, if you live in a country with lower infant mortality, lower homicide rates, more comprehensive medial coverage, higher social mobility, more regulated housing markets and greater Government support for those in need, then there is less overall pressure driving the population to religion.

If you're a 'serious' Christian, then none of the above should be a surprise to you. Matthew 5:3, "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Or, Matthew 19:24, "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Clearly the early Christians saw the correlation between poverty and religion as clearly as I do, and if you want to believe that Jesus actually said these things, then by your own convictions you must accept them.

I spent the first 18 years of my life at religious schools being indoctrinated up to my eyeballs. The downside of this indoctrination was that it wasted time myself and fellow pupils could have been learning much more useful secular subjects. However the upside is that I can now ask you, where does it say in the bible that a lack of a religion leads to social problems? I can ask you this, because I know for sure that it doesn't say anything along these lines anywhere in the bible. Indeed if you look at the story of Job, God goes out of his way to test his followers with trials in their lives. The very notion that Christianity prevents problems is ludicrous by secular science, but if you purport to believe in the religion you say you do - it's a complete nonsense by your own standards as well!

Eoin

Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You have got to be kidding.. the most religious nations in Europe, such as Greece and Spain, are up sh*t creek, while secular Norway is prospering.
Regards to Southern Europe, their main issue is that their people don't work, and would rather party all the time. God does help people, but gives everybody a free will. Unfortunately, Southern Europeans love their fiesta. Religion has nothing to do with it. BTW many Spanish people are cultural Christians now.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM

You fell into my trap.. thanks for contradicting yourself.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Regards to Southern Europe, their main issue is that their people don't work, and would rather party all the time. God does help people, but gives everybody a free will. Unfortunately, Southern Europeans love their fiesta. Religion has nothing to do with it. BTW many Spanish people are cultural Christians now.
You just had a thread closed over on the atheism forum because of your constant and incredibly boring - propaganda. Most Brits and most Europeans are just not that interested in religion. But, if we are interested, we know where to find it on the BBC and we definitely do not need your help. In the meantime, why don't you go onto the christianity forum where you may find like minded people and leave the rest of us to argue about important things like Ireland, football, which is the best pub on Byres Rd. (that is for Eoin) or whether Kate Middleton is going to have a girl or a boy.

Hope you have a very happy holiday.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You just had a thread closed over on the atheism forum because of your constant and incredibly boring - propaganda. Most Brits and most Europeans are just not that interested in religion. But, if we are interested, we know where to find it on the BBC and we definitely do not need your help. In the meantime, why don't you go onto the christianity forum where you may find like minded people and leave the rest of us to argue about important things like Ireland, football, which is the best pub on Byres Rd. (that is for Eoin) or whether Kate Middleton is going to have a girl or a boy.

Well since Curler's is now effectively a soulless chain pub then its got to be the Oran Mor, particularly so given that it's regularly open till 3am. You're always guaranteed some banter given the wide age-range and mix of people who end up in there!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

The thread on the atheism forum was closed because I reported those who posted off topic and anti-Christian posts.

Us majority of Americans who are religious still enjoy life and do things normally, but have Christ in our heart.
Anyone who disagree with Christ do not believe in peace, love, and forgiveness.

Merry Christmas...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Happy Holidays from a godless heathen!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Oh sorry I've got you completely wrong! I thought you meant that you followed Jesus of Nazareth, but instead you meant Supply Side Jesus!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom