Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 PM

10,557 posts, read 6,212,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The telegraph reports there are 30 spiders in the average UK home

To paraphrase Hellen Keller, unless you stay awake to watch whether a spider is in your vicinity while you sleep, how would you know? Of course staying awake will alter the parameters, and may not provide the same result. You even recognize that in your 47 years that it's possible that a spider could have been on your pillow while you slept.

Yep, I think that at most 3 times in a lifetime is possible. I'm not claiming that the claim is entirely accurate, but that given the laws of probability, its possible.

Why did someone fund a study into the friction effects of banana skins? Or whether cows are more likely to lie down the longer they stand (which kind of boggles my mind, I'll have to read that one to figure out what it's really trying to say because prima facie, yes, the longer they stand the more likely they are to lie down)?

You're misusing the term myth, a myth is
Quote:
a widely held but false belief or idea.
Sounds like a myth to me. And I know what a myth is without having to look it up in a dictionary. Thanks.

Is swallowing a spider while sleeping impossible? If not it cannot be a false idea, it may be implausible, but not impossible. 70 years is a long time, that's a lot of hours sleeping (23 1/3 years), like I said in a previous post, one of the prime laws of probability is that over a long enough timeline all possible outcomes must occur (Komolgorov's second probability axiom the sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes must equal 1). Therefore given 7 billion people on the planet and in the developed world there being an average 30 spiders per living space, then even the most implausible becomes realized, there are roughly 192,000 man years of sleep generated per day on the planet (taking an 8 hour per day sleep cycle), that's a lot of time for spiders to get swallowed per day.
That's not what were arguing about though is it. I never said it's impossible.

You said this though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Now just to really freak you out...

Did you know that statistically speaking if a person lives an average of 70 years, that over the course of their lives they will swallow three spiders in their sleep?

Interesting trivia fact, #279.
I also understand how averages work.
What you are saying is that statistically speaking an average person will swallow 3 spiders if they live 70 years. For this to be statistically accurate, lets say I swallow 0 spiders, someone else swallows 3, to make your statement accurate someone else will have had to have swallowed 6... other people might have swallowed 2 someone else 5 and so on. In other words 3 is the number arrived at by adding all the quantities together and then dividing the total by the number of people. In other words unless there are people consuming hundreds of spiders to account for most people having consumed 0, this statement of yours makes no sense.

No swallowing a spider is not impossible but your statistics are massively improbable.

Anyway, we are arguing about swallowing spiders here. It's really not worth the argument. If you want to believe it, fine, I leave you to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,595,298 times
Ahahaha! Sh*t!! Redback spider bite 'kills dad of five' and may be on the loose in UK | Latest News | Latest Breaking News | Daily Star

Old 09-24-2014, 02:28 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,830,903 times
Most bites by the redback don't require medical attention at all. When I read the article, and it said that black widow spiders are even more venemous, then it made redbacks sound not all that bad - I know a bunch of people who have been bitten by black widows and just went on about their day. Usually sore, yea - but rarely life threatening.

I used to live in an apartment complex where two people were bit (within a year of one another) by a brown recluse - they both had to have skin around the bites surgically removed. So I learned to always shake my sheets at night, and shake my clothes/shoes out every morning.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM

16,761 posts, read 17,529,149 times
I lived in Brown Recluse country and know a couple of people who were bitten.

You didn't go putting your hands down crevices in dark cupboards!

Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,694,846 times
Brown recluses sound scarier than any spider. Glad that we don't have to deal with them here as I'd be alert all the time. Give me a relatively harmless tarantula over them.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:54 AM

16,761 posts, read 17,529,149 times
Mrs J has me busy at the moment removing big hairy ones from the bath and sinks.

I read this great comment somewhere this week that said it needs only for someone to walk into a spider's web in the garden to turn them into a karate expert.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 AM

I believe there is a spider program on the BBC tonight which is worth a watch. Did you know that spiders are actually good to have around the house, and they are all relatively harmless in the UK... What do we all wry about then! Give it a watch:
BBC iWonder - Why should I love spiders?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM

The Spider thing was on last night on BBC 4. Haven't watched it yet but it may be worth a watch:
BBC iPlayer - Spider House

Old 10-31-2014, 03:53 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,717,991 times
Apparently our arachnid friends suffer from "conkerphobia" Just putting some conkers by the doors & windows should be enough to cause the little blighters to flee to your neighbours abode.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:44 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,219,343 times
I seen a wasp in Aberdeen last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom