Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:37 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I guess your area is VERY VERY different then.
My area is the most densely populated part of the whole of the UK, cosidering this perhaps your area is the one that's 'different'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
From what class did the wife of David Cameron come? The wife of Boris Johnson?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 34,025 times
Anybody who says that there is no class divide anymore, and that the different classes mix and intermingle clearly doesn't actually know many of the truly priviledged upper class. How many millionaires do you see visiting benefits street to hang out with their mates?

Last edited by LondonPleb; 05-24-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Rich people stay in their group.
Thats a lie, genuinly these days people dont consider class... its been improving like that scince the war... for example in 1986, my dad (working class) married my mum (upper middle class), they married because they love each other, not because of class... pluss my mate whos middle class is going out with a girl (extremely hot one i have to say) who lives in a mantion... My point is people dont stick with their class anymore, not in my area anyways...

Old 05-24-2015, 03:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Thats a lie, genuinly these days people dont consider class... its been improving like that scince the war... for example in 1986, my dad (working class) married my mum (upper middle class), they married because they love each other, not because of class... pluss my mate whos middle class is going out with a girl (extremely hot one i have to say) who lives in a mantion... My point is people dont stick with their class anymore, not in my area anyways...
It's not a lie, it may not have happened in your experience, but to the person you're responding it may have.

The fact is that the lie is that it doesn't matter. Of course it matters, every time someone hears where someone else is from and with no other information tells you "they're not good enough for you" it matters to them. Or is overly critical of someone who really isn't that much different than someone else you used to be with, except where they were born and to whom.

Sure practically people do marry outside of their social strata, but to say people don't consider class is false. You may not, but who do you know, what are their social strata, and rich is not class. Footballers can be rich, musicians can be rich, actors can be rich, Mike Ashley is rich that doesn't make them upper class.

As you climb the social ladder resistance to relationships and especially marriage increases. How many hereditary peers do you know, and how many married into middle class or lower? So middle class to working class isn't really a problem (other than certain social aspects that may cause friction), but middle class to upper class or higher it can be a serious issue. I remember during my passing out ceremony at Sandhurst, I had a friend who was the spare to an Earldom and like a good second son he joined a cavalry regiment. Well during his year he'd got friendly with one of the locals, nice girl solidly lower middle class, well when he redeployed to regiment he wouldn't get to see her (distance) and couldn't take her with him (no marriage), so he talked to "the Earl" about marrying her, yeah tell him that people don't consider class important.

So in the soup of British class that is the middle and lower classes, it really doesn't matter, but it is a falsehood to say it doesn't matter at all to those in the true upper classes and peerages.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I think the UK is still conscience about class and upbringing - but it's less prevalent amongst the younger population.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
I'm peasant northern scum class, but I still managed to marry someone from a wealthy family in the Channel Islands.

Go me.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I'm peasant northern scum class, but I still managed to marry someone from a wealthy family in the Channel Islands.

Go me.
I'm not exactly peasant northern scum class (and from further north than you), but what are you describing when you mention wealthy family?

Are we talking owning an apartment in Knightsbridge wealthy, or having a 4-5 Bedroom house on a couple of acres of land?

I've experienced the Knightsbridge wealthy class, and they're not much on the marriage, fine for the relationship for a while, but not marriage.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 AM

Oh Please! Stop talking rubbish. Universities are very divided, probably more than ever before now fees have come in.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:49 AM

Going to University is not the way to do social climbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom