Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,977 times

Advertisements

Because you are from Northern Ireland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
A yea and we are talking about Northern Ireland!!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM

554 posts, read 736,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well each and every person that I know who supports rangers supports rangers for sectarian reasons.
In fairness you live in Northern Ireland, in Scotland you'd find that to be much less true. I've stopped really caring about football apart from the national side, but while I was growing up I was (and I suppose if pushed into supporting a club team) still am a Rangers supporter. My mum is from Dublin and I was brought up as a Catholic, albeit now I'm an outright atheist. I supported Rangers because as a child the friends I played with who lived on the same street supported Rangers. Now you can claim to know at least one person who support(ed) Rangers for reasons other than sectarianism.

There are people with sectarian views in and around Glasgow, but they're the exception - not the rule.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Religion in Scotland is not an issue. The vast majority of Scots - whether they come from a catholic tradition or a protestant tradition - cannot be bothered with religion. Church is a place they go for christenings, wedding and funerals and that is about it.

There are more issues around religion in the USA than there are in Scotland.

nonsense , catholics are not prejudiced against in the usa and have not been for close to a hundred years in most cases , entirely different story in Scotland , that most scots are not as into reading their bible or going to church as americans is beside the point

Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
In fairness you live in Northern Ireland, in Scotland you'd find that to be much less true. I've stopped really caring about football apart from the national side, but while I was growing up I was (and I suppose if pushed into supporting a club team) still am a Rangers supporter. My mum is from Dublin and I was brought up as a Catholic, albeit now I'm an outright atheist. I supported Rangers because as a child the friends I played with who lived on the same street supported Rangers. Now you can claim to know at least one person who support(ed) Rangers for reasons other than sectarianism.

There are people with sectarian views in and around Glasgow, but they're the exception - not the rule.

I want to point out that I couldn't really care less about celtic fc , I support arsenal

back to the main point in hand

I think a journalist at slugger o tooles blog put it best

" loyalists are grieving for a lost sense of supremacism "

unlike the vast majority of british people , they still live in a bubble where empire exists and the lower orders must be reminded of their place

Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
As someone who is actually born and bread in Northern Ireland, I would just say that people here are brainwashed with propaganda and bitterness. I really don't know what causes people to be so bitter? Maybe trauma from a death or resentment? In Northern Ireland it is just an everyday thing so they don't see how it is.

I personally find it mortifyingly embaressing. But there is nothing you can do. There is no talking to people like that- they are set in their views and nobody will change that.

Don't get the wrong image of us because it is only really in Belfast were the riots occur. Me, I take a very neutral stance on it. I don't care. I am a catholic (unionist) and I will marry a protestant goto a protestant church, convert whatever without a care in the world. We really are so close that it is quite daft. If someone has problems with me because of my religion then stuff them, I have no time for that Caliber of people. I don't care what they think anymore. I just walk by them thinking "what fools you are".

The people here are actually beginning to get on my nerves. You can't go one minute without religion coming up and it's like "shut the hell up!"
Good man Mac - if only others were as level headed as you then Northern Ireland would become the paradise it has the potential to be.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Good man Mac - if only others were as level headed as you then Northern Ireland would become the paradise it has the potential to be.

paradise

the only part of the uk with worse weather is Scotland

Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
paradise

I didn't really mean the weather lol - like Scotland its a beautiful part of the world in many other ways though.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post

Same for me. Where I grew up (just down the hill from where Eoin stays) we all supported Rangers. It was just the way it was and wholly non-religious. In fact, my parents were English, non-religious and from different religious traditions than most Scots.

Scotland is not Northern Ireland and Glasgow is not Belfast. It would be worth bearing that in mind when you are trotting out the stereotypes.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
paradise

That's a bit of a generalization.
There are parts of the West coast of Scotland that have a far better climate than, say, the NE of England, and actually, the climate in the lowland coastal areas of NI are no worse than some of England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom