Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,369 times

Advertisements

Roath? I lived at Uni Hall (the one on the hill up the road from Roath Lake). Remember Clancy's pub? Those were the days. The last time I was back there they had turned it into one of those Scream pubs....probably something else now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
I lived the other side on Connaught Rd. I used the Claude quite a bit but mainly hung out with the music crowd over on Broadway at the Royal Oak or went into town to the Welsh Club. I better stop there or I`ll be posting names of pubs all day!!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Would you say that people in Cardiff are generally laid-back? What about the U.K. in general. Can you compare a few of the larger areas and the atmosphere, so to speak, in those cities (I really would only care about London and Cardiff).

Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times
Hi there, I too have questions about Cardiff, some of which were answered here. These are questions I have:

1. what is the transportation system like?
2. What is the crime rate like?
3. Is the city depressed (as in unkept,run-down,trash filled) or is it clean and green?
4. As for weather, everyone here says Cardiff is VERY wet, but when I looked online, it says Cardiff is one of the drier spots in the UK. How often does it really rain there?

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 PM

One more thing, what are the home prices or rental prices per month like? What sort of taxes and charges does one pay in the UK for housing?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 AM

Direct motorway link to London [M4]
Public transport within the City one of the best outside London. Buses around every 8mins on most routes.
Higher than an English village, but much lower than London. I lived there a number of years and still go back on a regular basis. It was never a worry..
3. Is the city depressed (as in unkept,run-down,trash filled) or is it clean and green?
Anyone who hasn`t been there since the 80s is amazed at the changes. Billions were spent in the 90s and I can`t fault the place.
4. As for weather, everyone here says Cardiff is VERY wet, but when I looked online, it says Cardiff is one of the drier spots in the UK. How often does it really rain there?
It rains more there than the eastern side of the UK as our prevailing weather arrives from the West so it is one of the first to get it. I wouldn`t worry on that score, we just enjoy complaining about the weather.

Rent or Buy..
CARDIFF ESTATE AGENTS - Property and houses for sale or rent in Cardiff and surrounding area.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:18 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi there, I too have questions about Cardiff, some of which were answered here. These are questions I have:

Thanks,
Daniel
My mate lived there for about 4 years from the 97 to 2001. The difference in those few years was amazing as the marina abd stadium were built. Along with the investment came some great new developments. This has pushed prices up.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 PM

296 posts, read 802,945 times
I live in Swansea about 50 miles from Cardiff but have had a couple of jobs in Cardiff lately and I commute. I love Cardiff. I usually work in the City centre but this current job is on City Road in the asian area. This area is a little run down but not that bad. I rather like it. Yes, there are poor areas around Cardiff but Cardiff itself is lovely, and yes this is reflected in the property prices.

The weather in Cardiff is no different that anywhere else I have been in the UK.

From Cardiff it is dead easy to get into London on the M4 and it is close to the M5 for easy access to the Midlands or down to Devon.

I have not found that the people in Cardiff speak Welsh, not live here in Swansea. In fact, I am not sure that I have run into anyone from Cardiff who does in fact speak Welsh.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Interesting. Thank you all for the information.

Daniel

Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
I live in Swansea about 50 miles from Cardiff but have had a couple of jobs in Cardiff lately and I commute. I love Cardiff. I usually work in the City centre but this current job is on City Road in the asian area. This area is a little run down but not that bad. I rather like it. Yes, there are poor areas around Cardiff but Cardiff itself is lovely, and yes this is reflected in the property prices.

The weather in Cardiff is no different that anywhere else I have been in the Uk

I have not found that the people in Cardiff speak Welsh, not live here in Swansea. In fact, I am not sure that I have run into anyone from Cardiff who does in fact speak Welsh.
City RD,,,,My soliciter had his office there..He has moved to Newport Rd since though,,
My Mrs speaks enough Welsh to confuse the English, and has made sure, I as an Englishman, isn`t confused.....If that makes sense?
But if I quote Welsh to most of my Cardiff born friends, they tell me to stop showing off, and indeed to **** off!!

PS ..got loads of friends around Ammanford....

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 03-09-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom