Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Found this quite sad... I had been up visiting my grannys grave and took photos of some old soldiers graves ... today while looking through them I came across this one... of a man who received the highest honour in our country, but was buried in a paupers grave or common ground and wondered why.. so had a read and found that after he had left the armed forces he fell on hard times , died and was cremated and his ashes buried here in Janefield cemetery in Glasgow , not even a stone was erected until a few years ago by the British Legion.. what a way to treat a hero.. I also found it strange that he was cremated back in the 1800s. he would have to have been one of the first cremations. Also shoudlnt his medal be here in Scotland and not in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/6544259.stm

Last edited by dizzybint; 01-23-2014 at 05:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Quote:
Also shouldn't his medal be here in Scotland and not in London.
I'm wondering that there are no relations of his alive today. If so, I'd think they'd have the VC medal then. Would that be correct?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I'm wondering that there are no relations of his alive today. If so, I'd think they'd have the VC medal then. Would that be correct?
No Travric they dont.. its in London at a military museum . I dont think he had children..

Sgt McKechnie retired from the army following 22 years of service and moved back to Glasgow.

The hero married relatively late in life but his wife is thought to have died soon afterwards and he passed away on 5 July, 1886, not long after her death. He was 59 years old.

William Brockie, the secretary of The Scots Guards Association, said: "He was one of the first people awarded the VC and it's very sad that he was laid to rest in a pauper's grave.

"The dedication service was the right thing to do because it was high time he was given a burial with the military honours he deserves."

The Edinburgh-based firm Abercorn Memorials donated the 27in grey granite headstone, worth 500, and it was put into place last week.

Sgt McKechnie's VC medal is kept in a vault at the Scots Guards' regimental headquarters in London, but a replica is on display.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Its seems this man wasnt alone in him dying in poverty after winning the VC.. many did ..how awful for these brave men and what a disgrace our government is..in not treating these men they way they deserved..

Dowling was another who found that life outside the army did not live up to his exploits in spiking the guns of the enemy on daring raids outside the besieged city of Lucknow during the 1857 Indian Mutiny.

He had the medal pinned to his chest by Queen Victoria in 1860, but five years later a medical board decided he was unfit for service due to a lack of strength and bronchitis, brought on by an old shell fragment wound to his chest.

He had a two shillings-a-week (10p) army pension and another of £10 a year as a VC winner, plus a job as a customs officer on Liverpool Docks, but still struggled to make ends meet – much of his money going on medical bills. He struggled on, barely able to breathe and eventually unable to walk, until the cold winter of 1887.

Mr Murphy writes: “This brave soldier was buried unknown and unnoticed, without ceremony, on 20 February in Ford Cemetery, watched over by his wife and children only.

“His final resting place was an unmarked pauper’s grave, which was to be disturbed several times in the years to come when other poor unfortunates were interred with him.”

Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM

Its seems this man wasnt alone in him dying in poverty after winning the VC.. many did ..how awful for these brave men and what a disgrace our government is..in not treating these men they way they deserved..

Dowling was another who found that life outside the army did not live up to his exploits in spiking the guns of the enemy on daring raids outside the besieged city of Lucknow during the 1857 Indian Mutiny.

He had the medal pinned to his chest by Queen Victoria in 1860, but five years later a medical board decided he was unfit for service due to a lack of strength and bronchitis, brought on by an old shell fragment wound to his chest.

He had a two shillings-a-week (10p) army pension and another of £10 a year as a VC winner, plus a job as a customs officer on Liverpool Docks, but still struggled to make ends meet – much of his money going on medical bills. He struggled on, barely able to breathe and eventually unable to walk, until the cold winter of 1887.

Mr Murphy writes: “This brave soldier was buried unknown and unnoticed, without ceremony, on 20 February in Ford Cemetery, watched over by his wife and children only.

“His final resting place was an unmarked pauper’s grave, which was to be disturbed several times in the years to come when other poor unfortunates were interred with him.”

Graves of our Victoria Cross heroes 'must be given special protection' | Mail Online

Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
All very sad - too many heroes have been forgotten about too easily in the past.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
All very sad - too many heroes have been forgotten about too easily in the past.
Everywhere.

In the U.S. you can find your way up a dirt track behind a mental hospital, closed late in the last century, and there in a field of unmowed grass among the hundreds of unmarked graves of civilian inmates (including my grand aunt) who died in the place, you will also find a graves of U.S. veterans. Their graves are at least marked...but strange that no one wanted them buried elsewhere.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
You know dizzybint I'd figure that the regiments those men served with could and have the wherewithal to fund the rememberance of those VC winners who have passed on whether it be by memorials or burials. I mean how much could it cost? It's even more important because those men and their ancetsors and families are long gone. This cameto me when i read about individuals going to WWI gravesites in Europe and they commented they were the ONLY ones there at the time viewing the cemetery. It dawned on them that it made sense....those dead men had no living relatives to pay their respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom