Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 AM

703 posts, read 446,528 times

Advertisements

When shops started opening on Sundays staff were told that it would be optional and that no one would be forced to work on that day.
I often wonder if it panned out like that and could a person now expect to get a job in a large shop on the basis of no Sunday work?
Personally I don't see the point of it. It's just another slice of our life consumed by competing businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
My experience of this centres around our daughter.

When she had a part time job for John Lewis she did have an option, but did not for a fashion chain that she subsequently moved to.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
I went to the shops once on a Sunday just to see what it is all about and bought some things but is not for me. No need for it.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Yes its great. Shops should not be closed in sunday especially in malls. Nothing to do on a sunday.

Right now hours are like 1-8 at best. I think thats really stupid hours.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM

352 posts, read 416,369 times
I think Sunday trading hours should be longer than six hours but that is just my own preference.

Nowadays with large and small chains closing left, right and centre due in part to people shopping online, and with a bad unemployment situation, plus the triple dip recession upcoming I think Sunday opening is a good thing. Yes, also there is the 'family day out' aspect to it even if nothing or very little is purchased. The shop workers most likely get a day off in the week which is always handy to do things that can't be done at weekends (appointments, etc).

Also it gives employment and much needed cash to part-time students to supplement their grants. If a devout Christian would prefer Sunday to be their non-working day they have the choice of mentioning that at the interview stage.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM

703 posts, read 446,528 times
My point is, do shop workers now face compulsory Sunday working rather than having the option which was the understanding at the beginning as I remember? And even if they do have the option what's to stop an employer from selecting the willing job applicants?
Personally I think Sunday opening is a bad trend, because when all the shops are open everyone's on the same level playing field they were on when they opened 6 days.
They've done the same with Christmas. All the main shops are open up to Christmas Eve and first thing Boxing Day. Christmas Day opening is creeping in and big businesses won't stop until they've completely hijacked that as well. In fact, Christmas Day is beginning to feel like a mild hindrance by interrupting the relentless Christmas shopping spree.
What next, all night working? (optional you understand). Mind you if it comes to that, they won't be able to increase the opening times any further because there will be no more hours left !!

Last edited by geoff956; 02-17-2013 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: error

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
I spend about half of my life in each of two locations.

In one, there is (practically - the baker is open for 2 hours in the morning) no Sunday opening.

In the other, there is no Sunday closing.

In one, there are extra staff to cover 24 hour a day 7 day a week (in some cases) opening.

In the other, everybody gets a day off on Sunday and the wages bill is (presumably) lower.

The fact that a shop is open on a Sunday doesn't mean that I will buy any more than I would have bought if the shops were only open Mon - Sat, so whether or not a shop opens on Sunday will have no effect on the amount I spend.

How much do you want to pay for the 'convenience' of having shops open on Sunday? If shops are open on Sunday you will pay - whether you use them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom