Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 04:25 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,267,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'Cooler' ancestry! Cooler! Bloody hell I didn't realise it was so 'un-cool' to be English! Just out of curiosity why is it much 'cooler' to say you have German ancestors exactly??
You're not an American. Don't comment on issues that you have no experience with.

This man is right, you are wrong. GET OVER IT.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
Americans have a general dislike for the English.

English ancestry has a tendency to be seen as bland and boring.

There was a thread here(I think) with a question that basicly went "Which ethnic group has influenced the US the most?".... Needless to say, the English wasn't even mentioned. Apparantley even the Italians and Poles and whatnot have had a larger impact on American culture than the English.
He's not even an American (I don't think he's even visited) ignore him. He has some cheek on him to think that he can come into this discussion about American ancestry and think that he has the experience to bluntly disregard someone's opinion like that.

From experience people in the South East of England have terrible, terrible knowledge about Northern Ireland so how are they going to cope with a discussion on American ancestry?

Old 10-11-2015, 04:43 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,487,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
When my ancestors were in the British Isles, they were the dominant economic and military in the world. They emigrated to the USA and now the USA is 6 times the GDP of the UK and is the dominant economic, military and cultural power in the world. I see why my ancestors left and very glad they did.

Sorry, TT; the USA hasn't been the dominant economic or military power since last September (2014). The Chinese are #1 financially, and the Russians are #1 militarily. I've no idea where you get the 'culturally superior' data, but I sincerely doubt that many non-American people would agree with you.

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:13 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,448,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I'm not going to take issue with you, because I'm not clear what point exactly you're trying to make. Seems like you're trying to assert the "one drop rule" to English heritage, which is really really bad politics, and I won't touch that with a barge pole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Suffice to say, I struggle with your assertion that the 6-7% who identify as "American" is a large proportion, particularly in the context that they are believed to be largely a mixed race polyglot, English/Creole Asian/French etc.
Uh, no. Look at the 2000 map of ancestries by county, for example. "American" ancestry is most commonly found in the South. It is not the same as African ancestry, for example, which is a shown separately. And it certainly isn't Asian. It is the dominant ancestry in Southern Appalachia, for example, so the vast majority of people who identified as "American" in the US Census are white Americans whose ancestors have been in the country for a very long time, and ultimately largely descended from British stock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...-by-County.svg

Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,613,693 times
I don't see what the make up of the USA has to do with how BRITS view America??

Old 10-11-2015, 05:29 AM

93 posts, read 75,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
News to me!

Actually the whole post is a bit daft!
The UK and US goverments are obviously close allies.

But if we are gonna generealize a bit here(there are always exceptions offcourse) then yes... Americans do dislike the English. The English are often blissfully unaware of this and some never know the contempt Americans have for them and anything English.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,447,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
You're not an American. Don't comment on issues that you have no experience with.

This man is right, you are wrong. GET OVER IT.

You're not American either. New York, layovers, and a visit to Florida do NOT make you an authority on the matter.

Perhaps you should follow your own pretentious advice?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:46 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,448,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
The UK and US goverments are obviously close allies.

But if we are gonna generealize a bit here(there are always exceptions offcourse) then yes... Americans do dislike the English. The English are often blissfully unaware of this and some never know the contempt Americans have for them and anything English.
Great Britain is Americans' 2nd most highly favored country (after Canada).* Not really the same as saying England is equally preferred, since obviously the UK is comprised of more than just England. However, it's quite a stretch to say Americans generally dislike the English. Most still believe in the American-centric view of the Revolutionary War, which is basically that the English were bad and the "patriots" were good (a view I disagree with, BTW). Nevertheless, I'd say Americans have a much different opinion of modern Englanders. Some strong anti-English sentiments do exist, most notably, perhaps, among some Irish-Americans, who have notoriously donated to the IRA.

* Based on this: Americans Least Favorable Toward Iran

Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You're not American either. New York, layovers, and a visit to Florida do NOT make you an authority on the matter.

Perhaps you should follow your own pretentious advice?
Yes, but I've got close family there and I have visited 9 different states already. I don't need to justify myself to a Canadian.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:51 AM

16,685 posts, read 17,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Not news to me. I know a few Americans who can't stand the English, usually people with minority ancestries like Italian.

You are gullible if you think all Americans have a liking to England.
I never said that I thought that all Americans have a liking for England.

I disagreed with the comment, which I highlighted, that Americans have a general dislike for the English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom