Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 AM

5 posts, read 5,486 times

Advertisements

I don't think I have ever watched a full episode, my wife, however, adores the show so I have caught glimpses and I think it is done quite well! I think the British tend to really love an entire series/season and watch it through and through, that's why our soaps are still going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,079,707 times
I have never ever watched Downton Abbey

Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM

31,988 posts, read 27,135,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I always look for authenticity , if it doesn't look right i won't watch it, many period TV productions and Movies make the mistake of having the female stars wearing today's hair styles and makeup. One thing about DA it has everything correct in those areas.
Wigmakers and hair stylists skilled in producing accurate period hair fashions cost money, sadly something not all productions have an unlimited supply of these days. Just think now difficult it can be to find someone to do a wash and set these days.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,840,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Wigmakers and hair stylists skilled in producing accurate period hair fashions cost money, sadly something not all productions have an unlimited supply of these days. Just think now difficult it can be to find someone to do a wash and set these days.
There are lots of movies supposedly set in historical times that show people wearing contemporary hairstyles, speaking contemporary slang, etc.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
LOL I finally got my husband to watch Downton Abbey and now he's hooked. We're nearly through Season Two. WOOHOO!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 AM

670 posts, read 906,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Has it come to the point where DA is more popular in the US than the UK?
Never watched it and don't intend to......not much of a period fan although I absolutely love Mr Selfridges.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,840,270 times
I'm wondering what the British find most unrealistic in Downton Abbey? The idea that a nobleman allowed a daughter to marry an Irish chauffeur? An heiress romancing a black American jazz singer (played by a British actor, natch)? Or just the idea that a nobleman would treat "the help" decently?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,249,972 times
Never watched it - but I know a couple people here (Americans) who love it. I'm not into English period dramas but I have heard good things about that show.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,628,779 times
The new season of the show was on the other night and I couldn't help thinking about the UK in the 20th century.

I've been a big fan of Foyle's War for awhile now since its inception. It's one of the greatest series ever produced in my opinion. While watching DA and putting Foyle's War side by side with it it is fascinating to see the two different Britains existing at different times and how lives were lived especially those in the aristocracy. Nothing like time and place to order ways of life that can be very disparate based on the era. DA does at times indicate that the aristocracy were aware that changes were afoot that may change their way of life. As the years went on it certainly did for them as well as the entire nation when it had to fight for its life.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:44 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Penelope Wilton is probably the best known of the others. She's been in several well known series over the years. Doctor Who & Ever Decreasing Circles among others.

I wasn't very impressed with season 4. The writing is getting lazy and the characters are becoming more cliched. Maggie Smith does nothing more than give her trademark withering looks and one liner put-downs.

The American element of the show was ramped up when the show became a hit in the US, but it all seems a bit forced.

The storylines in season 4 seemed to come and go at random and ended abruptly as though they were a batch of standalone threads scattered throughout the season. The last episode didn't exactly end on a cliffhanger either, it just seemed to fizzle out.

I've never much liked Julian Fellowes tbh, he seems to have created Downton as his own personal fantasy of how he thinks he should be living. How the hell he can justify a seat in the House of Lords, I have no idea.
He does and has lived the life though since he was born... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Fellowes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom