Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 AM

657 posts, read 802,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Do Londoners think of Central London like New Yorkers think of Manhattan?
What do New Yorkers think of Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Leeds an urban metro. They only have awful buses and it is a nightmare to get around. The city is unremarkable as is Manchester, Sheffield and Hull. The only north of England city that stands out is Liverpool, although with a lot still to do, it also has a decent metro system.
Newcastle upon Tyne is highly rated and well visited.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Newcastle upon Tyne is highly rated and well visited.
It is and away from the main north of England city cluster from Liverpool to Hull. Those cities that stand out are predominantly ports.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Leeds an urban metro. They only have awful buses and a nightmare to get around. The city is unremarkable as is Manchester, Sheffield and Hull. The only north of England city that stands out is Liverpool, although with a lot still to do, it also has a decent metro system.
I will state my opinion.

Leeds is unremarkable but very nice. Attractive Victorian architecture and clean. Good for a city break but poor for long visits. Terrible public transport but very walkable.

I find Manchester to be impressive architecturally. I really love the old mill buildings that tower over the city streets. There are no particular stand-out buildings but generally very nice in my opinion. Good tram network as well. Downside is litter.

Liverpool has grandeur buildings not really seen in other cities. Very good public realm and decent transport (though still subpar by European standards). A real tourist destination, more so than the others for sure. Still a long way to go and visible deprivation is worse, but probably not an issue if you stay in the city centre.

Sheffield the most unremarkable of the lot. Really poor city centre and extremely mediocre architecture. Poor shopping, poor museums - wouldn't bother. Very clean however and a tram system. Some very beautiful suburbs and very green.

Newcastle, Grainger Town is lovely but beyond that I don't find this city anything special. The Sage is good. Good transport. Rather small. Loads of empty shops.

Hull - probably not as bad as people say but not worth visiting.

Overall, places like Manchester and Leeds are better places to live than they are to visit. They have you usual city amenities but nothing really outstanding.

Liverpool will probably be a major tourist destination in the next decade or two.

The others, I don't really care

Last edited by Oreocheesecake; 11-02-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
It would all depend on the neighbours.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:33 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Arbroath, Scotland. Greenock, Scotland. Blackpool, England.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
There's also a place called Utoxiter (Not sure how you spell it), but it's in the sub-polar regions of the midlands (just joking!), and it's a boring dumb! Stopped at the Travel Lodge there when going up to Scotland... Never again! Mind you they make Fox biscuits there! Or at least they did...

Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Coventry - avoid it like the plague. Ugly place, rudest people I've ever met in the UK as well. Just horrible. Also, avoid places like Bolton, Bradford, and also most towns in the NW. Just dull, dingy ugly little places with nothing but pebbledashed puke coloured houses and anemic green fields under a grey sky chock-full of drizzle.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Last year I visited both Manchester and Birmingham. (plan on returning to the UK in Feb) I can't really say I have been to a town or city I didn't like. The people in both places were generally friendly despite their weird unique dialect to us Americans. Of course, I guess it depends on what one's definition of a worse place really is. I don't like to generalize a whole city based on a few encounters. You have rude and nice people everywhere. I heard there are some places in Northern Ireland (Dery?) where some Irish are not friendly towards the English. Would this have anything to do with the riot on Bloody Sunday in 1972? Do they still have signs up in some of the neighborhoods saying British Keep Out? Just wondering. Are Americans welcomed there?

Last edited by urbanologist; 11-06-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 AM

657 posts, read 802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreocheesecake View Post
I will state my opinion.

Leeds is unremarkable but very nice. Attractive Victorian architecture and clean. Good for a city break but poor for long visits. Terrible public transport but very walkable.

I find Manchester to be impressive architecturally. I really love the old mill buildings that tower over the city streets. There are no particular stand-out buildings but generally very nice in my opinion. Good tram network as well. Downside is litter.

Liverpool has grandeur buildings not really seen in other cities. Very good public realm and decent transport (though still subpar by European standards). A real tourist destination, more so than the others for sure. Still a long way to go and visible deprivation is worse, but probably not an issue if you stay in the city centre.

Sheffield the most unremarkable of the lot. Really poor city centre and extremely mediocre architecture. Poor shopping, poor museums - wouldn't bother. Very clean however and a tram system. Some very beautiful suburbs and very green.

Newcastle, Grainger Town is lovely but beyond that I don't find this city anything special. The Sage is good. Good transport. Rather small. Loads of empty shops.

Hull - probably not as bad as people say but not worth visiting.

Overall, places like Manchester and Leeds are better places to live than they are to visit. They have you usual city amenities but nothing really outstanding.

Liverpool will probably be a major tourist destination in the next decade or two.

The others, I don't really care
Agree with this; was really underwhelmed with the whole city.

Nottingham, however, is a brilliant city, fantastic city centre with marvelous architecture. The tram system is great and I love the whole Robin hood history too. That to me is a northern city that stands out. I've never been Liverpool, but I've heard many good things about the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom