Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times

Advertisements

Huge props if this was an intentional joke.... (I can't tell from your location, whether it's an incidental faux pas, I really hope it isn't, because it's a thing of beauty).

RROTFLMAO.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM

21 posts, read 33,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Huge props if this was an intentional joke.... (I can't tell from your location, whether it's an incidental faux pas, I really hope it isn't, because it's a thing of beauty).

RROTFLMAO.
Okay here is the big difference, I played prop at 290 LB and 6' 3".
Now here is the big difference between the two sports, in the forwards in union you do not get a rest when the ball goes to ground you are either hitting the next ruck, carting the ball forward, lifting in a lineout or getting black spots in front of your eyes from the effort needed in a scrum.
Now tell me how many 500LB NFL players could play non stop for forty minutes then a ten minute break and another forty minutes ?
And in union we only have eight replacements which means one of the props needs to play the whole game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Name one single 500lb NFL player.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temata66 View Post
Now tell me how many 500LB NFL players could play non stop for forty minutes then a ten minute break and another forty minutes ?
That's like asking for Ursain Bolt's time for the Marathon. Since he's probably never run a Marathon then it's meaningless. It's not even apples and oranges, it's an apples and goats comparison. It also says nothing whatsoever about Bolts athleticism, just because he only spends 10 seconds (hopefully less) competing in his event, doesn't mean that he isn't at the peak of athletic shape for his event, and it doesn't mean that Geoffrey Mutai is more athletic than Bolt is because he spends around 2 hours and 8 minutes competing in his event. However the one thing in common is that at the end of both their events, they're probably completely knackered.

Football is football, Rugby is rugby. They are not the same game, and similarities are purely coincidental. Basically there are three things about both that are common, they use a ball that is an prolate spheroid, they have two teams and there is contact tackling. Pretty much everything else is different. Indeed two specific things are fouls in Rugby that are at the heart of Football, which is blocking, and the forward pass.

If you think they're still the same game, then here are some questions...

How many downs do you have to get 10 yards in Rugby?
How many points do you score for a touchdown in Rugby?
How far apart must the offensive and defensive lines be before the snap in Rugby?
How many offensive players minimum must line up on the line of scrimmage in Rugby?
In Rugby, what is the difference between offside and encroachment?
How many yards from the line of scrimmage can a defensive player maintain contact with an offensive player without causing a foul?
Under what conditions can a team retain possession after a punt in Rugby?
What are the penalty yardage given for the two following fouls, Running into the kicker? and roughing the kicker? What is the difference between the two in Rugby?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temata66 View Post
Okay here is the big difference, I played prop at 290 LB and 6' 3".
Now here is the big difference between the two sports, in the forwards in union you do not get a rest when the ball goes to ground you are either hitting the next ruck, carting the ball forward, lifting in a lineout or getting black spots in front of your eyes from the effort needed in a scrum.
And in union we only have eight replacements which means one of the props needs to play the whole game.
If there were any 500 lb NFL players you might have a point.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think a London NFL team would be a great idea but it may be difficult to fill the roster with quality free agents given the obvious downsides of a team playing in Europe. I would propose that they conscript some of the Brits to fill out the roster to add to the local appeal. Shouldn't be any problem finding kickers at any rate.
I don't. I hate that idea. I used to like the NFL in London but I find it not entertaining. Goodell needs to put an end to the NFL London Games.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:55 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
I don't mind regular season games over there, but putting a franchise over there is a terrible idea. If they're going to put a team on an island far away from the contiguous 48 let it be Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom