Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 PM

17 posts, read 26,391 times

Advertisements

Hi can anyone one help I am thinking about relocating to either Connecticut or Washington, I just can't decide I am getting mixed reviews. I am looking for a location with excellent schools and job opportunities not too far from the seaside, parks, low crime family orientated good life style living, resturants lots to do. I do not want to be in a city but not too far maybe 45 minutes. I though Seattle would be good but I keep seeing reviews with high crimes. I have read within Connecticut most corporate head offices are their which means job opportunities and it is not far from NYC which, I am currently living in the UK I would like information from anyone. I would like a diverse location with reasonable cost of living but with good social atmosphere Theater, good place to raise children.
In addition any recommendations for locations within east coast and near Washington sections which I might not have considered.

Thank you

Last edited by DAJ2121; 07-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: To include other locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
You might consider posting in each of the respective forums (Conn and Wash) in the U.S. forums. Both can be excellent places to live/raise a family, but I suspect the cost of living is quite a bit higher (in general) in Connecticut. Connecticut is also much colder than, say Seattle, in the winter.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,059 times
There is a really unique reason to go with Connecticut. The New England states are richer in history and in having a better representation of all 4 seasons than Washington State. Connecticut has a very interesting feature of being commuting distance from both New York, New York and Boston, Massachusetts.
But also some amazing day/weekend trips

Catskills, Adirondacks, Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard, Newport, Berkshires, White Mountain region of New Hampshire, Vermont is America's little Switzerland, Montreal
And all this is within 4-5 hours drive tops

As a person from the UK, you might appreciate Connecticut's town structure that traces to the old lost bunch of UK sailors of centuries ago. It will be something you may find nostalgic.

The family and community and educational structure in Connecticut ranks very high.

The Northeast holds the 7 Ivy League colleges of Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth, and UPenn and has other unique liberal arts colleges. Yale is in New Haven, Connecticut. It is accessible within an hours drive of almost anywhere in the state

The food in New England region (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine) is out of this world for the states. The towns are cute and quaint and the Italian cuisine is very authentic. People do have a tendency to complain in Connecticut, but I think you will find it to be very homey. People live very long life expectancies here, divorce rates are low, marriages tend to involve family and community, and Celtic heritage is somewhat celebrated. The seaports are picturesque, and it's easy to fly transatlantic to and from Europe. Politically it is center-left and secular compared to rest of the country.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Connecticut has a colder winter, but it is also sunnier and warmer for much longer than Washington. Connecticut is also close to several major metro areas (New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC) while Washington is relatively isolated. As far as high crime goes, Washington would be better statistically, but unless you are planning on being involved in the drug trade it honestly shouldn't be something to worry about, it can go either way. As far as the cosmopolitan aspect goes, Connecticut is more international being next to NYC but on the other hand Washington may be more peaceful and out of the way. Regarding cost of living, Washington is the way to go - Connecticut has some of the highest COL in the US but also good jobs and opportunities due to it's location. It really is a toss up between two different places.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:22 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,059 times
I am happy living in Connecticut but Washington State is beautiful as well. Very pretty evergreen landscape, Seattle is lovely and the Cascades have beautiful hikes. Seattle is more techy and great for computer sciences, software development, where as Connecticut it's insurances and financial hedging and education, education for special needs, health and medical services as well

Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Firstly, do you have a visa or citizenship that allows you to work in the US?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 AM

Default Relocate

Hi thank you, yes I do have citizenship to live in the United States and BS degree in business management also just completed a course in HR am I thinking of pursuing a career within HR. I am divorce and a single mum and would like my son to be in a very good school hence going to a good university or college. It is a big decision as we live by the sea and lovely here in South of UK which is the best place to live crime is very low just not many opportunities schools are not as good and jobs. I have not been to Connectcut or Washington but I have been reading about the economy, jobs, housing etc. I would prefer to be closer to the sea with reason such as cost to live there.

I am not trying to make a decision, which is a big one some of the blogs and the news is so negative and I need to decide on the state to live hopefully the rest will be easier! I have heard that Washington State is inceasing the minimum wages as well which will intern increase other job prespect I think!

Any thoughts please?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJ2121 View Post
Hi thank you, yes I do have citizenship to live in the United States and BS degree in business management also just completed a course in HR am I thinking of pursuing a career within HR. I am divorce and a single mum and would like my son to be in a very good school hence going to a good university or college. It is a big decision as we live by the sea and lovely here in South of UK which is the best place to live crime is very low just not many opportunities schools are not as good and jobs. I have not been to Connectcut or Washington but I have been reading about the economy, jobs, housing etc. I would prefer to be closer to the sea with reason such as cost to live there.

I am not trying to make a decision, which is a big one some of the blogs and the news is so negative and I need to decide on the state to live hopefully the rest will be easier! I have heard that Washington State is inceasing the minimum wages as well which will intern increase other job prespect I think!

Any thoughts please?
I'm thinking that any job application needs to be checked more carefully for spelling and grammatical errors.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Bellingham in Washington might fit your bill, a significantly quieter area than Seattle. I'm not sure about good schools anywhere, but the east side over the lake from Seattle (Bellevue, Redmond, etc) has a lot in the way of corporate offices, although it is more expensive there and traffic is horrendous. One thing is for certain though, the water is cold everywhere in the Pacific Northwest, much more so than any of the UK coast.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Hello thank you very for you response, as I would have to rent to start what are renting prices for 2 bedroom apartments or houses. The job market I was told is very good, what is the employment rates like. You are right there are a lot of comments where I see many complaining about the cost of living being very high which is negative. I am looking for work in within HR I also have a Business management degree and just finished a qulifications with HR and will be pursuing jobs within this area. Also for my son who plays Ruby how popular is this sport, I would like him to continue.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom