Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
No, we won't, there may be celebrations though.
Well, I like a good party!!!

Old 06-23-2016, 01:35 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Also another questions: why does Ireland not have any say so? Aren't they part of the United Kingdom? If Scotland and Wales have a vote why not Ireland. Sorry, very ignorant here about it all.
Northern Ireland gets to vote. The Republic of Ireland is a foreign country although citizens of that country who are resident in the UK are entitled to vote.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
American here trying to understand the world these days. Does belonging to the EU mean you don't have your own controls over your own borders, etc? I have definite thoughts about the refugee situation. How would leaving affect that? I am just watching with interest... also I guess this doesn't affect Canada in any way, does it?
Yes and No.

Free movement of people within the EU means that any EU citizen can live and work in any EU country.

The development of the Schengen area led to the dismantling of border controls amongst members of that area so that travel was more like going from one US state to another. However ... 1) not all EU members were also Schengen members and 2) the refugee crisis led to some Schengen members bringing back border controls.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Boris will build the wall!!

Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
American here...If it does go to leave the EU does it take effect immediately or does your Gov. have to some more work? What kind of things will people see in their everyday lives? Just curious...
Depends.

The UK Government needs to invoke article 50 of the Lisbon treaty. That triggers a 2 year negotiation period regarding the withdrawal. There may be other options in regards to international law (1969 Vienna convention) etc. However the really only plausible exit route is via article 50.

So practically it only begins that process of exiting, and that would be 2 years after invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:19 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
American here...If it does go to leave the EU does it take effect immediately or does your Gov. have to some more work? What kind of things will people see in their everyday lives? Just curious...
I'm American too and haven't researched the pros and cons in any detail at all. I just contacted someone I know in England to see what she thought, here's the jist...

Me: "Hi, curious what you think of Brexit"

Her: "We need to stay in. We need the open transit via Europe, all united as one not isolated"

Me: "Isn't the EU sort of like the U.S. where the countries become more like states rather than independent countries?"

Her: "That where we should be"

Of course this is just the opinion of one person, but I found it interesting.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:30 PM

290 posts, read 210,368 times
The only people I know voting 'Remain' are young people but they are easily led.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:32 PM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm American too and haven't researched the pros and cons in any detail at all. I just contacted someone I know in England to see what she thought, here's the jist...

Me: "Hi, curious what you think of Brexit"

Her: "We need to stay in. We need the open transit via Europe, all united as one not isolated"

Me: "Isn't the EU sort of like the U.S. where the countries become more like states rather than independent countries?"

Her: "That where we should be"

Of course this is just the opinion of one person, but I found it interesting.

That's where we are at already in reality, though each country keeps an official, yet facade independence.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:32 PM

290 posts, read 210,368 times
Quote:
Also another questions: why does Ireland not have any say so? Aren't they part of the United Kingdom? If Scotland and Wales have a vote why not Ireland. Sorry, very ignorant here about it all.
Only Northern Ireland.

The English are complaining because some Irish citizens can vote and they don't like that.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
Only Northern Ireland.

The English are complaining because some Irish citizens can vote and they don't like that.
How can they vote

It's like Germans voting in French elections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom