Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

The thing is, as we know, the Russians said they would attack the English and attack the English they have, any Englishman of any age, not only that the French have decided they will do the exact same thing, the French police will let them too, until of course the English try to defend themselves. I am an English football fan and I have friends that are there. They have been attacked on several occasions by the French AND the Russians who have 'teamed up' to basically kick in any English heads they can find. Now this is the thing they know that they will have a 'free hand' at beating up any English person they find because at the end of the day the English WILL get the blame for all this, for them its a win win situation. The English don't help themselves, they get drunk, they get obnoxious but can you really blame them for trying to defend themselves? Why do the French and Russians want to beat up as many English people as they can? Is it because everybody hates the English? Is it because of 'past reputations' (probably) but I think its also because they can and get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:38 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
I dont know the answer, there are decent people there who love their football and have spent money to get over there.. others though go just to cause and get into bother.. thats their aim.. get drunk and fight.. Some were seen from earlier in the same spot still fighting when they could have walked away and visited other parts of the city but they stayed and for what, for a fight.... seems there are troublemakers everywhere who thrive on fighting..

Old 06-12-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont know the answer, there are decent people there who love their football and have spent money to get over there.. others though go just to cause and get into bother.. thats their aim.. get drunk and fight.. Some were seen from earlier in the same spot still fighting when they could have walked away and visited other parts of the city but they stayed and for what, for a fight.... seems there are troublemakers everywhere who thrive on fighting..
I have friends there who I can tell you are NOT looking for a fight, they have however been attacked (more than once) and tear gassed by the police, the English hooligans of the 80's are probably to blame for this, the fact is wherever and whenever the English go to a tournament they WILL be targeted, they WILL get blamed and they WILL be targeted again the following tournament, in England if somebody is found guilty of hooliganism they have their passports taken from them tournament time, the Russians? They are simply denying that anything is happening at all, the English are supposed to be the hooligans yet if you go to a game in England the stadiums are full of families, there are no fences, no police with dogs, no tear gas, its somewhat different on the continent and yet STILL England is the country with problems with hooliganism, yeah right!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:48 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The thing is, as we know, the Russians said they would attack the English and attack the English they have, any Englishman of any age, not only that the French have decided they will do the exact same thing, the French police will let them too, until of course the English try to defend themselves. I am an English football fan and I have friends that are there. They have been attacked on several occasions by the French AND the Russians who have 'teamed up' to basically kick in any English heads they can find. Now this is the thing they know that they will have a 'free hand' at beating up any English person they find because at the end of the day the English WILL get the blame for all this, for them its a win win situation. The English don't help themselves, they get drunk, they get obnoxious but can you really blame them for trying to defend themselves? Why do the French and Russians want to beat up as many English people as they can? Is it because everybody hates the English? Is it because of 'past reputations' (probably) but I think its also because they can and get away with it.
within the ( boneheaded ) context of hooligan culture , beating up english fans is a major scalp as they are the aristocrats of kicking things off at football matches due to happenings many years ago

thats what ive read anyway

Old 06-12-2016, 06:51 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Cant comment on that Easthome... IM not against the England supporters. IM against the ones who go solely looking for trouble.. from any country... it used to be the Casuals who were ferried in to cause bother.. spoiling it for the genuine supporters.. now its not just on the streets but also at the game too.. so sad..

Old 06-12-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
within the ( boneheaded ) context of hooligan culture , beating up english fans is a major scalp as they are the aristocrats of kicking things off at football matches due to happenings many years ago

thats what ive read anyway
Exactly, but will people realise this? I doubt it, the Russians will get away with it while the English will get fined or banned or both. I love football but I'm getting sick of this, if the Russians don't get punished I believe we should boycott the world cup, I wouldn't care anymore, the Premier League is all I will need for my football 'fix', let 'others' worry about the Russian dickheads.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Cant comment on that Easthome... IM not against the England supporters. IM against the ones who go solely looking for trouble.. from any country... it used to be the Casuals who were ferried in to cause bother.. spoiling it for the genuine supporters.. now its not just on the streets but also at the game too.. so sad..
I have been a fan for many years, add to that the fact that my team is Chelsea (notorious in the 80's) and I can tell you I have seen things. Stamford Bridge was a 'poisonous' place in the early 1980's, nobody denies the problems of the past in England (and Scotland too) but the UK is a VERY different place for football now, Russia is twenty five years behind, the fact that their authorities are refusing to even acknowledge the problem doesn't bode well for the 2018 World Cup, in the meantime the international community will simply blame the English for the problems in France.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Looks like there were also clashes between Polish fans and N. Irish ones.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Exactly, but will people realise this? I doubt it, the Russians will get away with it while the English will get fined or banned or both. I love football but I'm getting sick of this, if the Russians don't get punished I believe we should boycott the world cup, I wouldn't care anymore, the Premier League is all I will need for my football 'fix', let 'others' worry about the Russian dickheads.
Thing is, when the police are heavy handed, they always blame the away fans. When locals get involved, blame the away fans. And the media, invariably, are part of that agenda and especially if those fans support a team that is not 'popular'. There are always agendas at play and the ordinary supporter gets onto the receiving end.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
First of all, well done to both the Welsh and English teams yesterday. It was great to see Wales win their first match. Bale scored an amazing goal from a free kick, and Robson-Kanu scored a great goal too. I was getting worried at one point though, when Slovakia scored, and it looked like Wales were tiring.

I watched the England game too, and it seemed like they were on target to win. How unlucky, with a few minutes left to go, that Russia scored. But at least England did not lose and now have a point for a draw.

All of the violence has put a whole dampener on things though. After the English fans were initially getting blamed by the press, it seems like the Russians were goading them (I saw the clip of inside the stadium, on the news). I remember all of the hooliganism in the 80's too but I thought all of that had died down these days.

It's awful that some people have been hospitalised from this. I heard one man had a heart attack, after being kicked in the head. How dreadful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom