Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times

Advertisements

Could someone explain how they work? With children? With youth? What are the expectations? What are the limits? In some parts of the United States, laws differ a bit. For instance when I lived in Arizona, children were allowed in bars. In California and Oregon they are not. Children are never allowed to drink in an establishment under 21. Some states allow parents to provide supervised alcohol to their own children, but it is becoming increasingly frowned upon. Adults do not provide alcohol for non family under age measures. The culture here is pretty rigid on the idea of drinking and youth; where it can happen, with whom, and when. How is the culture about it? Is it accepting? Disapproving, Limited? I'd like to hear about how drinking culture works with children and young adults in the United Kingdom if anyone would care to take a moment to explain to me, I'd very interested and in your debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:47 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
When I was a teenager in New Jersey there was never a shortage of alcohol.

Most teenagers here drink occasionally in pubs before 18, although the American habit of asking for ID is becoming more common. There is often a sprinkling of cans and bottles in the local park as supermarket booze is so cheap. More upmarket pubs are sometime over 21s only, but most food pubs allow children.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:51 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
With all due respect, access to alcohol isn't really the topic. Of course there is alcohol available.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Where to start...

OK, the legal age to purchase alcohol is 18 (from a store or in a pub/bar). Kids under 18 are allowed in to pubs/bars at the landlords discretion (they might need to apply for a licence not sure on that but most places allow) and can consume non alcoholic beverages and eat food. 16 & 17 year olds can legally drink alcohol (beer, wine, cider but not spirits) in a bar/restaurant if accompanied by an adult and eating a meal.

Children over the age of 5 can consume alcohol in a private place (e.g. home). The under 5's need a note from the doctor to confirm it is medically advantageous!

Individual establishments can set a higher age limit if they chose (e.g. some clubs only admit people 21 or over).

Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Its legal to drink alcohol at 18. But if you want it, it will not be hard to get. I know loads of 14/15/16 year olds who drink. I do not drink alcohol as it is an addictive disgusting poison. I general there are two sides - those who accept underage and those who don't. I do not and I think the age should be raised. Its a poison that is dangerous and causes alot of deaths. Out with it!

This country is far too Liberal.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:46 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The only thing I haven't liked when I've been to England was the widespread drinking. People staggering around drunk during the day time, people going to visit someone just to have drinks, drinking was so important. I do like the idea of the pubs where people can gather and I wish we had that sort of thing over here. So the OP's question interests me too. So much emphasis on the drinking culture.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Its legal to drink alcohol at 18. But if you want it, it will not be hard to get. I know loads of 14/15/16 year olds who drink. I do not drink alcohol as it is an addictive disgusting poison. I general there are two sides - those who accept underage and those who don't. I do not and I think the age should be raised. Its a poison that is dangerous and causes alot of deaths. Out with it!

This country is far too Liberal.
What?!? Lol! I'm sure once you are actually old enough to legally drink Owen you will change your mind

Having the odd alcoholic beverage does not make you an alcoholic, it's not like heroin where after your first 'shot' you will be addicted lol!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Or maybe I will not. Nothing wrong with not drinking!!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Where to start...

OK, the legal age to purchase alcohol is 18 (from a store or in a pub/bar). Kids under 18 are allowed in to pubs/bars at the landlords discretion (they might need to apply for a licence not sure on that but most places allow) and can consume non alcoholic beverages and eat food. 16 & 17 year olds can legally drink alcohol (beer, wine, cider but not spirits) in a bar/restaurant if accompanied by an adult and eating a meal.

Children over the age of 5 can consume alcohol in a private place (e.g. home). The under 5's need a note from the doctor to confirm it is medically advantageous!

Individual establishments can set a higher age limit if they chose (e.g. some clubs only admit people 21 or over).
That covers it pretty well - I would only add that I think in order for children above 5 to consume alcohol at home, they need their parent's permission/adult supervision.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That covers it pretty well - I would only add that I think in order for children above 5 to consume alcohol at home, they need their parent's permission/adult supervision.
And a straw!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom