Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times

Advertisements

Peep Show (up to about series 5) - closely observed and quite interestingly shot sitcom about two flatmates (original!). You get to hear their 'inner monologues', which can be quite insightful/disgusting.

The Thick of It - entertaining Westminster comedy, pleasingly amoral and ultra-profane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I just discovered "Call the Midwife" and I really enjoy it. Vanessa Redgrave narrates it. The acting is very good, the stories are a quirky, poignant mix, and the feel of the miniseries is unique and a bit artsy.

The time frame (late 1950s) is one that's not that common for a miniseries, so I'm also enjoying the music, fashions, and cityscapes in the series. It's set in London's East End and it seems to be brutally honest about the living conditions, including the mounds of rubble still left from the war, the poverty, the harshness of life - but also the zest for life and the toughness of the human spirit.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
I did a little happy dance a couple of weeks ago when I discovered all four series of Black Adder are now on Netflix!
"I have a plan...a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox."

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just discovered "Call the Midwife" and I really enjoy it. Vanessa Redgrave narrates it. The acting is very good, the stories are a quirky, poignant mix, and the feel of the miniseries is unique and a bit artsy.

The time frame (late 1950s) is one that's not that common for a miniseries, so I'm also enjoying the music, fashions, and cityscapes in the series. It's set in London's East End and it seems to be brutally honest about the living conditions, including the mounds of rubble still left from the war, the poverty, the harshness of life - but also the zest for life and the toughness of the human spirit.
I just watched the most recent episode. I think it's the last for this season, or maybe the final of the series?
I agree that it's so realistic and well done.

I don't want it to be finished. . but it will end sometime, as the events are taken from memoirs. Unless someone begins to write similar events which obviously wouldn't have the same veracity.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,781 times
Downton abbey

Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
If you like Downton, you should check out Upstairs, Downstairs. It ran for 5 series starting in 1971 and is a great little show. I was actually blown away by some of the characters and topics that they introduced in that show, especially for its time. It's addicting.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"I have a plan...a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox."
Tony Robinson played the character Baldrick, who is being quoted above. He is active in politics and has done some documentaries. I recommend "Britain's Real Monarch" first shown on 3 January 2004.

The legitimacy of several British monarchs has been open to considerable debate in the past. The claim that King Edward IV was illegitimate is one of the strongest in history. In a very entertaining way, Tony traces the alternative line to the present day to King Michael, who lives in a small home in Australia. Michael has no inherited money left, but he still has the title of 14th Earl of Loudon. In the USA, Loudon county is a suburban county of Washington DC, and is the home of Dulles Airport.

The documentary also sheds light on the difficulty of maintaining family wealth over a period of 6 centuries through all the political turmoil. As such it would dovetail with some of the themes in Downton Abbey.

The oldest monied family in the USA is the Astor family who emigrated in the 1780's. In the alternate succession to the British throne, that would be about the time of Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings, who fought in the American war of Independence (for the British) and was 17th out of 28 people in the alternate line.

I don't know if they will put it on Netflix, but you can find it on youtube.

As a side note, Queen Elizabeth II is monarch because of her descent from George I who became king in 1714. Her legitimacy is established by Parliamentary Law in 1701. Anything that happened in history prior to that date is now considered irrelevant. Rumors of illegitimacy have always been rampant regarding royal bloodlines. Mostly because legitimacy is so important to the institution. Prince Harry probably gets the worst of it today, mostly because he has red hair, and Diana's lover for 5 years in her self confessed extra-marital affair also had red hair. Former cavalry officer James Hewitt had denied he was Prince Harry's father, saying that the affair began when Harry was already a toddler.

The line of descent governed by law goes back to the 17th century governed by the Act of Succession of 1701.
Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom
George VI
George V of the United Kingdom
Edward VII of the United Kingdom
Victoria I of the United Kingdom
Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (died before becoming King)
George III of the United Kingdom
Frederick, Prince of Wales (died before becoming King)
George II of Great Britain
George I of Great Britain
Sophie of Hanover (died before becoming Queen)

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-24-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Not to be picky, but though I love Baldrick, he's not clever enough for that quote!

I believe Blackadder said it, and I believe I misquoted it - I think it's "I have a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel."

Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Doc Martin and Reggie Perrin - Martin Clunes stars in both

Sherlock - Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman

We've also been watching a lot of British movies on netflix.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,546,389 times
eastenders (only british soap that has

the Geico Gecko voice aka actor Jake Wood on a soap opera

Last edited by billiefan2000; 05-26-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom