Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've always imagined Catholics to be bigger traditionalists than Protestants.
For sure. You've got to figure the latter only started with Martin and Henry getting mad at the Pope. The former goes back all the way to celebrating Christmas and the Resurrection and the Annunciation and enjoying those other 'feast' days big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Europe at least it seems the traditionally Protestant countries like the UK, Netherlands, Germany (the least religious parts like the north are Protestant), and Scandinavia tend to be the least religious. Aside from maybe France and Belgium. I wonder why this is the case? I think it's because Catholicism has more traditions, and Catholics are at least superficially more faithful and less likely to identify as atheist or non-religious.
It's because they don't really have as much of a belief in 'church' itself. For alot of them believing in god is enough.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Wrong.

no its not wrong , name one even slightly liberal unionist political party which has a significant presence , the DUP are far more conservative than any political party on the island of Ireland and a sizeable percentage of the protestant population of northern Ireland are bible literalists who wish to see creationism taught along science in school

Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've always imagined Catholics to be bigger traditionalists than Protestants.

within the European context , catholic countries are more conservative though not remarkably so , in the united states however , the overwhelmingly protestant south is much more conservative than the significantly catholic north east or mid west

due to the disparate nature of Protestantism ( no central authority ) , protestants tend to be more liberal than catholics but on the other hand , the most conservative of Christian denominations are also protestant , ian paisleys free Presbyterian church are bible literalits and do not believe in evolution , the Vatican accepted evolution some time ago , some people like to label the catholic church as being dictatorial due to the role of the pope but Protestantism while possitve from an independent thought POV is pretty anarchic aswell

Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
no its not wrong , name one even slightly liberal unionist political party which has a significant presence , the DUP are far more conservative than any political party on the island of Ireland and a sizeable percentage of the protestant population of northern Ireland are bible literalists who wish to see creationism taught along science in school
Since I live in a protestant area I know the church attendance rate. You don't.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Since I live in a protestant area I know the church attendance rate. You don't.

stop being so parochial for a minute and consider the broader picture , which political parties in northern Ireland are more religious in tone , unionist or nationalist ones ? , political parties only represent the people who vote for them

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM

But it's not about being religious it's about how often they practise. They do not practise religion very often.

For most of them their religion is just a cultural identity, they do not actually goto church.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
But it's not about being religious it's about how often they practise. They do not practise religion very often.

For most of them their religion is just a cultural identity, they do not actually goto church.

whatever , their is plenty of evidence to support my conclusion , protestants in northern Ireland are in the main , far more religious and conservative than their cousins across the water

Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Ok whatever you think.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Where I live in the United States, there are many denominations, people go to church more often than they do in Northern Ireland and yet there is no sectarian conflict. Unlike the UK and the rest of Europe, most people don't think the best religion is no religion or the best church is a closed church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom