Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times

Advertisements

Flights this year so far:

LDY-STN
STN-LDY
DUB-IAD
JFK-DUB
LDY-STN
STN-LDY
STN-LDY
LDY-STN
DCA-JFK
EWR-DUB
DUB-EWR

I can't see your average English person flying that much. On to that i'd say I've got about another 10 flights this year, most likely to Stansted, Newark and ORD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Flights this year so far:

LDY-STN
STN-LDY
DUB-IAD
JFK-DUB
LDY-STN
STN-LDY
STN-LDY
LDY-STN
DCA-JFK
EWR-DUB
DUB-EWR

I can't see your average English person flying that much. On to that i'd say I've got about another 10 flights this year, most likely to Stansted, Newark and ORD.
How do you fund your traveling if you don't mind me asking?

As a working man that earns well I would struggle.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM

All of those flights only cost about £3,000; some of which were business class. People greatly overestimate the cost of flights.

It's probably cheaper for me to go home now rather than the people in other parts of England (I would never say that though, they'd be angry).

Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
You shouldn't generalise about the English not travelling much, I can smell a cowpat! Since Francis Drake and the Mayflower, or the Bounty, England, ( also all of Britain) have loved to travel the world; you cant say all Welsh are this, all English are that, or do you mean black English, or white Welsh, or mixed race Scousers, or someone half-Scot-half English, or Southern Irish, yet Polish descent. If you generalise in a Global world now people will bash you. I have been to the US, Tuscany, Rome, Normandy, Barbados ( cheap deal), last couple of years and I am a working class, polite, Briton. If you read books you will want to travel. Don't let Uni make you all superior and sulky

Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 AM

I'm not superior. I'm being real, most of the people haven't really travelled all that far and if they did it was through hostels and a gap year thing i.e not a regular thing.

I'm not being "sulky" at all.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Well, maybe older Brits ( English, Welsh, Scots, Ulster) travel more, though I have heard of problems with young English travellers in Thailand, NZ, Zanzibar ect: I only said sulky because you sound a lot younger than me.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
All of those flights only cost about £3,000; some of which were business class. People greatly overestimate the cost of flights.

It's probably cheaper for me to go home now rather than the people in other parts of England (I would never say that though, they'd be angry).
Maybe you are a lot more fortunate than most people. When I was at college there was no money to go traveling and my mother certainly could not afford to give me cash. I used to hitch hike up and down the M6/A74 to home and back.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM

A lot of people assume we're rich but really we're more fortunate than working class people but it stops there. My parents don't even have a joint income of £100,000, it's just because my parents are both retired and they have paid off their mortgages.

I guess my parents find it easier to travel because they've got more disposable income than other people. I think really it's more the fact that other people just don't spend their money on travelling, other people might spend their money on expensive handbags or nights out. I also think that a lot of people overestimate the price of travelling, like we always get people asking us how we can afford to goto America for a month etc when they don't actually price it for themselves and just assume it costs tens of thousands of pounds.

I flew business class this summer and our holiday only came to £5,000 which I think is amazing for everything we got e.g currency, business class return, 4* hotels in NYC and Washington and transport between the two.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
I was hoping for some light conversation between us Americans and British based on the OP, only to find it was hijacked by our friend from Ireland. Sheesh.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
A lot of people assume we're rich but really we're more fortunate than working class people but it stops there. My parents don't even have a joint income of £100,000, it's just because my parents are both retired and they have paid off their mortgages.

I guess my parents find it easier to travel because they've got more disposable income than other people. I think really it's more the fact that other people just don't spend their money on travelling, other people might spend their money on expensive handbags or nights out. I also think that a lot of people overestimate the price of travelling, like we always get people asking us how we can afford to goto America for a month etc when they don't actually price it for themselves and just assume it costs tens of thousands of pounds.

I flew business class this summer and our holiday only came to £5,000 which I think is amazing for everything we got e.g currency, business class return, 4* hotels in NYC and Washington and transport between the two.
I think you need to get a dose of the real world.

Very few people have a joint income of £100,000 and a great many people cannot afford £5,000 on a holiday. This is especially true of young people who have not ramped up their earning potential and older people who are getting a state pension of just £116/week.

You are a very fortunate young man and the sooner you realise that the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom