Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times

Advertisements

you see a lot of Londoners who are now living in the West Country, anywhere from Wiltshire all the west to the tip of Cornwall.
sell your poky little flat in London, what you get for it will probably buy a 3,4 or 5 bed house down here.
which unfortunately is part of the problem, this pushes up the house prices and locals on low wages cant afford to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you see a lot of Londoners who are now living in the West Country, anywhere from Wiltshire all the west to the tip of Cornwall.
sell your poky little flat in London, what you get for it will probably buy a 3,4 or 5 bed house down here.
which unfortunately is part of the problem, this pushes up the house prices and locals on low wages cant afford to buy.
Definately, I went back to Frome recently barely recognised it, full of London hipsters with their own mini start up scene. You could see they had sold up in London and bought a nice house out west.

Can't blame them the west country is lovely..

Old 01-10-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Definately, I went back to Frome recently barely recognised it, full of London hipsters with their own mini start up scene. You could see they had sold up in London and bought a nice house out west.

Can't blame them the west country is lovely..
yes I know Frome quite well, have spent a lot of time in the Frome/Mere area.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:07 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
Most of Escape To The Country is based on this! Ironically, those moving to Cornwall will actually find themselves in one of the poorest areas in the UK:

Cornwall is officially the poorest area in the UK | West Briton

"Cornwall is ranked equally with the Welsh valleys* as the poorest part of the UK, and is in the top ten most deprived areas in western Europe."

Parts of Britain are now poorer than POLAND | Daily Mail Online

"Parts of Britain are now poorer than Poland, Lithuania and Hungary, official figures reveal. People in the Welsh Valleys* and Cornwall - Britain’s two poorest areas - scrape by on less than £14,300 a year on average."

* Great to know!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 AM

it used to be cheaper to buy a house in Cornwall than one in Devon but sadly the "incomers" with money have pushed the price up and the houses cost much the same in either county now..

Old 01-11-2016, 11:33 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
To the lunatic that left me a unnamed rep.......

Mate I'm not actually the prime minister of Great Britain, how the hell do you want me to " claim England back "??? And how am I gonna start a revolt? I'm not dick Turpin or Robin Hood either!.

If your that concerned with " what's happened to your ancestors homeland " why don't you pop over and show us how's it's done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom