Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM

138 posts, read 451,744 times

Advertisements

Just a curious question. Do those of you 'over the pond' tend to buy new cars as frequently as people in the USA- or do you tend to use them until they are no longer repairable?
I came upon my question because I would like to find a small, fun car- maybe a Fiat 500, and was surprised that they are so difficult to find. Also- old VW Bugs, Honda,- any of the older 4 cylinder type cars.
Does it surprise you that the people in the USA seem to buy another new car so frequently? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,073 times
My parents have never, never owned a new car. We always bought used ones. I knew some people who bought brand new, off the lot cars - but they were wealthy people. A friend of mine worked full time for years to buy herself at new car at aged 20, and that was a Ford Ka. For me, as a middle class person from the Home Counties, it was definitely only something well-off people did.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 AM

296 posts, read 803,240 times
There are millions of Americans who cannot afford to buy new cars frequently.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM

93 posts, read 172,497 times
I think the replacement rate for cars is similar here to the US - yearly sales of 2.5-3 million usually vs. US sales of 10-15 million. Its the buyers who are different - the majority of new car registrations here are company/fleet sales - a hangover of the 1960s/70s when companies introduced perks like company cars instead of higher salaries due to the punitive income tax rates of the time (83 to 98%, although iirc there was a surtax for some earners that took the effective marginal income tax rate to 107%)

The Fiat 500 is very much in demand atm though, so i guess there arent many discounts available on it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
There are millions of Americans who cannot afford to buy new cars frequently.
Exactly.

What a strange thread.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmd View Post
Just a curious question. Do those of you 'over the pond' tend to buy new cars as frequently as people in the USA- or do you tend to use them until they are no longer repairable?
I came upon my question because I would like to find a small, fun car- maybe a Fiat 500, and was surprised that they are so difficult to find. Also- old VW Bugs, Honda,- any of the older 4 cylinder type cars.
Does it surprise you that the people in the USA seem to buy another new car so frequently? Thank you!!
Well we usually buy a car that is maybe 1-2 years old-after they have done that huge depreciation form being brand new.We keep them till they are 3-4 years old and then change.However we have only done that for the last 10 years and we are a 1 car family.
My first car at 17 was a 10 year old Fiat 127-the clutch slipped like crazy, but I was overjoyed just to have a car!
If you like the Fiat 500 (my Mum had one of the originals in 1963!), then try the Fiat punto or Seat Ibiza maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom