Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times

Advertisements

I love the Inbetweeners. Great British comedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
The insult thing is a man thing. Something I do not enjoy or take well, you may say loosen up but I prefer to be nice than rude.

Can't fathom why some brit men do this.
Perhaps you need someone to take you under his wing and instruct you on all things manly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD8yOxIPB0

Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I think you are right about this. I am a very sarcastic person and have to control my 'dark side.' I got British humor right away and love it.

I was also a huge fan of all of those gloomy but beautiful Manchester bands (The Smiths, Stone Roses, Charlatans, etc...)
Well, nothing too gloomy about The Stone Roses or The Charlatans.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Actually I think The Smiths are a perfect example of British humour. Certainly a band that could not have come from anywhere else.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'd like to know more about the humor. My Brit husband and I laugh about the same things but I don't know what he'd be like if he were back in England. They have some tv shows that I just don't "get."

He doesn't get my humor but maybe no American does either. I say things and keep a straight face. I don't really mean what I say but he thinks I do. It causes fights.

My English aunt used to entertain an entire roomful of people with her stories. They were disrespectful and kind of mean in a mocking manner but they were hilarious. I don't know if that was Brit humor or just--her.
Yes. You nailed it in the last paragraph. I have this kind of humor also....dry, with dead pan delivery. Some people get me, some people don't.
My favorite example is Mark Stein, a writer who fills in for Rush Limbaugh sometimes. The man is British and hilarious.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Well, nothing too gloomy about The Stone Roses or The Charlatans.
Yeah you are right about the Charlatans, but I think the Stone Roses are a bit gloomy, albeit in a beautiful way. Their lyrics are not all that positive. Most of their songs are deep and a little dark.

Bye bye Badman

Soak me to my skin
Will you drown me in your sea
Submission ends and I begin

Choke me smoke the air
In this citrus sucking sunshine
Etc....

Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Friends - about as funny as a kick in the nuts - Only fools and horses - funniest sitcom I've ever seen yet never sent 'over there', I think this shows that there is a difference, of course whatever the difference is its all about taste, personally I generally don't find American 'comedies' in the slightest bit funny, to me there are other aspects of American TV they do so much better - my personal favourite American TV - Columbo, what a great character he was! :-)
Funny thing is that Friends is much more popular in the UK than the US. It's in tv all the time there; I have never EVER seen it here. In sure it's in somewhere but I've never seen it or heard anyone talk about it.

Only Fools & horses has to be one of the worst shows of all time. Terrible writing, acting and humor. Total pants!

Question; what has the title got to do with the show ?? It's a show that shows the shallowness of most British sitcoms, and the "jump on the bandwagon" acceptance that it is somehow good. The show makes me cringe..

Last edited by Mag3.14; 03-20-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 PM

301 posts, read 521,379 times
Friends hasn't been shown in UK for years, it's a very outdated show

Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I just for the life of me could not get/understand the British humor, can you help enlighten me? Thanks!
Either you get it or you do not get it.

The most successful humorous TV show in the world is British, and shown more times than any other and in many countries as well. But the British know nothing of it and it is not shown in the UK. It is called Dinner For One. The Germans, Austrians and Scandinavians love it and show it on every New Years Eve

Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm9C0w1aFcc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom