Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Fish for Fish and Chips?
Cod 26 55.32%
Haddock 11 23.40%
Pollock 1 2.13%
Skate 1 2.13%
Other (Clarify) 8 17.02%
No Preference 3 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I used to love those little bottles of milk! In winter, it was so cold, it gave you a pain in the head when you drank it!!
I remember sitting in class and red crates of these little bottles of milk were piled up at the back of our class. They were never refrigerated, even in the Summer! I would have been glad for Maggie Thatcher The Milk Snatcher to take mine away at that time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
I remember my school meals in the States to be pretty good, especially the deserts and the yeasty bread rolls. I think our meals were 25 cents back in the late 60s and (cold) milk was 2 cents. The price had risen to $1.50 and 12 cents by the time I left school in 1981.

My kids attended school in southern California a little over a decade ago and I was shocked when they said that they need $7 or more for lunch each day. The cafeteria did little of their own cooking and brought in catered meals from local restaurants. They had a choice of Mexican, pizza, burgers, Chinese, sushi and everything else under the sun. It was essentially a pay-as-you-go buffet.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
I remember my school meals in the States to be pretty good, especially the deserts and the yeasty bread rolls. I think our meals were 25 cents back in the late 60s and (cold) milk was 2 cents. The price had risen to $1.50 and 12 cents by the time I left school in 1981.

My kids attended school in southern California a little over a decade ago and I was shocked when they said that they need $7 or more for lunch each day. The cafeteria did little of their own cooking and brought in catered meals from local restaurants. They had a choice of Mexican, pizza, burgers, Chinese, sushi and everything else under the sun. It was essentially a pay-as-you-go buffet.
When I started school in 1957, the price of a school dinner was 1 shilling. We paid on a Monday for the whole week. 5 shillings was just over $1 back in those days, so the equivalent of about 20 cents a day. It remained that price all through my time at school.

The first eight years of dinners we stood in line, and worked our way past a group of dinner ladies each in charge of groups of food. I believe back then, the government had rules on content of the meals. There had to be potatoes, various vegetables, and a choice of meat. Followed by some sort of afters like jam roly poly and custard.

Then, when I was 12 years old, the system changed. Instead of all the kids eating in a large dining hall. We were split up into six groups in separate buildings. These were known as 'house blocks.' They had names like 'Windsor' 'Stuart' and mine was 'Lancaster' block. Each block had it's own kitchen. Now we sat on round tables of six kids, and one teacher. When we were all sat, a dinner lady bought to the table a large tray full of oblong metal tureens. Each of these had a different food inside, like potatoes, veg, and meat.

Now, my friend Harold and myself soon found out which were the fussy kids, and made sure we sat with them. A fussy teacher was harder to find, but beggars can't be choosers. The lids of the tureens would be removed to choruses of 'I don't like that......' Harold and I smiled to ourselves, as the teacher loaded up our plates........ We would polish off our share, and that of the kids who didn't like some of the food.

As I said before, the rice pudding was best. It came in a large bowl with a ladle. I will agree, it was a little lumpy....... The cries of 'I don't like that' filled the air, as Harold and I ate most of it....... I tell ya........ it was great value for 1 shilling!!

When I visited my son's school, and saw the system in place by then, I was shocked. It was like a fast food joint, with a big menu on the wall. They literally had burger and chips, pizza, and all sorts of things like that. No sign of any vegetables, or genuinely nutritious food. The cheapest meal was about £1, which was 20 times the price mine had been. I know we had inflation in the intervening years, but this was ridiculous. I think this was about the year 1991, so gawd knows what they're paying now for a school dinner!!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
I used to love those little bottles of milk! In winter, it was so cold, it gave you a pain in the head when you drank it!!
hahahahah so it did... and you saved up the wee silver foil tops for some African charity..

Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahahah so it did... and you saved up the wee silver foil tops for some African charity..
That's right dizzy, we did!! I had forgotten about that.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:14 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
That's right dizzy, we did!! I had forgotten about that.
a seem to remember them being put on a string to send away.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Oh, somehow this has reminded me. Yesterday:

Old 08-18-2016, 04:23 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
^Looks good.

Today one of my local seafood places ran out of Cod for Fish & Chips. Haddock isn't the end of the world, to me, though. After having Baked Cod and Fried Haddock, I wouldn't mind Baked Haddock and Fried Cod (if that made any sense at all).

Old 08-19-2016, 08:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times

Irresistible, especially with lashings of S&V!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
My Fish Lunch

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	173925
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom