Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:02 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That is why I said 'some'. And, for the most part, catholic schools in Scotland are public and not private. Some of them are very good and some not so good. Just like the non-denominational schools.
No idea what the schools are like now since we are retired and kids are well grown. I get the impression they are still pretty good in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:19 PM

347 posts, read 491,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Due to the discrimination against Catholics and the Irish in the UK for so long, do you think that to this day, people of Catholic background and Irish ancestry tend to be more likely to be in poverty than people who are of Protestant or British background? Or is there not really any legacy left over economically speaking?
REALLY, what is this all about...Here in America CHRISTIANS in general are hated by everyone...LOVE OF MONEY is taking over...

Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Due to the discrimination against Catholics and the Irish in the UK for so long, do you think that to this day, people of Catholic background and Irish ancestry tend to be more likely to be in poverty than people who are of Protestant or British background? Or is there not really any legacy left over economically speaking?
The Kennedy family. 'Nuff said.....

Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM

347 posts, read 491,898 times
Is it because Catholic is more of an Italian thing and Many in ENGLAND believe in Church of England?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:43 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Is it because Catholic is more of an Italian thing and Many in ENGLAND believe in Church of England?
What has Italy got to do with this question? This is about Irish and British catholics, not Italians. The Republic of Ireland is almost totally catholic.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Does anyone really think that if Kate Middleton had been Catholic that the Brits wouldn't change the law to allow Prince George to eventually become king whether he was Anglican or Catholic?
It's an interesting question, because the monarch is the head of the Church of England. If Kate had been Roman Catholic, she and William would have had to swear to the Roman Catholic Church that their kids would be raised Roman Catholic - which would have put a wrinkle in things, that's for sure. Last time I checked, one can't be Roman Catholic AND head of the Church of England.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's an interesting question, because the monarch is the head of the Church of England. If Kate had been Roman Catholic, she and William would have had to swear to the Roman Catholic Church that their kids would be raised Roman Catholic - which would have put a wrinkle in things, that's for sure. Last time I checked, one can't be Roman Catholic AND head of the Church of England.
I married a Roman Catholic (actually two …. but one at a time). For the first, I never promised anything regarding my kids and the guy at the registry office didn't make me. For the second, the Anglican minister who married us didn't mention the RCs. An ecclesiastical version of 'don't ask don't tell'.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
I married a Roman Catholic (actually two …. but one at a time). For the first, I never promised anything regarding my kids and the guy at the registry office didn't make me. For the second, the Anglican minister who married us didn't mention the RCs. An ecclesiastical version of 'don't ask don't tell'.
Interesting. But as the non Catholic in the marriage, it would not be up to YOU to make this vow before the Church. It would be up to the Roman Catholic spouse. And if you weren't married in the RC Church then of course it wouldn't have been an issue - for you. However, it would have been more problematic for the RC spouse, if they intended to remain a practicing Catholic with a marriage that is officially recognized by the Church.

Quote:
Requirements

"The Catholic party to a mixed marriage is required to declare his
(her) intention of continuing practice of the Catholic faith and
to promise to do all in his (her) power to share his (her) faith
with the children born of the marriage by having them baptized and
raised as Catholics. No declarations or promises are required of
the non-Catholic party, but he (she) must be informed of the
declaration and promise made by the Catholic.

"Notice of the Catholic's declaration and promise is an essential
part of the application made to a bishop for (1) permission to
marry a baptized non-Catholic or (2) a dispensation to marry an
unbaptized non-Catholic.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/MIXED.TXT

Quote:
8. When a Catholic marries a non-Catholic, must the non-Catholic promise to raise the children in the Catholic faith?

The non-Catholic spouse does not have to promise to have the children raised Catholic. The Catholic spouse must promise to do all that he or she can to have the children baptized and raised in the Catholic faith.
USCCB - (FLWY) - Frequently Asked Questions about Marriage

(By the way, if you were married by an Anglican minister, of course he wouldn't have said anything about the RC Church - that marriage wouldn't be blessed by the RCC, not that it matters to some couples.)

I'm not arguing for or against these standards. All I'm saying is that if a Roman Catholic spouse is supposed to do all he/she can to raise their children in the RC faith that would put a future monarch in an odd position.

I stated this incorrectly in my first statement - in Kate and William's case, William wouldn't have had to make that vow before the church to raise the children as Catholic - but Kate would have had to make that vow to the RCC in order for her marriage to be recognized as valid by the RCC.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. But as the non Catholic in the marriage, it would not be up to YOU to make this vow before the Church. It would be up to the Roman Catholic spouse. And if you weren't married in the RC Church then of course it wouldn't have been an issue - for you. However, it would have been more problematic for the RC spouse, if they intended to remain a practicing Catholic with a marriage that is officially recognized by the Church.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/MIXED.TXT

USCCB - (FLWY) - Frequently Asked Questions about Marriage

(By the way, if you were married by an Anglican minister, of course he wouldn't have said anything about the RC Church - that marriage wouldn't be blessed by the RCC, not that it matters to some couples.)

I'm not arguing for or against these standards. All I'm saying is that if a Roman Catholic spouse is supposed to do all he/she can to raise their children in the RC faith that would put a future monarch in an odd position.

I stated this incorrectly in my first statement - in Kate and William's case, William wouldn't have had to make that vow before the church to raise the children as Catholic - but Kate would have had to make that vow to the RCC in order for her marriage to be recognized as valid by the RCC.
Well, I am proud to say that I managed to raise both my kids to be non-religious

Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
The vast majority of Rangers supporters are not rabidly anti-catholic just as most celtic supporters are not pro-IRA.

One needs to be wary of stereotypes and media hype.

being ( PRO IRA ) is not the opposite of being anti catholic to start with , most people don't understand the conditions which gave rise to the IRA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom