Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM

120 posts, read 425,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
Where do American expats hang out in the London area?

Also, I'm wondering if the Hilton London Canary Wharf at South Quay, Marsh Wall, London is a prime location for those on vacation. To my knowledge, Canary Wharf is situated in the business district, but are there a lot of shops and restaurants in the area?

Thanks Again!
Seemed there were a lot of expats in West London (Chelsea etc) but we did experience some in East London as well, specifically Epping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tiv_okie View Post
In my opinion, the best hotels we stayed in were with Premier Inn. There's a Victory Services Hotel in London near everything but you must be military or ex military to stay there. With Premier Inn, we were able to book online for a much cheaper rate than just showing up to book a room. We didn't stay in one in London, but the rest are comparable. In Manchester and Salisbury it was 29 pounds a night, in Hull 39 pounds and in Carlisle, we showed up to book and paid 79 pounds so it pays to shop.
Most of my English friends recommended Travelodge or Premier Inn. Good luck!
Both Premier Inn and TravelLodge are both decent and usually very well-priced. They have zero character though, if that is important.

Slightly more characterful while a still reasonably predictable might be a room in a hotel run by Fuller's or another pub chain; the Wellington Hotel in Waterloo (which is pretty central) has double rooms that supposedly normally go for £200 a night (absurd) but in practice seem to be advertised at £70-£100.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 AM

58 posts, read 110,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
How many are staying in the hotel or apartment?
Just me.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Thanks.

I've used serviced apartments in the past and they work out quite good value if there's more staying.

I don't think it would work out so well if there is just you.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
Where do American expats hang out in the London area?

Also, I'm wondering if the Hilton London Canary Wharf at South Quay, Marsh Wall, London is a prime location for those on vacation. To my knowledge, Canary Wharf is situated in the business district, but are there a lot of shops and restaurants in the area?

Thanks Again!
I'm not going to lie, though I don't go out of my way to do so, I am happy to avoid my fellow countrymen and women during short stays overseas (a brief encounter is always great, though) in order to fully immerse myself in the local culture.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,673 times
I'd suggest something else: rent a flat/apartment. I went thru AirBnB for a 2 bedroom flat this past July. I paid less for a week than I would have for 2 nights anywhere within zone 1 or 2 at any decent hotel. Sure, I stayed in an area that isn't regarded as the best part of town (Elephant and Castle), but compaired to when I lived there 15 years ago its so much better than it was. Actually, the transformation of the south bank of the Thames is amazing. We were ~100 yards from a tube station and we never felt unsafe day or night in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom