Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 02:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
  • Presumably that 88% accounts for children of immigrants. This percentage should not be shocking given that most European Americans are below replacement fertility
  • Since 1973 57.76 million legal abortions have been performed. These are just numbers, and you can spin them any way you want.
  • AFAIK Australia is the country with the biggest immigrant population. Most modern day population statistics exceed statistics from the 19th and early 20th centuries. There are simply more people.
  • Asians will outstrip Latinos as the dominant immigrant group simply because there are 4 billion of them, while the population of the Americas (northern and Latin) is not even a billion.
  • We've known Non-Hispanic whites would approach 50% of the population at some point since the law was changed in 1965. That's why the law was changed to prevent USA from maxing out at roughly 250 million people mostly of European descent. United States Census Bureau places the time when the world population surpassed 3 billion as July 1959. At the same time one of history's worst famine was devastating China. In the early 1960s the growth rate of the world measured by percentage was at an all time historical high.

Illegal immigration in the EU will eventually exceed illegal immigration in the USA. Statistically, there are just that many more people 500 miles from the borders of the EU.
I think you're right on the children of immigrants, but since it's a 50 year time scale it could also include some/many grand children.

Different data, but the Census Bureau is projecting that the "natural increase" in US population will decline from the current 1.65M to 0.77M in the 2050's and up to 0.95M by 2065. Obviously, I wouldn't bet on that, but it makes it easier to see where they get the 88%.

On the immigrant/abortion issue. I keep pointing out that the US pursues a low population policy. If every green card applicant since 1965 had been granted, instead of the 12.5%, then the population of the US today would be in the 900M range.

Very much agree on the EU immigrant situation too. The population of Africa is projected to quadruple by 2100. Nigeria is expected to overtake the US.

Africa's Population Will Quadruple by 2100. What Does That Mean for its Cities? - CityLab

EU needs to face up to reality and get a series of carrot & stick policies in place.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You don't think the predominant ancestry in Southern Appalachia, for example, is overwhelmingly British Isles ancestry?
It may very well be, but its still not a big number in context.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
It may very well be, but its still not a big number in context.
It is more than just that, though. It is almost universally understood to be comprised of white people of largely British Isles stock. However, most of their ancestors have been in the country for a very long time... thus they identify more as "American" than anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...-by-County.svg

There is no other ethnicity that could explain this. Not African, not German, not Irish, and certainly not Asian, like you originally suggested.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It is more than just that, though. It is almost universally understood to be comprised of white people of largely British Isles stock. However, most of their ancestors have been in the country for a very long time... thus they identify more as "American" than anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...-by-County.svg

There is no other ethnicity that could explain this. Not African, not German, not Irish, and certainly not Asian, like you originally suggested.
I don't dispute anything here, I'll just note that there is so much intermarriage among the various European nationalities/ethnicities that there no longer is the "pure" English/Irish/German etc. that you seem to be in pursuit of, at least as far as English is concerned. I have Southern Appalachian in laws, educated people, lawyers, name of Jones, who identify as German. Go Figya!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Australia came much later than those colonies in the US. England learned alot in what not to do in Australia opposed to the blunders done in the new world. The Brits cut their teeth on the American colonies.
I think Brits are also exposed to far more American culture than Australian, so get a greater sense of cross Atlantic similarities and differences. Beyond a few written for export shows like Neighbours I doubt the UK gets to see much popular Australian culture. Most coverage of Australia in UK news sites seems to be cricket ( a reasonably popular sport ) or rugby union - a fairly minor sport even in the two states where it is played.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I don't dispute anything here, I'll just note that there is so much intermarriage among the various European nationalities/ethnicities that there no longer is the "pure" English/Irish/German etc. that you seem to be in pursuit of, at least as far as English is concerned. I have Southern Appalachian in laws, educated people, lawyers, name of Jones, who identify as German. Go Figya!
Why do you put "pure" in quotation marks when I have said nothing about purity? White Southerners are largely of British stock. If there is any German in there, it's only minor. Do you dispute this? Or do you think white areas of the South are as German as Minnesota?

Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I think Brits are also exposed to far more American culture than Australian, so get a greater sense of cross Atlantic similarities and differences. Beyond a few written for export shows like Neighbours I doubt the UK gets to see much popular Australian culture. Most coverage of Australia in UK news sites seems to be cricket ( a reasonably popular sport ) or rugby union - a fairly minor sport even in the two states where it is played.
Yeah, I've never been to Australia and I've been to the USA 3 times so I've got a fair idea what it's like. I don't know if we've got more similarities with Australia or the USA, many people say we have more similarities with Australia.

I really don't know about that, I fell like our landscape is more American esq than Aussie, it will obviously be similar for our climate.

We've got the advantage of a bigger, longer relationship with the USA that we do not have with Australia. Australia is also incredibly far away i.e 23 hours + for a journey and a mere 6 hour flight to NYC.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
pssst. don't mention the cricket, not until the next Ashes series at least....

Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Yeah, I've never been to Australia and I've been to the USA 3 times so I've got a fair idea what it's like. I don't know if we've got more similarities with Australia or the USA, many people say we have more similarities with Australia.

I really don't know about that, I fell like our landscape is more American esq than Aussie, it will obviously be similar for our climate.

We've got the advantage of a bigger, longer relationship with the USA that we do not have with Australia. Australia is also incredibly far away i.e 23 hours + for a journey and a mere 6 hour flight to NYC.
Australia is far more like the Uk than anywhere in North America.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:59 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

Visiting somewhere really doesn't give you much of an idea - especially a country like the US which feels like it has several different countries within it.

I agree with Jaggy above, in that Australia is way more like the UK (even though the difference between it and the UK are also vast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom